Good Bye David Bowie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved him. He was quite the character, and so talented.

RIP.

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1452551577.068017.jpg

20-25yrs ago I used to play Ziggy Stardust every now and then in a band, along with a few other Bowie tunes. I rarely play any of my electric guitars any more. I have softened with age. I usually just play an acoustic now.
After work today I decided to break out my old trusty Ibanez and give it a whirl. While I was putting new stings on it I YouTubed Ziggy. Low and behold I have been playing the opening lick wrong all these years.............:yum:
I was lucky enough to see him live several times. It was always a great show.

That was a past life. Now I just play around the apartment. I got tired of poverty...:)
Well I was a singer/songwriter that performed just so my songs were heard, i.e. not bothered about becoming professional or making money at it, i.e. tied to a contract having to churn out so many songs annually. (It was the creative process that interested me).

Re. poverty - I guess you never busked then? I did it initially to get the confidence needed to perform in clubs....can be quite lucrative, i.e. with the right song!;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back on track, musicians say Bowie's music was quite hard to play, i.e. not straightforward. He said he never wanted to be a rock star...not done badly then, huh? Sad loss.

Last edited:
Well I was a singer/songwriter that performed just so my songs were heard, i.e. not bothered about becoming professional or making money at it, i.e. tied to a contract having to churn out so many songs annually. (It was the creative process that interested me).

Re. poverty - I guess you never busked then? I did it initially to get the confidence needed to perform in clubs....can be quite lucrative, i.e. with the right song!;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back on track, musicians say Bowie's music was quite hard to play, i.e. not straightforward. He said he never wanted to be a rock star...not done badly then, huh? Sad loss.

Yes I have played on the streets for tips.:) I was never very good at writing songs. I also used to play open mike nights and try to hustle beers.... I just played for any one that would listen. I spent 6 years playing what I called the "chitlin circuit ". We played all over the south. It is what I call the best time of my life I would never do again...:yum: I love music, it is just not what I want to do for a living.

I also see some similarity between cooking and playing. They both involve the Creative process.

Back to topic. You are right Bowie music is not straightforward, that's what made it fun to play. Mick Ronson did a heck of a job on early Bowie recordings.

G'night, Major Tom. Safe travels.

A close friend of our son's (and, therefore, us) is beside herself. She went to college with Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, at the College of Wooster in OH. They graduated in 2005. While the friend never met Bowie or Iman, she did see them with Duncan at graduation. Must have been way cool!

BTW, if we play "Six Degrees...." with Bowie rather than Kevin Bacon, I think this puts Himself and me only three degrees away from Bowie. The closest I'll ever get to fame, unless you want to consider being friends with the real-life Trista Moldovan.

Strangely, DH came downstairs last night to tell me about his earworm: Ground Control to Major Tom.

I was having a rough night at work when I heard the news. Started crying and could not stop for a bit.

RIP David Bowie, you were a touchstone in my life.

I'm somewhat of a weepy slob. Lovely pic, GG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom