"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Holy moly Katie, that sounds awful! Stay safe! You need all YOUR limbs intact. Want to borrow my ice chipper? Its a gooder. You'd be at your feeders lickety split. Do they predict more storms for you?
Yes, Alix, another storm is supposed to arrive late this afternoon and/or tonight. If the ice keeps accumulating like it has, power lines will go down and we will have no electricity.

It's looking similar to the ultra-storm in January of 2009, but I hope it weakens. Don't want to go through that again...not ever the rest of my life.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #112
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Hahahahaha!!! I get you now. When I read your post initially, I thought you were referring to the leather straps on beds and was confused. I'm off to get that second cup of java now. Yeesh. What kind of training did you guys do? NVCI?
We've learned to avoid being bitten, hit, kicked and how to re-approach. All without needing a "restraint". With my patients, we can most often outrun them and watch for warning signs of violence.

No leather straps, but we used to have chairs that would tilt back so people could not stand on their own, especially those that lack safety awareness and judgement into their deficits.

We have TABS Alarms now and "they" want to take those away also. So now we have floor alarms that go off when someone stands on them. Really they are alarms to let us know someone is already down on the floor.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Good morning!! What's good about it?!

We are totally encased in ice and more is forming. The trees now have limbs touching the ground around them and our clothesline has an amazing sag on all 4 lines. Sheesh! The poor birdies are eating from the feeders like they're starved and it's danged cold for our region.

I wanted to get to the big bird feeder in the back but there's at least an inch or more of ice on the ground. Solid and mirror slick. I won't go out in that because I don't want to break any part of my body.

More ice is supposed to come tonight. Yeah!

I want to be on the beach in Belize!
I think throwing the bird seed out back is a good idea - they'll find it. Take care of yourself! Hoping for a thaw soon.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #114
Chef Extraordinaire

DH and I went out for brunch today to a fairly new bakery in town. They have really good quiches, sandwiches and salads, as well as a huge array of baked goodies. I asked about buying some sourdough starter and the baker said no problem So I'm going back tomorrow with a quart canning jar and get some.

Now I'm sitting in the recliner, listening to the rain, reading the Sunday paper and catching up here.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Oh dear Katie. I sure hope you don't get too much more ice. We were without power (all electric house) for 8 days in the January 1998 ice storm.

It sounds like you need some ice walkers:

Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

I spent two hours with serious diarrhea and stomach pain and one episode of vomiting. I was so tired and just wanted to go back to bed, but couldn't. Today I am feeling fragile and have a pretty bad headache. I'm doing the BRATT diet thing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAT_diet).

I wonder what could have caused it. Stirling hasn't had any symptoms. He is such a sweety. He walked to the health food store in unpleasant weather to buy me bananas and applesauce. Oh my, that organic applesauce is delicious. I'm not eating the toast, I'm substituting crisp rye bread and whole wheat saltines.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh yuck, Taxy! Not good!

{{{{Taxy}}}}. Now just don't puke on me. Feel better soon!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #118
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh yuck, Taxy! Not good!

{{{{Taxy}}}}. Now just don't puke on me. Feel better soon!
Thanks Dawg.

That was all last night, 04h30 - 06h30. No episodes today, but I really don't feel tvery good. Still feeling a bit queasy and have a headache and I don't want to take anything with ASA (aspirin). Acetaminophen and ibuprofen don't work for me.

Ooh, I just remembered I have some of this stuff, similar to Tiger Balm: Eagle Brand Yellow Balm 40g / 1.41 oz - SGBox.com (but my jar is half that size) and I just rubbed some on my temples and it seems to be helping.

The bananas are in a bag with an apple. They are mostly not ripe. Stirling is somewhat colour blind and they all looked like a shade of brown to him.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We did away with Restraint Training...we don't use them anymore. Someone in the Gov't decided the elderly have the right to fall, even if it does cause broken bones and head injuries.

I had a full day planned, but I really don't want to do anything...so I won't.
PF at Winthrop they have chair pads that if the patient stands up an alarm sounds. Also, the patients at risk of falling have a sticker placed on their back where it can be seen very easily that says FALLING and is shaped like a cartoon explosion balloon. It is bright red. Can't miss it. The system seems to work. They did have one patient die in her chair. Everyone thought she fell asleep. Come lunch time, when they went to wake her up, they made the discovery.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #120
Chef Extraordinaire

When I worked at a convalescent hospital and nursing home, I don't think anyone had been trained in restraints. They tied patients to their chairs and beds and potty chairs with a special wide piece of fabric. I thought it was awful. I said they should get bean bag chairs and anyone who could get out if it was probably okay to walk around.