"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #141
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Katie, how did it go with the ice storm?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #142
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Katie, how did it go with the ice storm?

We're still digging out a bit. It lasted from last Thursday night until Tuesday. It began with freezing rain and continued for several days. Everything was coated with ice and kept getting coated.

Many of our trees had limbs touching the ground they were so heavy with ice. Power lines were stretched to the max and we were prepared to lose power at any time. However, thankfully, that didn't happen.

Glenn took the 4-wheeler out yesterday to check the acreage for broken trees and downed fences due to trees/limbs. Fortunately, he didn't discover anything.

We didn't get mail delivery until Tuesday. No big deal to us, though, as all we ended up with was a dump of holiday catalogues. Big deal!

Thank God, it wasn't as dire at the one in 2009!

Thanks for asking.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #143
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
Good morning. I shouldn't be awake this early, but mizzphinz is having breakfast with her brothers and it was impossible to stay sleeping.
PHINZ! Wow! Long time no see! Good to see you.

Hey all, I missed this morning as I had an early shift today. Hope everyone had a good day. Katie, good to see you're starting to dig out from under.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #144
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
PHINZ! Wow! Long time no see! Good to see you.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #145
Everymom

Time to revive the "What is this?" picture thread if you're going to be around. You've been missed sir!

Morning all, I've been perusing flyers, making my lists and girding my loins for a run out shopping. Wish me luck!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #146
Certified Cake Maniac

Morning all, I have been posting a bit already, but just really woke up thanks to the protein shake TB left for me. He is such a sweetie.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #147
Chef Extraordinaire

Good Morning everyone. I woke up to finding our local newspaper slid under my door. We have a Charter School here in Eastie that wants to build a high school. Right now they are occupying two separate locations for their students in grades 1-8. You can't find a better school anywhere. The kids in this school come out #1 in the State for the MCAS tests each year. You know how kids at the end of the day are yelling and running around when they get out? Not these kids. They are so polite. These kids are a definite asset to this community. They will be building right next to the brand spanking new library we got this year.

Last year they bought a Catholic school that had been closed and completely renovated it for their middle school kids. It is right around the corner from the building where I live.

I got a call from Poo already this morning checking up on me. It's a good thing I don't have anything planned that would not be in my best interest. I would never get away with it.

Tonight Doc Martin is on. Spike makes it here every Wednesday, rain or shine to watch it with me. I can't wait until the new season starts. The two of us sit roaring our heads off. We are both in agreement that we need someone like him in our family.

Today I am going to get all the dry ingredients measured out for the chocolate cake. And I have decided to make it a poke cake with chocolate syrup in the center. I will also have to make the syrup today. I have a couple of tiny funnels that will work perfectly to pour the syrup into the holes. And then there are the holly leaves that need to be made from royal icing. Those are fun to make. And yes, I will take pictures.

Ta ta for now, I am off to the kitchen to get busy!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #148
Everymom

Morning all. I am having a quiet grump. My remote car starter has been on the fritz for quite some time and just the other day my amazing husband fixed it for me. It worked for 3 days and died again. ARGH! I decided to see if I could get it fixed and they want to charge me $140 for it. Um...a NEW one would be less than that. Phooey.

heh heh heh...Just realized my grump isn't so quiet after all.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #149
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Morning all. I am having a quiet grump. My remote car starter has been on the fritz for quite some time and just the other day my amazing husband fixed it for me. It worked for 3 days and died again. ARGH! I decided to see if I could get it fixed and they want to charge me $140 for it. Um...a NEW one would be less than that. Phooey.

heh heh heh...Just realized my grump isn't so quiet after all.
Morning! I don't know if this is possible for you, but I lost my electronic car key last spring. When I called the dealership about a replacement, it was over $100, I think. I called a local keymaker, too. A woman there told me they could replace it for $80, but that I could buy it on eBay and program it myself. And it worked!

It cost $15 for two and came with programming instructions for my vehicle - just pressing buttons on the key and in the car in a certain order - and took just a few minutes.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #150
Everymom

Get out! eBay? I'm off to look! Thanks GG!