Good Morning Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I worked at a convalescent hospital and nursing home, I don't think anyone had been trained in restraints. They tied patients to their chairs and beds and potty chairs with a special wide piece of fabric. I thought it was awful. I said they should get bean bag chairs and anyone who could get out if it was probably okay to walk around.

They used to tie patients in their chair. in this country. But a major lawsuit was brought about and the practice was ruled illegal and a form of kidnapping. :angel:

They used to tie patients in their chair. in this country. But a major lawsuit was brought about and the practice was ruled illegal and a form of kidnapping. :angel:
I don't know if they do it anymore here. This was in the mid '70s.

PF at Winthrop they have chair pads that if the patient stands up an alarm sounds. Also, the patients at risk of falling have a sticker placed on their back where it can be seen very easily that says FALLING and is shaped like a cartoon explosion balloon. It is bright red. Can't miss it. The system seems to work. They did have one patient die in her chair. Everyone thought she fell asleep. Come lunch time, when they went to wake her up, they made the discovery. :angel:

We have the seat alarms, too...like I said before, you hear the alarm and it means, "I'm on the floor, come pick me up." They always forget these people are demented, not stupid...they figure out how to get around the alarms. And they are not always in our line of sight.

We have the seat alarms, too...like I said before, you hear the alarm and it means, "I'm on the floor, come pick me up." They always forget these people are demented, not stupid...they figure out how to get around the alarms. And they are not always in our line of sight.

We have aides assigned to each table in the day room and I have to say, they are right there when they hear the alarm. We have one that sits at the Knitting Club table and we all keep an eye on her. There are five tables, and seven aides. The extra two are for taking a patient to the bathroom. :angel:

That's a nice staffing ratio, ours is 1:14 and our residents go to their rooms, they are not all sitting in one room for the day. In a facility of 182 beds, it's difficult to keep folks from falling if they are determined to get up and fall.

No falling down today. For any reason. No icy steps, no slippery floors and no getting up from a chair if assistance is needed.

Good Morning. I finally woke up early enough to wish you all a good and cheerful day.

That's a nice staffing ratio, ours is 1:14 and our residents go to their rooms, they are not all sitting in one room for the day. In a facility of 182 beds, it's difficult to keep folks from falling if they are determined to get up and fall.

Winthrop has a very large day room. The residents there get up in the morning, get dressed, have breakfast in the day room. Day trips in good weather are planned. They also have a fenced in patio where they can sit outside in warm weather. They have parties, have sing a-longs, etc. Some of these patients are very frail and are the ones with the alarm pads and stickers. Some are in the very first stages of Alzheimer's. Then there are some advanced Alzheimer patients that stay behind locked doors and do not come into the day room. These are patients that have become violent in the past. They have their own day room where they are free to play the piano, have an aide work on a one/one basis is needed, and are watched closely.

Then there are patients like myself. We live in our own homes, and go to Winthrop at least once a month for our vitals to be checked and any other problems checked. We have a re-evaluation every six months to make sure our mental state has not deteriorated. Every time I am re-evaluated, when they are through, they send a letter to Poo (my medical proxy) and let him know the results. The re-evaluation consists of my meeting with every member of my medical team starting with my doctor for a physical exam, the NP, social worker, head nurse, dietician, physical therapist, a complete blood workup, and a home visit to make sure I am safe in my home. I have available to me if I choose to ask for it, a housekeeper that will come every day if needed, a pick up laundry service that will wash, dry fold and bring back my laundry wrapped in brown paper. Meals on Wheels, carpet cleaning every six months and windows washed once a year. Anything I want or need is mine just for the asking. From extra safety bars to my scooter. I also have a "Help, I have fallen" service.

They are well staffed. And our care is very comprehensive. I know I bitch about it being invasive a lot, but all in all, I don't have any medical worries. I am very fortunate. I get for $233.00 a months rent, all the heat, hot water and electricity that I choose to use along with building and grounds maintenance . :angel:

Last edited:
Whiskadoodle, feel free to wish us a good afternoon too! Nice to see you.

Morning msm, PF, Addie. Hope you all have lovely days. I'm off to restrain my coworkers!

Whiskadoodle, feel free to wish us a good afternoon too! Nice to see you.

Morning msm, PF, Addie. Hope you all have lovely days. I'm off to restrain my coworkers!

Good morning Alix...your day sounds more fun than mine. I know a couple co-workers I'd like to restrain!

Slow start for me this morning, got the blood work done and now, I'm back home and reluctant to get started for work.

Plus you have your family to look out with you too Addie. That's a blessing.

And they really do. One of them shows up every day to check on me and make sure I am still alive. Just a phone call won't do. They know how I can lie. "I am okay. Thanks for calling." While I lay of the floor waiting for help! :angel:

Morning all. Just checking in before I run off for my last day of training. Thank the LORD its my last day of training! My goodness my bum is sore! I gotta stop being the practice dummy.

Good morning to all of you also, I think. I went to my 10 o'clock appointment and as soon as I got back my ride to my next appointment was waiting for me. I was up all night and I am exhausted. I was thinking my second appointment was at 4 p.m. I have to cancel some of these appointments. There are just too many and they are mostly a follow up appointment. Nothing major. I don't know why, but appointments exhaust me. It takes all my energy and just sucks it out of me. Two in one day is just too much. I think I am finally beginning to feel my age. Time to slow down a little. :angel:

I missed this morning. It was a good one, worked for 11 hours. Trying to get things caught up before my appointment on Friday!

Good Morning. We have a balmy 20°F, the sun has not reached us yet and I'm wondering why I don't have any coffee in front of me. Off to the races!!

I'm awake and hungry. I had a small container of vanilla yogourt (too sweet) and am trying to decide what else my stomach won't dislike. This is hard before my first coffee and I'm not about to have coffee on an empty stomach, yet.

Chilly willy here today. When I got up at 7 it was 24F. And, now, about 2 hours later, it's screamed all the way up to 28F. Zowie.

At least it's sunny and there's no precip happenin' and none predicted.

The bird feeders are doing a brisk business and it looks as though I'm going to have to put more suet in the suet cages. I just glanced out the window,and it looks like I'm going to have to fill the feeder out front. It's totally empty.

Don't have any pressing things to do today, just the holiday open house at Glenn's mom's assisted living facility and that's not until 4 this afternoon. Mulled cider, hot chocolate, Christmas cookies, hot and cold munchies and a tour of all the Christmas trees, along with a judging form to choose our favorite. We went last year and enjoyed it. I think the old folks enjoyed it more because there was activity and plenty of people to talk to.

Other than the visit to Glenn's mom's place, we're stickin' close to home and...inside.

Back
Top Bottom