Good News/Bad News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Well, the good news is that I got my car back. It has been sitting in the yard for almost 2 years (couldn't afford to get it fixed, and we have one that runs) and was taken off to be repaired 2 months ago. For various reasons it took the guy a while to get to it (that's not his regular day job). He knew I wouldn't have a way to get it, so he delivered it this evening. I wasn't home at the time, but as soon as I got home I tried it out.

That's where the bad news comes in. It turned on and sounded so good. I adjusted the mirrors and reset my radio station, while our dog Cubbie tried out the back seat. So far, so good. Then I put it in reverse and it died. I started it up again. I put it in drive and it died. Right now it appears I have an air conditioned radio/CD player. Hopefully it is something small and I won't lose it again for a long time.

So, what's your good news/bad news? Let us know!

:) Barbara

LOL What counts is up to you! No rules. :cool:

As far as the car goes, James is probably right. It is low on gas and has old gas. We'll see what happens!

:)Barbara

I had a problem like that once, that is my car would start up ok, then the engine would cut out shortly. Had to have the fuel filter replaced. The filter will get clogged if the car is consistently run on a nearly empty tank so I was told! The repair didn't take long if it's any consolation.

I need to do this backwards i.e., BAD news THEN good news.....

I saw my ex this evening.:sick:................I'm not married to him anymore :clap:

We just had the fuel tank, fuel pump, brakes, and who knows what else replaced (well, I guess James knows! lol) so I'm sure that was replaced too. Thanks for the suggestion though. The car has just been sitting so long and it is pretty low on gas.

I need to do this backwards i.e., BAD news THEN good news.....

I saw my ex this evening.:sick:................I'm not married to him anymore :clap:

Yeah, Vicky. That is the right order. I know how you feel.

Oh, Barbara. Too bad about your car. Sounds as though it is possessed by gremlins. Maybe everyone on DC could get together and cast a spell to get your car back to working order.:LOL::LOL: Just a thought.

It probably is old gas. Try putting a gas treatment or two in. You can get them at Walmarts.

What was wrong with the car in the fist place? What had to be done to fix it? If it was a serious repair, the current problem could be a result of an improper adjustment from the previous fix. The timing could be off, or the idle is set too low.

It could be the gas or clogged fuel injectors, or even a dirty air filter. A full tune ups (oil, oil filter, air filter, gas treatment, new plugs, rotor cap and button if applicable, etc) is advisable at this point.

Good news bad news huh? I had a LOT of that yesterday.

Bad news - Daughter calls me as I'm driving home from work to tell me in a panicked voice the toilet is overflowing and she can't unclog it or stop it from overflowing. Ew.
Good news - I was right around the corner and could fix that problem within minutes. Toilet unclogged and water mopped up ASAP.
Bad news - Other daughter hollers from downstairs that the ceiling in her bedroom is dripping water (shes under the bathroom). ARGH! Mop up that mess as well and attempt to see if it was a pipe or just overflowed water.
Good news - Just overflowed water not a burst pipe. WHEW!

Then it was into "hurry up" mode to get dinner on the table. I only have a 1/2 hour window on Tuesdays to have us sit down together. Daughter #1 gets home from dance at 6pm and daughter #2 leaves for dance at 6:30pm so we only have a small window. I was rushing around getting the chicken breast BBQ'ed and putting the finishing touches on the caesar salad etc.
Good news - Dinner hit the table at precisely 6:00pm!
Bad news - While getting dinner to the table from the BBQ I stepped in fresh dog poo (Murray deposited while I was cooking) WITH BARE FEET!!! EWWWWWW!!!!!

Good news bad news huh? I had a LOT of that yesterday.

Bad news - Daughter calls me as I'm driving home from work to tell me in a panicked voice the toilet is overflowing and she can't unclog it or stop it from overflowing. Ew.
Good news - I was right around the corner and could fix that problem within minutes. Toilet unclogged and water mopped up ASAP.
Bad news - Other daughter hollers from downstairs that the ceiling in her bedroom is dripping water (shes under the bathroom). ARGH! Mop up that mess as well and attempt to see if it was a pipe or just overflowed water.
Good news - Just overflowed water not a burst pipe. WHEW!

Then it was into "hurry up" mode to get dinner on the table. I only have a 1/2 hour window on Tuesdays to have us sit down together. Daughter #1 gets home from dance at 6pm and daughter #2 leaves for dance at 6:30pm so we only have a small window. I was rushing around getting the chicken breast BBQ'ed and putting the finishing touches on the caesar salad etc.
Good news - Dinner hit the table at precisely 6:00pm!
Bad news - While getting dinner to the table from the BBQ I stepped in fresh dog poo (Murray deposited while I was cooking) WITH BARE FEET!!! EWWWWWW!!!!!

I have to take a nap after just reading all that! :LOL:

lol, Alix! I dunno if I could handle that much good news/bad news in one day! :unsure:

my Good News: My Mom, My Daughter, and I are going to a wonderful dinner theatre tomorrow night (Thursday)....:cool:

my Bad News: My beloved 24 year old son, James, moved out of the house on Sunday.....:cry: Some might say, "It's about time!", but it's my first experience with the 'empty nest' syndrome, and I didn't like it! :( ...sigh....

sugarbrown - it is time but I can certainly understand it. Mine is still at home (20) - I will miss him terribly when/if :LOL: he moves out!

Thanks for the hug, Alix, and yes, Kitchenelf, it IS hard....

He was gone a lot anyway for this and that and the other, but when he actually moved his electronics and his bed and his clothes and his memorabilia, wel-l-l-l....that was reality! :ohmy:

When he was gone and before he picked up his bed, et al, I had a lie down on it holding DooDa, his babyhood stuffed dog,.....and contemplated life.... ;)

Hmmm, good news/bad news huh...

Bad news - my TB skin test was positive when it was read on Monday.

Good news - just got back from chest X-rays and ound out it's not active TB, I was just exposed at one point but my body fought it off.

Glad to hear it jeninga75!

If you get lonely and need to talk sugarbrown, we're here for you!

Alix, I hope today is a much better (and less smelly) day for you!

Keltin and Gossie, the original problem was the fuel pump. It was replaced (the fuel tank too, since the pump is inside it). Several things were replaced, just as a preventative measure, and it had a tune-up. I wish he had just put gas in it--we would have gladly paid for it. We had already bought some fuel injector and carburetor cleaner and I will add it when I get gas. The car, by the way, is a 1992 Geo Storm which we bought 2 years ago. When it is running it is a fantastic car. It sounds good now--so hopefully gas and gas treatment will do the trick.

Attachments

• Our new car.jpg
    Our new car.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Barbara, that problem does sound a lot like bad gas! It may have gotten water in the gas as well since the tank was taken off and replaced. You’re on the right track with new gas and a fuel additive. Look for one that not only cleans and boosts octane, but can also deal with water in the gas.

Back
Top Bottom