"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I have been there with chemo, but I was 24 years younger than I am today. It is pretty brutal, depending in the type and dose. He's going to need our continuing prayers and support. But it sounds like he is feeling stronger and more confident - thanks to our messengers...you guys are just great! Thanks again.
Oh Karen, I can't imagine you as a woman that young going through that! It must have been dreadful and really terrifying. How did you get through it? What kinds of things helped you the most? I hope it doesn't bring back painful memories, but as someone who has conquered this, I would really appreciate your insight so that I can be a good, supportive friend.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #12
Head Chef

I think Dave is gonna be really sick after chemo. He may be in the hospital longer than he thinks. Plus, his white/red blood cell counts and platelet count needs to be constantly monitored. Those counts could go dangerously low. I will pray for him. I hope he continues to improve, a positive outlook is really important.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
Head Chef

It is hard to know how one person over another is going to be able to handle chemo. I have a friend with the same condition as Dave who is around 60 yrs old and she has no side effects whatsoever. She is blessed and truly amazing. I am hoping that Dave is like her.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Great to hear it!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
Head Chef

Dave was released from the hospital today. I was unable to reach him and the switchboard told me. I don't know if he is home or at a rehab facility but I know at least he is that much closer to a better meal. I left my number on his answering machine. If he is home, I hope to hear from him. Or maybe he will just show back here himself!! Woo hoo wouldn't that be grand!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
Head Chef

Thanks for the update - I was just wondering about him! I hope he is feeling better and at home.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
Master Chef

Can't wait to see him posting again!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When I talked with him last he lamented that his computer was on the fritz and he needed t get someone to attend to it. We may not see him posting until it's all better.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I just spoke to Dave and yes, he's home!!!! He has to go back in the hospital on Thursday, when they will install a Mediport (a central line) and start his chemo. His docs said he will need to stay a few days until they see how his heart responds to the chemo. But Dave said he had to get home for at least a day or so to make arrangements for his kitty, Missy. His sister has been feeding her but is not healthy enough to deal with the cat box cleaning so he's going to work something out.

He said he received about a half a dozen Get Well cards today!!! He was so surprised! The hospital did forward them to his home so they were waiting for him. He said to tell all of you Thank You so much and how much it meant to him. He joked about becoming an evangelist after he finishes chemo and making a CD called "The Power Of Prayer" because he believes all the prayers offered here have kept him alive!

He still can't breathe well but he sounded so happy to sit in his chair and have Missy in his lap. I could sure hear her in the background - she's one happy kitty!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

That's so good to hear! Our prayers will continue of course.

Barbara