Goody Bags ......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellyCooks

Senior Cook
I need help! I have been invited to a birthday party for a 91 year old lady. The hostess wants every one to bring a goody bag with 91 things in it. For example, 91 almonds for health or 91 pennies to jingle in your pocket or 91 candy kisses because you are so sweet, etc., etc. She asks that each bag be tied with a bow and labeled as above. She also said to be creative! I have two weeks before the party and wonder if anyone out there has some ideas. I've never been asked to do anything like this and am at a loss right now. Thanks for any ideas!

Personally, I think that is a bad idea--a 91-year old person doesn't need a bunch of trinkets, candy, etc. My brother and I have slowly been culling clutter and trinkets from our 80+ parents' house. But, you could go with 91 dishwasher tablets (if she has a dishwasher--cleanliness is close to godliness), or 91 pepples from a nearby beach...or 91 postage stamps...I would go with s/thing useful and practical and consumable or 91 sweetheart candies...

Wow, that's a lot for the hostess to ask of anyone.
Is the birthday girl on a restricted diet?

Just an idea, how about if she can have it 91 Hershey's Kisses (hugs) wrapped all up in a pretty cellophane bag?

91+1 to grow on filled helium balloons. Put a few in a bag make it look like a bouquet. Weigh it down with a brick. Just kidding.

Munky.

How about 91 note cards with some inspirational sayings. You buy the cards and write the quotes and sayings on the inside and she opens one each day. Gives her something to look forward to, doesn't take up a lot of space. Easily recycled after she's done with them.

Chef Munky said:
Wow, that's a lot for the hostess to ask of anyone.

91+1 to grow on filled helium balloons. Put a few in a bag make it look like a bouquet. Weigh it down with a brick. Just kidding.

Munky.

:LOL: Have you seen the movie, "Up"?

What about a rubber band ball with 91 recycled rubber bands? Or a jar of 91 pomegranite seeds, capers, olives, popcorn kernals, peppercorns, pistachios, sunflower seeds for bird food, chocolate covered coffee beans, jelly beans, raisins, etc.

I agree, at 91, she won't want "junk".

Last edited:
Love it! What a cute idea!

Thanks. This is an old idea. I made them years ago - one silver, one black. Noone could believe it was made of long bobby pins. And, I was never short on bobby pins again. lol

Last edited:
You guys are great! I love all of your ideas (okay, maybe I'm not too sure about Steve's idea, but definitely creative!!!). I really like the necklace idea as well as the kisses, cards, seeds ( she loves to feed the birds) Now, all I have to do is make up my mind! Thank you, thank you! And yes, I agree --- this is a lot to ask of guests, but the birthday lady is well worth it!

Interesting...I was got to thinkin' what I would want if I was 91.
Depending on how much you think of this person...the best thing I could come up with is 91 dollars. A lot of money to be sure, but very useful.
I reckon it's not very imaginative, however.

Last edited:
Interesting...I was got to thinkin' what I would want if I was 91.
Depending on how much you think of this person...the best thing I could come up with is 91 dollars. A lot of money to be sure, but very useful.
I reckon it's not very imaginative, however.

If I was 91 I think I would want to be 19 and not be reminded of the next big event in my life! :ermm:

I think the money is a great idea, maybe a few party goers could pitch in together!

Woooo, just had an idea. You can thank Hoot & Aunt Bea.
Ok, I remember 19 it's a faint memory... Not a word people, not one! :LOL:

How about 91 lottery tickets? She can have a good time scratching off the cards. I would. It's fun. Be around if she hits the jack pot.! :ROFLMAO:

Munky.

How about 91 note cards with some inspirational sayings. You buy the cards and write the quotes and sayings on the inside and she opens one each day. Gives her something to look forward to, doesn't take up a lot of space. Easily recycled after she's done with them.

I like this idea! If she is religious you could do bible verses or 91 reasons why she is loved < could get help from others on the last one.

How about a CD with 91 songs from her decade...

If it was a group effort 91 of "services provided" split between people would be nice (like a trip to the grocery store, a chat, a dinner, clean house etc) (I could use that! lol)

I like this idea! If she is religious you could do bible verses or 91 reasons why she is loved < could get help from others on the last one.

How about a CD with 91 songs from her decade...

If it was a group effort 91 of "services provided" split between people would be nice (like a trip to the grocery store, a chat, a dinner, clean house etc) (I could use that! lol)

I love that idea!

And the ideas keep on coming! Wow! Hoot and Aunt Bea -- I, too, thought about money. Not too sure about asking others to pitch in. I also like Chef Munky's idea of lottery tickets. ( Yep -- you can be sure that I will be right by her side as she scratches off the cards. ) Merlot, I think you have a lot of good ideas and Jabbur, too! Now I really have to start thinking and decide if I need help from other guests! Thanks, again! This is turning out to be a little easier than I thought it would be thanks to all of you!

Actually, I think Merlot's idea of "services provided"would be easy for one person to do. 91 "coupons" for the Birthday girl, each worth an hour or more of your time through out the year.

Actually, I think Merlot's idea of "services provided"would be easy for one person to do. 91 "coupons" for the Birthday girl, each worth an hour or more of your time through out the year.
+1

Rides to the hairdresser/grocery store/doctor/dentist
help with housecleaning
ironing
weeding the flower bed
washing the windows
putting things away for the winter (picnic table, lawn furniture)

Not to be disrespectful, but at 91, she probably doesn't need more stuff. And those who will have to deal with her stuff, probably don't need her to have more stuff. My parents have tons of notecards, address labels, etc. They don't need more stuff--most of us don't need more stuff. But they do need help with routine household maintenance and that is what my brother and I do when we make the 2400 mile journey several times a year. We de-clutter (in five years, we've made but a small dent) and help with routine maintenance stuff.

Since my brother and I live so far away, we have often discussed the "how are we going to deal with all their stuff" aspect. We are both adults, have our own stuff, and live across an international border. There are very few things either of us want to bring home--maybe if we were in our 30s, but not now. It is most annoying that people give my mother trinkets--little statues, magnets, etc. These are things she doesn't need and only add to the clutter. If I find s/thing I bought her (one of those foot eggs to get callouses off, for example) still in a drawer, I get rid of it. She isn't using it, therefore, she doesn't need/want it. We have asked that they not do that--that they go and visit with a meal-on-wheels or to help weed the flower beds or take the dock in and out instead. It is easier, I guess, to pick up a trinket than to spend time helping with things that help keep them in their home. And, if the birthday girl lives in a facility, she has limited space for things. Money is good, but if she lives in a facility, she may not be allowed to have more than a certain amount of money every month if on the State's dime.

I understand the hostess wants to make it fun, but some consideration re: what the person is going to do with all that stuff (maybe only 3-4 people will be invited, but if 40-50 people show up with 91 things in a goody bag....) would be nice. I'd probably talk to the hostess about that, but I'm ueber sensitve to people giving the elderly worthless trinkets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom