"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Got a FRIGHT today

I took a nap this afternoon, and while laying there . i heard a loud banging.
thought it was the handyman. then another bang so got up, looking out dining room window. no handyman. shrugged and headed for sunroom where i smoke.

got halfway through computer room where door is to sunroom. a large young man was standing in my sunroom with my back door open. i was very startled and said "what the hell are you doing" he took off out the door and ran behind house next to me. then saw his partner take off as well back to houses behind me, where he cut through the two yards. i pulled door closed and called police.

he must have been in for some minutes, stole my watch and cig. holder case . a few other things were disarranged. gotta say it scared me. son is going to put dead bolt on that door. tonight i am putting two heavy metal rods in track of slider.

very brazen to do that in broad daylight, don't you think? it didn't make me hysterical or anything. since i saw my husband murdered, nothing has scared me to much.

this guy appeared to be white, college aged fellow with hugh backpack.
didn't see his buddy all that well, but he was shorter with dark curly hair, with a backpack as well.

gonna be even more careful than i have been but not a fearful old lady.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Cook

That would certainly scare the daylights out of me. Your one brave lady, take care of yourself!

Old 10-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Babe, that would scare me out of my wits, too! What did the police say? I'd be willing to bet they "visited" other houses in your neighborhood, too. I agree, people who do this in broad daylight are even scarier. It makes me think they aren't scared of anything.

I'm really sorry this happened. Are you nervous about tonight? Is there anyone who can come and stay over tonight?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, good thing for you you woke up when you did.
Sounds like you need a four-legged alert system. I've read most roberries happen during daylight hours (mine happened at dusk several years ago in the city, but I wasn't home). Anything that can draw attention will scare away most "freelance" burglers. Glad you are beefing things up.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Master Chef

OMG, I would be so scared right now. I'm so glad he or they didn't hurt you.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Babe, that would scare me out of my wits, too! What did the police say? I'd be willing to bet they "visited" other houses in your neighborhood, too. I agree, people who do this in broad daylight are even scarier. It makes me think they aren't scared of anything.

I'm really sorry this happened. Are you nervous about tonight? Is there anyone who can come and stay over tonight?

no not scared of tonight. not likely they would come back. i have found a long metal rod to put in runner of sliding door that separates the sunroom from rest of house. will get dead bolt for back door tomorrow. i am going to leave the floodlight on the sunroom porch on tonight. maybe the other doors as well, haven't before because they are really really bright. shines into my bedroom. gonna throw some towels up there.

the police did a search in park looking for them but no luck. i am sure they were long gone by the time police arrived .

it should just make me more security concious
Old 10-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
He might have had a 20 gauge pointed at him if it were me, I'm glad your ok.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Oh wow, so glad you are ok!! You definately are a brave lady! Be safe!!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Head Chef

Oh Babe - I am so glad that this young man was not violent, and did not hurt you. He sounds like an amateur (hopefully), if he was not prepared to be interrupted. is Thomas OK? You are very BRAVE.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Yes, a four legged alarm is good. As for me no such problem here besides the occasional bear. I have three dogs. When I travel I take my one dog Bear who is a great alarm she actually wakes me up from deep sleep. I also have my trusty Beretta 92 FS with extra clips right by the bed. Here at home? We have a sign on the front of house with a pistol outline in metal and it says (We don't dial 911) Babe, what about a good German Shepard they are great companions and protectors and very smart so easy to train. We have one that was abandoned and he is an incredible dog so darn smart and loving.