"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Oh boy, a new baby! Lucky you.
Any chance of a name or pics.
Have loads of fun...............................................

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
Head Chef
Pacanis gives good advise. We adopted a 1 yr old bassett mix last year and she had never lived in a house, so we had to housetrain her. This is what we did, took about 3 months before she was housetrained and now she never has accidents:

1. take the pup out every 1-2 hours, especially right after she eats or drinks ANYTHING.

2. Give a treat and LOTS of praise immediately upon the pup going in the yard. Say things like "its time to go potty" every time you take her out.

3. If she has an accident in the house, do NOT punish her, just thoroughly clean it up and keep taking the dog out. You'll probably have to get up in the night to do this too.

4. Buy a comfortable crate (not too big) and get the pup used to going in there. I fed Lily in her crate and since she loves food, she started hanging out in her crate even when it wasnt dinner time. You might want to buy a kong and stuff it with peanut butter or hot dog bits to keep the dog occupied while they are in their crate.

5. don't expect a pup to hold it very long. It takes time for them to learn to "hold it". And even then, never ever let your dog go longer than 8 hours or so without a potty break. Especially small breed dogs, they have a little bladder.

6. Best advice is to give praise and treats immediately when the dog potties. After awhile you are going to know their "sign" that they need to go out. Lily starts pacing by the back door and I'll say "do you have to go potty?" and she'll give a little jump.

My other dog tries to shake paws when he has to go out.

Just be patient, puppies are a handful but totally worth all the love you'll get back in return.

Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Please my puppies have been here since February and March and cannot believe the activity that never stops. Also please give them plenty of things to chew on. Like Nyla (SP?) bones at Petsmart and chew toys. Last night, found the handle to one of our leather stuffed lazy boys that we just got Christmas chewed on. Does that hurt? Who knows when it happened and which one did it? Have to give a lot of forgiveness and patience. Plus when you see something strange, don't get mad at them unless you see them in action doing the mess. One reason I got TWO was the first one cried the whole time I was gone and the cage was completely wet. After the second one came, crying and wet cage stopped. I still don't understand why they want to get up before 5 in morning to go outside, must be rabbits or something cause I let them go out around 9 night before and I know they can hold it till later.

I am thankful I have them but they are sure taking long time to relax. If they aren't playing with one another they bother me by jumping all the time. I do plan on taking them to Obedience Training but have to be 6 months and I want to make sure I trust the instructors. I have to have the BEST for my dogs!!!! HO HO HO. Now if only they knew that.

I sincerely wish you luck. Oh, be sure to get them Heart and Flea medicine. And a identification tag. My dogs are both microchipped but how would people know who they belonged to unless you take them to vet. I think tag is important. I just saw on Sunday that PetSMart has some kind of machine that makes these kind of tags which I think great idea. Buy their food and tags too. You got a name for the pup? I am happy for you. Really sounds like cute one. Hope no one looking for him. Wouldn't that be a the pits?
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
Head Chef
The minute you take him out of the crate bring him outside and praise him when he goes.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
Master Chef
pacanis has some really good tips!! I would usually clap loudly and say, no, get mine and put them out the doggie door. Mine learned very quickly that way, but, before I got that, I would take them to the door, show them to scratch, then take them out and sit with them until they go and praise them endlessly every time. When they would go on their own, praise them too until they know that is where they go.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
Head Chef
Terry, please post a picture of the puppy when you can.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Just be patient with the little guy they have tiny bladders and go all the time. Besides after eating and waking up they may need to go if they get cold. I don't care for the crate thing at all but it's OK if you make sure they get to go alot. Ive seen some people put the poor creature in a crate from 6:30 at night till 7:00 in the morning and I think that is just way to long. Also if they start whimpering in the crate it probably means they hafto to go. I know I sound like a freak but I am very diligent in making sure my grown dogs go out before I go to bed etc even when they are sleeping I wake them up and go out before I go to bed. I have trained them as well to the command "go pee" and I make sure they do, sometimes they don't need to but I always wait a bit to make sure they want to go sometimes they get so caught up on smelling stuff they don't go which is why I try to remind them over and over to snap to it and go pee. DH is up early in the morning around 4:30 am and they go out again until I wake up.
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Reward the dog with a treat when they are good and let them know when thay are bad. .

gooood jeekinz. good boy.

now go lay down.

hey, it works!!!!

he hee. congrats f-mom. awaiting pics.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #19
Executive Chef
You guys are the best. I feel much better about tackling the whole housebreaking thing. He's already getting the idea that when I take him out, he should pee and seems to really like the praise. So far so good. I know it will be quite a while before he can hold it for any length of time or reliably ask to go out. But hey, it took 3 years with some of my kids so I figure I'll give him at least that long! Here's some pics I took when I got back home tonight of the pup (known as Junior for the moment), my dog Bella and my "pleased as punch" Fisher! He looks like a fair amount of dachsund is somewhere in his background, don't you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish&pup.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	4806   Click image for larger version

Name:	pup2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	4807  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pup,bella,fish.JPG