"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #21
Senior Cook

It's cancer - removed a mass, waiting for oncologists report and recommendations to come Sunday or Monday... an eternity. I am heartsick. Thank you All so much for reaching out to me - you all have wonderful souls - may your kindness be repeated back to you ten fold... it feels like love flows so readily around here...

Old 10-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #22
Master Chef

You and Charlie are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #23
Executive Chef

From one Aussie to another (Charlie!), I wish her a speedy recovery and that they were successful in removing all the bad bits. Hopefully she'll be chasing that ball again soon and for a long time to come. Thinking of you both.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pot clanger View Post
It's cancer - removed a mass, waiting for oncologists report and recommendations to come Sunday or Monday... an eternity. I am heartsick. Thank you All so much for reaching out to me - you all have wonderful souls - may your kindness be repeated back to you ten fold... it feels like love flows so readily around here...
((((hugs)))) Wish I could be there with you , I know how difficult it is , worrying and all that, I've been there too.. Keeping Charlie and you in my prayers,
LC
Old 10-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

aww, pc. i didn't know what to say yesterday, because i went through this with my boyhood dog, scooter. she was sneezing blood everyhere. but she was an old dog of 133 (19 human years).

your charlie is a young dog, and hopefully has a good chance of recovery.

my cats, turtle, hermit crabs, and parrots and i will all offer up our prayers to the one, for charlie's future well being.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
PC- prayers are sent for you and Charlie. Hope they got it all.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Will continue to think good thoughts and pray for you and Charlie

kadesma
Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #28
Senior Cook

It has a name...

Nasal Chondrosarcoma. I have twenty pieces of paper in front of me - all of them have big, unrealistic numbers on them, accompanied by words one never wants to hear when describing the illness of their beloved pet... invasive, extensive, destructive, malignant. Charlie is still "good" in that she wants to eat, play ball, get the paper, but she cannot breathe out of her nose, and that obviously will become more problematic as time passes... and the mass grows.

Surgery is tricky - it's so close to her eye, her brain, in her nose - very tricky and delicate areas to remove cancer. They can't "remove" all of it - they can only "debunk" it, which is a clever way of saying, "We'll go in there, but we're not sure what we'll find, or if we'll be able to really scrape all of it out..." She could lose her vision if not her entire eye. Then there's the radiation therapy - estimates (for surgery and radiation) range from 12 to 18K, not including what I have spent on diagnostics so far...

I may only buy 2 more years with her - no guarantees. That's a gamble. I've never liked gambling and I'm not about to start now...

I am awaiting holistic remedies from a practitioner who specializes in cancer - we'll see if that reduces any swelling/improves her life more... I have to try (every second!) to remove my emotions from this. Feelings are not fact, and I cannot let my ego make decisions for this other sentient being based on my selfish needs...

In the meantime, we struggle through the night - poor thing makes incredible noises - otherworldly, really, and we go through another day of phone calls, reports, meetings, hand-wringing and tears. There are good moments - it's all very surreal...

I should make my decision soon, as I'm not sure I want to remember my Girl as having suffered, but the flip side is that because she's doing "so well" now, I flirt with the hope of keeping her around a bit longer... I am truly my own worst enemy right now...

A thousand blessings and thank you's to All who have responded in kind - it has given my heart something to smile about in a dark and uncertain time.

Thank you for letting me tell my story about a little fuzzy ping-pong of a girl who stole my heart... I am a better person because of what she taught me, not the other way around...

Sara and Charlotte AKA Charlie
Old 10-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #29
Master Chef

Dear PC... I pray God give you wisdom to make the right decisions. I know how difficult it is , you want what is best for Charlie and you want to keep her comfortable and keep her around longer. I will continue to keep you both in my prayers...
LC
Old 10-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #30
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I will continue to pray for healing for your Girl Charlie. Please keep us updated with her progress.

Barbara