Gourmet and more magazines going under today....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a way I was sad to see Gourmet go under. But, in fact, I know why. About 3 years ago I stopped my many many years subscription and a friend picked up my 20+ years back copies. For one thing I think the internet is killing some magazines (I'd always been a magazine junkie). When Ruth Reichl took over Gourmet, I was on the road and wrote to her because I liked the new style at the time. But in more recent years it was more "lifestyles of the rich and famous". When I started subscribing, my friends and I used to use the recipes and have dinners together from the magazine. My husband and I would go on vacations and use Gourmet as a guide. But in the past years the food was too complicated for me to cook, and I'm pretty adventurous. The vacations that I used to be able to identify with seemed to become resort destinations. My husband would actually get angry when we'd get a copy, because the places they featured had to have been paid for by some resort, and the photography wasn't as good. But mainly, nowadays, if I want a recipe I can come here or many other web sites and find a recipe without cluttering my house with more stuff. To me it had become just another version of Conde Nast Traveler, expensive stuff I can't afford to even dream about. There was only one column I could identify with and hardly worth subscribing to the magazine to read a page out of the entire magazine. So, Im not surprised. Sad, but not surprised.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom