Grammar/Style Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kadesma said:
Mish,that phrase drives me around the bend too. Everytime I hear it, I flinch.
Sure nice to know I'm not alone;)
kadesma

For me, it's probably a 'full frontal face flinch.' :rolleyes:

The other, kads, is when I hear 'All's I' (want is, etc.) I have to speak, or bust holding it in.

P.S. Wanted to add:

Getting back to duh News. Actually, it probably should have been, ...in his father's house. But, I won't split hairs/heirs. :-p :LOL:

Last edited:
Oh, Lord, there are so many bad grammar examples now. For example (the cooking community is the largest offender) what is it with sticking unnecessary prepositions on the end of a sentence? Cook it up, reduce it down, plate it up, etc. Heck, Reduce it, Plate it, Cook it.

I wrote to the news anchors at the three major news outlets in Boston and asked. So far, two of the three don't know why they do it but agree it's not the best style.

Newspapers are quite bad about making errors also. Often I would like to circle all the errors in red (on one page) and send it back to them. Spelling, errors in grammar, puncuation are the usual. Don't they have spellcheck and an editor?

This is what drives me nuts about the news:
(it's 7:30am, watching the news as I get ready for work)

"Coming up tonight on our six o'clock news program: A new toy that could put your child at risk of choking."

WHAT THE HECK!? JUST TELL ME WHAT IT IS, THEY COULD BE PLAYING WITH IT NOW!!!!

Last edited:
I wondered if it wasn't a language checking software issue. Several years ago one of those programs changed "shrink wrap machine" to "psychiatric conversation device."

Back
Top Bottom