"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Grandma question

My grandson is almost 2 1/2 and no one is potty training him !! I think Iam having him for five days next week. I want to try- has anyone used the 'Pull Ups" ? I used just training pants for my two boys. Pro's and con's would be appreciated . Help ! Thanks All !

Old 02-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to mraa Send a message via Yahoo to mraa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
My grandson is almost 2 1/2 and no one is potty training him !! I think Iam having him for five days next week. I want to try- has anyone used the 'Pull Ups" ? I used just training pants for my two boys. Pro's and con's would be appreciated . Help ! Thanks All !
My daughter is amost 2 (in May), and I'm still potty training her.

My mom used cloth training pants on my sis and me, and I'm kinda combo-ing the 2.

Pros of Pull ups:
disposable
they look cool for the kids
they 'alert' them when they've peed in the pants (makes it cold)
easy to tote around town with
teaches kids to 'pull up' or 'pull down' their undies

Cons:
Pain when they've made a mess and you're out of the house (no sticky tabs)
expensive

That's all I can think of for now. Hope it gives you some ideas. GOOD LUCK. FYI ~ my mom helped me start potty-training my youngun'.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

When my teen was in the potty training stages, I used pull-ups and they were great! I told him that they were only for big boys, and babies couldn't use them. Babies had to wear those yucky diapers. I also told him that big boys don't like to get their pull ups wet. I also bribed him by getting a small jar of jelly bellies. Potty time meant 2 jelly bellies.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

Oh my...I remember thinking that when I got my kids potty trained, all my troubles would be over. Duh....

Neither of my girls like messy pants, so that part of the training was pretty easy. I worked really hard on the other with the oldest, and she wet the bed off and on until she was 8 years old. I pretty much let the youngest do it on her own, and she had herself trained by 3, and never had another accident.

Got my grandson at age 3, after his mother died, and while he did all right in the daytime, he had trouble at night. No wonder...poor little pup went through some awful trauma before we got him.

Personally, I think the pull-ups are GREAT! The little ones feel like they're wearing grown-up pants, but there's no leakage if they have an accident.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Master Chef

Wink

Lol, Thanks you two -my boys got a couple of M & M's.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to babyhuggies
i've been using pull ups for my son(since they weren't around for my other 3) and they work great.
the sides DUE pull apart some brands~like the ones in my name refasten~almost like a velcro.
I wouldn't call them diapers-make them special "underwear"

Good Luck!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
Master Chef

Wink

Thanks Constance, & BabyHuggie they are so darn cute - Mine is a little hard headed, Grandma wins sometimes ! Maybe I will try the Pull-ups, Thanks !
Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks Constance, & BabyHuggie they are so darn cute - Mine is a little hard headed, Grandma wins sometimes ! Maybe I will try the Pull-ups, Thanks !
Barb,I didn't even try potty training mine til they woke up dry in the mornings..That gives you an idea of bladder size and lenght of time between changes..I now have Ethan and Carson in pull ups we call them big boy pants..The type I have are the ind you unfasten and can re-fasten. But even the ones that don't unfasten can be opend the same way they just won't re-close... I also have a potty chair that sits on the floor and Ethan really likes it the big potty gives him the creeps..Now Carson hates both so I just let him alone and there are times he will and times he won't I figure if I push I'm going to really have a time of it..Sides how I get stuck doing this I already did four!!! Good LUCK Gramma

kadesma
Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
My experience is different because I trained my daughter on pull ups when she was about 1 1/2 years old. They say girls are easier, but I have no idea. What I did was get a little potty chair, but she wanted nothing to do with that, she wanted the big person toilet Once the pull ups were on her, she didnt like them, and just told me everytime it was her time to go. I think I made a step for her too because the toilet was too tall for her, so I would help her up on that to the toilet. Best thing to do is to keep asking every three hours if your grandson needs to use the potty.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
Master Chef

Wink

Lol Kadesma, Iam going to just try, knowing it is all up to him !! Thanks ! And Amber, my first son was so easy, but each one are so differant- this will be a trip --again !! lol Going to cut back on the liquids too - he loves his sippy-cup !