Grandma question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
My grandson is almost 2 1/2 and no one is potty training him !! I think Iam having him for five days next week. I want to try- has anyone used the 'Pull Ups" ? I used just training pants for my two boys. Pro's and con's would be appreciated . Help ! :ROFLMAO: Thanks All !

Barb L. said:
My grandson is almost 2 1/2 and no one is potty training him !! I think Iam having him for five days next week. I want to try- has anyone used the 'Pull Ups" ? I used just training pants for my two boys. Pro's and con's would be appreciated . Help ! :ROFLMAO: Thanks All !

My daughter is amost 2 (in May), and I'm still potty training her.

My mom used cloth training pants on my sis and me, and I'm kinda combo-ing the 2.

Pros of Pull ups:
disposable
they look cool for the kids
they 'alert' them when they've peed in the pants (makes it cold)
easy to tote around town with
teaches kids to 'pull up' or 'pull down' their undies

Cons:
Pain when they've made a mess and you're out of the house (no sticky tabs)
expensive

That's all I can think of for now. Hope it gives you some ideas. GOOD LUCK. FYI ~ my mom helped me start potty-training my youngun'.

When my teen was in the potty training stages, I used pull-ups and they were great! I told him that they were only for big boys, and babies couldn't use them. Babies had to wear those yucky diapers. I also told him that big boys don't like to get their pull ups wet. I also bribed him by getting a small jar of jelly bellies. Potty time meant 2 jelly bellies.

Oh my...I remember thinking that when I got my kids potty trained, all my troubles would be over. Duh....:wacko:

Neither of my girls like messy pants, so that part of the training was pretty easy. I worked really hard on the other with the oldest, and she wet the bed off and on until she was 8 years old. I pretty much let the youngest do it on her own, and she had herself trained by 3, and never had another accident.

Got my grandson at age 3, after his mother died, and while he did all right in the daytime, he had trouble at night. No wonder...poor little pup went through some awful trauma before we got him.

Personally, I think the pull-ups are GREAT! The little ones feel like they're wearing grown-up pants, but there's no leakage if they have an accident.

i've been using pull ups for my son(since they weren't around for my other 3) and they work great.
the sides DUE pull apart some brands~like the ones in my name refasten~almost like a velcro.
I wouldn't call them diapers-make them special "underwear"

Good Luck!!!

Thanks Constance, & BabyHuggie they are so darn cute - Mine is a little hard headed, Grandma wins sometimes ! Maybe I will try the Pull-ups, Thanks !

Last edited:
Barb L. said:
Thanks Constance, & BabyHuggie they are so darn cute - Mine is a little hard headed, Grandma wins sometimes ! Maybe I will try the Pull-ups, Thanks !
Barb,I didn't even try potty training mine til they woke up dry in the mornings..That gives you an idea of bladder size and lenght of time between changes..I now have Ethan and Carson in pull ups we call them big boy pants..The type I have are the ind you unfasten and can re-fasten. But even the ones that don't unfasten can be opend the same way they just won't re-close... I also have a potty chair that sits on the floor and Ethan really likes it the big potty gives him the creeps..Now Carson hates both so I just let him alone and there are times he will and times he won't I figure if I push I'm going to really have a time of it..Sides how I get stuck doing this I already did four!!! Good LUCK Gramma:LOL:

kadesma

Barb L. said:

My experience is different because I trained my daughter on pull ups when she was about 1 1/2 years old. They say girls are easier, but I have no idea. What I did was get a little potty chair, but she wanted nothing to do with that, she wanted the big person toilet :LOL: Once the pull ups were on her, she didnt like them, and just told me everytime it was her time to go. I think I made a step for her too because the toilet was too tall for her, so I would help her up on that to the toilet. Best thing to do is to keep asking every three hours if your grandson needs to use the potty.

Lol Kadesma, Iam going to just try, knowing it is all up to him !! Thanks ! And Amber, my first son was so easy, but each one are so differant- this will be a trip --again !! lol Going to cut back on the liquids too - he loves his sippy-cup !

Last edited:
Potty time meant 2 jelly bellies.

jkath...that put a smile on my face. Dove is paper trained (sometimes:ermm: ) but when she does go either outside or in her portable Kennel on the patio she gets two treets..they are moist and meaty dog food..Paul always broke them in half so she got 4.:)

I started potty training John way too early. He was only 16 months old. We left San Diego and it was 80*. When we arrived at Camp Lejeune N.C. it was 13* above 0. No dryer and things froze on the clothes line...so he learned not to like wet training pants....to make a long story short...summer came and we would go to White Lake..The little monkey knew wet pants wasn't a good thing so out of the water he comes bathing suit in hand and the chase was on he was laughing all the way...Paul was pretty emberrased..

Barb, my son is 2-1/2 and is very uninterested in potty training. My pediatrician said boys are later and usually training doesn't happen until they are closer to three. This is hard for me because my daughter was trained before age 2.

I think bladder control is key here, if they don't know how to control it - it is not going to work, and that might put a damper on the whole situation. We have sat on the potty and read books and he has pee-peed once, but I think it was not by his control (he was there an hour!). The next attempt he was completely disinterested, kept getting up, walking around, etc.

With my daughter, it took one day, she walked around with nothing on and pee-peed down her leg - she did not like that at all. From that point forward, she was potty trained. I may try that with my son in the spring, but I have heard that some kids just don't care. We'll see.

I have heard good and bad about pull-ups but someone told me that their kid treated it just like a diaper so it did not help. I haven't tried them so I don't know.

I think rewards (jelly beans, m&ms) are good IF the child has the control, if not, that could make them feel bad and have the reverse effects.

Try the potty seat and see what happens. I hope it works out for you. If it does, I will be tremendously envious and may have to fly out out to my house!

I too used pull-ups for my youngest but for the older ones I used training pants. The only draw back for them for me was the cost but thankfully I was diligant with Dill and took him to the bathroom quite often so not too many occurances with accidents.

A few other tips:

-Kids love praise so whenever he tinkled or did the other in the toliet I made such a big deal out of it.... singing, dancing, hugs and kisses....that he loved going.

-I didn't let him eat or drink 2 hours prior to going to bed and still don't and he's only wet the bed twice and I suspect thats because DH didn't follow my rules when I was at work one evening ;)

I think cloth training pants during the day. The pull ups are too much like a diaper. I only used them at night when kids were less reliable about getting up in time. They were night time pants so they didn't feel they were going back into a diaper. My oldest was trained around 2 and the younger one was a little younger since he had big brother to keep up with! I think it's great that you want to get him started. I think parents wait too long these days to start.

Thanks to all who replied, I just wish it was a little warmer to keep his long pants off during the day. He does have a mind of his own -very independent !! Sometimes I just have to say Grandma Do !! Iam sorta excited to see how this is going to go !:ROFLMAO:

jabbur said:
I think cloth training pants during the day. The pull ups are too much like a diaper. I only used them at night when kids were less reliable about getting up in time. They were night time pants so they didn't feel they were going back into a diaper. My oldest was trained around 2 and the younger one was a little younger since he had big brother to keep up with! I think it's great that you want to get him started. I think parents wait too long these days to start.
Like your idea, but each child is so different, my youngest niece, when she was three was the hardest to train, remembering my SIL telling me how they even tried making her wash out the poopy cloth diapers in the toilet herself --- it was so funny hearing how she'd stand there and cry dipping the diaper up and down. She was the youngest of four ! She is now a principle of a High School in Dayton, Ohio !! She made it !! lol Sorry for talking so much !!

Hey Barb, are you up for yet another opinion? Ignore me if not.

I'm one who also used pull ups, but only at night. My youngest had a TEENY bladder, and slept like the dead so they were necessary at night.

I used regular underpants right off the top. We got some regular ones, and some ultra cute ones. At first I would take the kids to the potty once an hour and reward them when they went. It only took a couple of days for that habit to be ingrained and it was less than a week for potty training. (Night time training was another story.) I also trained a friends son when he was with me for a week while she was in the hospital with her younger kids. He liked having a target to "aim" for in the toilet and a chocolate egg afterward. (LOL!!)

You've had lots of good advice, and have been through it before so I'm sure you will have this little guy trained ASAP. Have fun!

When my youngest boy was 2 1/2 (almost to the day), we went to pick up his brother at pre-school, on a Friday. The teacher told Eric that if he was potty trained he could join in.

Eric took it very seriously and perfected his training over the weekend. He went to school on Monday and never wet his pants again. Now #2 was a different story. It seemed to take forever.

Back
Top Bottom