"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Head Chef

Grease burn

After going to church and then working like a dog all afternoon on the new house I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table and I splattered my forearm with really hot oil. This puppy hurts. I cooled it immediately with cold water. Sprayed burn stuff on it. Took a Tylenol 3 and have been icing it constantly for 3 hours now. It still hurts like a son-of -a-sea -faring- sea- cook. What else can I do to relieve the pain? If it doesn't calm down soon I am going to have to take a stronger pain killer and I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it. And because someone will probably suggest it, we don't have any aloe in the house. It's hard to type left handed.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
After going to church and then working like a dog all afternoon on the new house I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table and I splattered my forearm with really hot oil. This puppy hurts. I cooled it immediately with cold water. Sprayed burn stuff on it. Took a Tylenol 3 and have been icing it constantly for 3 hours now. It still hurts like a son-of -a-sea -faring- sea- cook. What else can I do to relieve the pain? If it doesn't calm down soon I am going to have to take a stronger pain killer and I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it. And because someone will probably suggest it, we don't have any aloe in the house. It's hard to type left handed.

Is it blistered?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Head Chef

not yet but like i said, i have had it on ice constantly.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
not yet but like i said, i have had it on ice constantly.
Stop icing, run it under cool water from the tap, you are running the risk of frostbite keeping it too cold. Cold cloths on it, not ice.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Head Chef

Thank you. And the pain?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Thank you. And the pain?
Stick with the Ty 3 or what you have. the cool water should draw the heat out. I'm thinking the ice cold is making it feel worse. Wrap with gauze and keep dry, only use cool water to rinse. If any blisters form, do not break them. About the third day start using antibiotic ointment on it.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Head Chef

thank you again. It's good to have the advice of a pro. I was going to put ointment on it tonight but I will wait. My script says I can take 2 tylenol 3's and I may do that and not take anything stronger. I hate having to take meds. I have never taken more than one of them at a time before and even that was when I was in pretty serious pain. I'm usually really good with pain, but burns are just worse than other kinds of pain,especially this particular burn.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
thank you again. It's good to have the advice of a pro. I was going to put ointment on it tonight but I will wait. My script says I can take 2 tylenol 3's and I may do that and not take anything stronger. I hate having to take meds. I have never taken more than one of them at a time before and even that was when I was in pretty serious pain. I'm usually really good with pain, but burns are just worse than other kinds of pain,especially this particular burn.
Go ahead and take the extra, it will help you relax and heal. No toughing it out! Ogre's orders!!! Ointment will just hold the heat in...
Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

fee, i thought you should never wrap a burn, even with sterile gauze.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
fee, i thought you should never wrap a burn, even with sterile gauze.
Don't wrap a fresh burn, after a few hours you want to protect it, especially if it blisters up. If the blister is going to burst, you want some thing clean around it.