Great actor found dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
"Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead of an apparent drug overdose in his Manhattan apartment, law enforcement sources said Sunday."

It's sad to see so many of our talented entertainers use drugs. I loved PSH and have watched so many of his movies.

May he rest in peace. I loved his portrayal of Capote and all his movies. He will be missed.

Cave, I think it is the pressure of the business. In the cooking world there are just as many overdoses (you just don't hear them as much).

Hoffman checked himself into an East Coast rehab facility for heroin in May 2013, TMZ reports.
Hoffman had long-ago battled drug problems, but began struggling again in 2012 after 23 years of sobriety, the report said.

Damn that monkey on his back! What a tragedy.

May he rest in peace. I loved his portrayal of Capote and all his movies. He will be missed.

Cave, I think it is the pressure of the business. In the cooking world there are just as many overdoses (you just don't hear them as much).

I was meaning celebrity chefs here. We had a young up and coming Canadian by the name of Anthony Sedulak who passed away a year or so ago from an overdose.

But actors really seem to have problems. Again I think it is all that pressure. If you have a bad movie you are pressured to do better the next time and if you have a good one, there is pressure to do an even better one next time. Sad, really.

I'm not sure if it's the pressure as much as it is the ease of access and the means to just disappear and party until you need more money. Just my opinion.
I did notice him in a recent movie where I was surprised because I considered it a bit part for him. I can't seem to remember it now... that will pester me.

He was a good actor and one of our, or at least my, generation. I think we can relate to someone more that we some come up in the field and grew up with so to speak.

I think some celebrities think they are invincible.... thinking that only the stupid get tangle up in addiction because they know they are wa-ay too smart than all the non-gods. According to reports he was found with a the needle still in his arm and the stash near by. In the end, it's a sad life.

Just saw this on the BBC news.

In the report, they ended by saying "Many people knew his face if not his name."

Actors seem to be a fragile breed. So who is to say that, despite getting an Oscar, he never felt he had really "made it". Addiction does seem to flourish in the entertainment world. (Whether to adulation or drugs or whatever else.)

It's incredibly sad for his wife and children.

I feel very sorry for most people who become addicts. It's a horrible life to have to endure.

Drug use starts as a coping mechanism and then addiction causes changes to the brain that make it difficult or impossible to resist. It's not a weakness of character.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom