"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #91
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I didn't say "portable", I said "potable".

Old 08-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #92
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I didn't say "portable", I said "potable".
Public water in this country is perfectly safe to drink. In other countries I use bottled water for safety reasons.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #93
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

And currently there are areas in this country who are having problems with their water supply today d/t flooding, mudslides, etc. Emergency supplies of water are easier to get to them if they are bottled.

THAT is why I buy bottled water, as emergency supplies. Many others do the same.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #94
Master Chef

Buying bottled water for emergency supply is certainly not what I'm talking about.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #95
Master Chef

I think people should buy what they need and understand the consequence of the decisions they are making.

I think the goal should be to reduce our impact/carbon footprint and still enjoy a decent life.

The solution will be different for each of us.

I have friends and family that don't use disposable shopping bags, disposable diapers, bottled water etc... They buy organic, wear eco-friendly clothes and shoes, belong to all sorts of environmental groups, yet they drive gigantic SUV's, regularly eat food shipped half way around the world, live in McMansions etc... I chuckle when they point out my foibles and treat me like an eco-terrorist. I'm willing to bet my impact on the planet is smaller than theirs.

Just do what you need to do, be mindful of the overall impact, keep seeking the minimum and remember all roads eventually lead to the cemetery

I'm done ranting and raving for now!
Old 08-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #96
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
And while we're at complaining about plastics....how about why on earth they are still selling cases upon cases of individual water filled bottles?? Stupid, just pain stupid.
Question asked, a possible answer given.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #97
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Because it's the best way to store potable water for many people.
And the issue of "potable" vs. "portable" could have been easy avoided with another word used for "potable".

Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #98
Master Chef

I love my Trader Joe's insulated bags and use them most of the time, since I finally got in the habit of keeping them in the trunk of the car. I have about 5 or 6 of them, and one is a box shaped insulated cooler-type bag. It doubles as a picnic food carrier.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #99
Master Chef

I have MANY of the grocery bags (mostly cloth and most are washable). I have insulated and non insulated (open top bags).

I have bags from Target, Trader Joe's, Fairway, Stop and Shop and Whole Foods.

I love the fact that they are reusable, strong, don't fall over and spill food stuffs all over the car and they DON'T rip open!

Hub never uses them even though they are always in the back of the car. SO I always have plastic bags around to line my small waste baskets, put smelly wet garbage in and tie shut before tossing in the kitchen trash pail also use the brown paper bags to drain fried foods on rather than using paper towels.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

I have waste baskets designed to be the size of plastic grocery bags. They have two handles on them for the handles on the bags. Saves me from buying liners. Every few months I have more bags than I will ever use. So I fold them up and bring them to the church for the food bank. An item they are always short of. So the bags are always getting more than one use. I have noticed that when I go to the church on Saturday, (the day of the food bank) some of the folks waiting have their own cloth bags.

Being an Elderly Resident building, we are always the target for all the politicians or health organizations that are selling their wares. They all give us a cloth tote that if you are lucky, they will hold three rolls of toilet paper and maybe a head of lettuce. Way to small to be of any consequential benefit to the environment.