Green grocery bags - do you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought a bag from angle ministrys for 20.00+ and it had a hole in with in two weeks
I now have severl heavy duty canvas bags that work just fine. And the green ones at our local store cost 1.50 and are real good.

i get plastic & recycle them myself. great fer when my kitties were with me, as something to scoop litter into.

& i'm gonna try sewing my own bags.

A friend of ours has a Green Store nearby that carries bags for the kitchen, small garbage pails, and dog clean-up that bio-degrade and are friendly to the environment. Right now it is just too expensive for me to do it, but as it gets more mainstream hopefully the price will come down and I can get rid of the plastic once and for all. For now recycling as much as possible and being smart about the ones I use (never thrown until completely stuffed for example) is the best I can do.

I have about 10 or so. One is specifically for cold items and the rest are in various sizes. I keep them in the trunk of my car all the time, so I always have them handy.

I use them for all shopping, too, not just the grocery store.

I have several and leave them in my car but I should get better about using them for all shopping not just groceries.

I should have mentioned yesterday the reason for getting paper bags to store newspapers in. Our schools have recycling bins in their parking lots. It's a way to put a little extra cash in their pockets. I'll store about six bags, put them in the trunk of my car, then give them to the schools.

I have several and leave them in my car but I should get better about using them for all shopping not just groceries.

You're right about that. It dawned on me yesterday that places like Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, K-mart and many other stores use plastic bags, not just food stores. I keep a few on hand for lining wastebaskets but I don't need 4000 of them. :rolleyes:

I sent a stepson to a boarding school, and the laundry was processed in mesh bags. These are made to withstand the rigors of industrial laundry, and last forever. These could probably be found somewhere. I still use them 10 years later. One of my pet peeves in stores is the clerk who will put everything in plastic bags and then put the plastic in your bag. They just don't get it. Most recycling costs more than it saves, so, for me, the best answer is to avoid bags when possible (Bottled water, plastic bags, etc) Costco has the right idea. No bags at all. They recycle all their case lot boxes or use your bag, or give you your order loose, your choice.

I sent a stepson to a boarding school, and the laundry was processed in mesh bags. These are made to withstand the rigors of industrial laundry, and last forever. These could probably be found somewhere. I still use them 10 years later. One of my pet peeves in stores is the clerk who will put everything in plastic bags and then put the plastic in your bag. They just don't get it. Most recycling costs more than it saves, so, for me, the best answer is to avoid bags when possible (Bottled water, plastic bags, etc) Costco has the right idea. No bags at all. They recycle all their case lot boxes or use your bag, or give you your order loose, your choice.

Costco sells most things in case lots so it's already packed in a cardboard box and/or sealed with clear wrap. No way on this green earth do I want my groceries packed into a cart loose without bags. As for putting a plastic bag inside a canvas bag, the only time our clerks to that is if it's a meat item , chicken especially, that could leak onto the canvas. You would never get the smell out of the bag. That's just good sense.

Costco sells most things in case lots so it's already packed in a cardboard box and/or sealed with clear wrap. No way on this green earth do I want my groceries packed into a cart loose without bags. As for putting a plastic bag inside a canvas bag, the only time our clerks to that is if it's a meat item , chicken especially, that could leak onto the canvas. You would never get the smell out of the bag. That's just good sense.
Actually, at the Costco where I shop, they don't. They sell large quantities 4# butter,2 large bottles ketchup or mustard. 2# Red Star yeast., wine is sold by the bottle, all were wholesaled in a larger packaged quantity. Meat is sold prepackaged and plastic bags are availalble and used in the meat department The boxes get hauled to the front and used. No bags. I get them to pack my food products in a box. I don't care whether those two bottles of ketchup, the wine bottle, or hard goods are packed in a box or not. Around here, many of the store clerks are teenagers, and they will package your purchases in a plastic bag then put it in paper, or your bag.

I love them too. About time right? I have one with cats, one with Island allure, one Whole Foods, 2 Trader Joe's, one NASA, one Cambria Cookie Corner, one Safeway, one plain with a zipper that is lime green and love that one, one Tampa Bay Bucs. So, I'm done collecting. Used 4 of them yesterday on my Wal Mart shopping and the checker and I were talking about how many are starting to bring them in now.

Like Rachel Ray uses a garbage bowl for her stuff, I put a plastic grocery bag on both sides of a pull out drawer under the counter and slide stuff in them that is trash or waste. Then I take 'em off of there, tie a bow with the handles and chuck 'em in the trash. Also use them for doggie remnants etc.

I love them too. About time right? I have one with cats, one with Island allure, one Whole Foods, 2 Trader Joe's, one NASA, one Cambria Cookie Corner, one Safeway, one plain with a zipper that is lime green and love that one, one Tampa Bay Bucs. So, I'm done collecting. Used 4 of them yesterday on my Wal Mart shopping and the checker and I were talking about how many are starting to bring them in now.

Like Rachel Ray uses a garbage bowl for her stuff, I put a plastic grocery bag on both sides of a pull out drawer under the counter and slide stuff in them that is trash or waste. Then I take 'em off of there, tie a bow with the handles and chuck 'em in the trash. Also use them for doggie remnants etc.

I love the idea of collecting different designs. Never thought about that. (Cauli-for-neeah?) Funny.

Dave Hutchins: TWENTY DOLLARS FOR A BAG??? What is angle ministrys? That's waaaay too expensive.

DramaQueen, it's just that when I am somewhere and need one, gosh they're only a buck or two right, I buy one. So I've ended up with several, they live in my trunk of my car and when needed, they they are. Plus, you know, truth be told, I'm a Leo, one thing of anything is enough, I love variety.

I have about a dozen bags from Loblaws. I love them compared to other store bags because you can put SO much in them without it feeling heavy because of the way they made it.

I've been carrying canvas bags to the grocery store for ages. Still somehow manage to acquire more plastic bags than Carter has peanuts....

I'm glad Whole Foods is giving 20 cents credit for each bag you bring in with you. It's a real incentive to recycle.

I've been carrying canvas bags to the grocery store for ages. Still somehow manage to acquire more plastic bags than Carter has peanuts....

I'm glad Whole Foods is giving 20 cents credit for each bag you bring in with you. It's a real incentive to recycle.

Ummmm, are you sure about the 20 cents from Whole Foods? According to the cashiers that ring up my groceries and according to their website, they only give back 5 cents.

I have around a dozen bags that I scrounged up from my closet. They are different canvas bags given to me for volunteering, helping out, or purchased cheap. I kind of collect canvas bags and they were just sitting in the closet so I pulled them out and started to use them. So I not only help the enviroment, but I now have a bit more space in my closet! I have one heavy vinyl bag from the hospital that was used to put personal belongings in during outpatient surgery that I use for meat or other items that might leak. It wipes up easily. I like the idea of making your own with the rip stop nylon. May have to check that out! I have a problem paying the store for a bag. I keep mine in the trunk. My dog sheds a lot so they sometimes get dog hair on them just from sitting on the floor while putting groceries away. I use a sticky lint roller to get the dog hair off.

I have about a dozen string bags. The baggers are always amazed at how much they hold. I have no idea where to buy them new, but they go for a quarter apiece in thrift stores. After I put my groceries away, I hang 'em on the doorknob so I remember to take 'em out to the car.

I've tried several types of bags and the ones I like best (and use most often) are the ultra compact canvas ones from Reusablebags.com (link). These were more expensive than some other ones I have but to me, they are worth the extra money. They fold up small and I can keep a bunch in my car and in DH's. I just pop them in my purse and pull them out when I check out. Also, they wash up fine in the gentle cycle and air dried.

A friend of mine really likes the large tote ones (link) because he likes the way the sides stay up when he's filling the tote. And it holds a lot of groceries, too! There's even a version that's made from 50% post-consumer recycled content (link).

I have to admit that I've forgotten to take my own bags with me on occassion depending on the store so I just end up recycling the plastic or paper.

Back
Top Bottom