"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #61
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I use the plastic grocery bags for:

Garbage bags in the bathrooms or and small garbage can
To pound out chicken breasts for scallopini
Lunch bags
Poo bags for the dog
Wrap and tie a paint roller tray for easy cleanup. The handles wrap right around the little legs.
To give away excess tomatoes (lol)

I keep them in a drawer in my kitchen for easy access.
That's exactly what I use mine for! (Except the dog thing, I don't have a dog).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
There's no way of knowing what you have to price the item in order to make a profit. Generally the rule is twice the cost of the items needed to make one bag, plus your time. Be realistic in your pricing and if the bag is a good quality and the design of the fabric is appealing I would pay up to $5.00. But that's me. Try asking different prices for bags that are different in the original cost. If they're well made they will last a very long time. You might want to sell them on a wholesale basis to specialty shops as well. I once owned a cat themed shop and we could have blown cat designed bags out the door. Same with my year round Christmas shop. I would love using bags with a Chirstmas pattern. Use your imagination and I hope you follow through.
I'm guessing the durable fabrics would cost around $4 or $5 a yard, and it will probably take close to a yard to make the bags, so it may not work out so well. I like the specialty shop idea though. People tend to be more willing to spend at those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I've been using heavy-duty woven nylon-coated bags for almost 25 years. Bought them back in Maryland from our Giant Food grocery chain. Liked them so much, I made three more out of rip-stop nylon. All my bags are washable and none of them show any signs of wear. The rip-stop nylon ones fold up/ball up so small they can almost fit in my pocket.

As for the plastic ones the stores use, I save a few for the purposes already mentioned. The rest, plus any produce bags, bakery bags, frozen vegetable bags, etc. all go into the recycling bin.
Where did you find the rip-stop nylon? That sounds handy? I know I will have a hard time wanting to haul re-usable bags into the store with a car seat and a toddler. The thinner (but stronger) the better so I can just stuff them in a pocket or diaper bag.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #62
Sous Chef

I noticed that at least here, the new reusable shopping bags now fold up nice and tight and have a snap on them. I didn't want to buy new ones so I used a little scrap fabric and velcro and made it so mine can fold up too--and I added a bit of "me" to them as well. This was much cheaper and easier than trying to make my own from scratch as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shopping bags bright small.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	7149   Click image for larger version

Name:	shopping bags red small.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	7150  

Click image for larger version

Name:	folded shopping bags small.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	7151  

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #63
Master Chef

I use green grocery bags all the time. They are also handy for other things. I carry stuff to work in them. It does not matter to me if I take a Trader Joe's bag into Winco, Whole Foods, etc. They should just be happy that I am using them.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #64
Executive Chef

I've got 1 that is black, i got it free in the mail a couple of months ago but otherwise i've never actually seen them being sold anywhere.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:53 AM   #65
Master Chef

i own a few, except i re-purpose plastic when i clean litter, & often buy too many groceries at once to fit into those. i think i own 4, at best. not enough, as i shop infrequently. maybe weekly.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #66
Master Chef

Jeff, I don't know if you realize how old this thread is but I'll add to your post.

I soooo agree with using them, and I have them. I either fail to put them back into the car after I unload them, or if I put them back in the trunk I forget to take them into the store until I'm already inside. I need some kind of reminder system I guess.
When I see others using them I feel slightly guilty that I'm not because we sure don't need more plastic bags flying around.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #67
Master Chef

I don't use them.

I like the plastic bags from the grocery store.

I use the plastic bags from the grocery for many purposes before they end up as my garbage bags.

I keep my eye peeled for a reusable grocery tote that I like the looks of, at a price I'm willing to pay. I don't like the idea of becoming a walking billboard for a large retail store so I will probably end up with a canvas "beach" bag or net bag when plastic bags finally disappear.

I'm still not sure how using a grocery tote and purchasing trash bags will help me or the environment!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #68
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Can I throw my penny in too?

When DH and I travel, I like to collect unique souvenirs.

Last year I started my collection of 'green bags' from different locations, National Parks, Landmarks, Monuments, etc.

I keep mine in the wheelwell of the CR-V along with a small softsided cooler, all are folded up and at the ready for any duty. Because of our location, most markets offer complimentary bags of ice with your frozen/cold items.

It's think neat-o to have these bags from the different Park;
the kids that work in the markets `round these parts always ask questions about each one.
My favorite bag has to from Wall Drug in Wall South Dakota.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I have purchased 6 of those fabric bags for groceries because I'm tired of the constant build up of plastic bags, not to mention what this is doing to our landfills. Now, I'm wondering, how many of you have these bags too? They are the best idea to come along in a long time and they hold a lot of groceries. No more plastic for me. How about you?
For years I was a source of amusement when I went shopping with a wicker basket but now I'm suddenly very trendy! I have long been avoiding plastic carriers. I have those canvas shopping bags with a plastic lining that Tesco et al sell very cheaply. In fact I have quite a few around the house and in the car because I find them so useful about the house and in the car for knitting, books, laundry, stable stuff, cleaning materials, filling paperwork, sorting craft stuff, ....and, of course, for shopping.

On the rare occasions that I do get lumbered with plastic carriers I save them until I have a bag full and take them to the charity shop who are always desperate for bags and packaging.

The Northern Ireland and the Welsh governments have implemented a 5 pence tax on plastic carriers, Scotland will be doing so in October this year and England in October next year. And about time too.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i own a few, except i re-purpose plastic when i clean litter, & often buy too many groceries at once to fit into those. i think i own 4, at best. not enough, as i shop infrequently. maybe weekly.
I keep a couple of collapsible plastic crates in the boot of the car for shopping expeditions as well as a supply of "bags for life" as they are called here.