"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I don't use them.

I like the plastic bags from the grocery store.

I use the plastic bags from the grocery for many purposes before they end up as my garbage bags.

I keep my eye peeled for a reusable grocery tote that I like the looks of, at a price I'm willing to pay. I don't like the idea of becoming a walking billboard for a large retail store so I will probably end up with a canvas "beach" bag or net bag when plastic bags finally disappear.

I'm still not sure how using a grocery tote and purchasing trash bags will help me or the environment!
I responded to this several years ago, but here it is again DH goes to several conferences a year and gets nice canvas bags at each one, so I use those for shopping. DH doesn't, so we get plastic bags for cleaning litter when he does the shopping.

Aunt Bea, plastic grocery bags often end up in the oceans where marine life mistake them for food, eat them, then die from the bags blocking their digestive systems. More info here: http://water.epa.gov/type/oceb/marin...md_impacts.cfm

Old 08-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I responded to this several years ago, but here it is again DH goes to several conferences a year and gets nice canvas bags at each one, so I use those for shopping.

Aunt Bea, plastic grocery bags often end up in the oceans where marine life mistake them for food, eat them, then die from the bags blocking their digestive systems. More info here: Marine Debris Impacts | Marine Debris | US EPA
IMO the grocery sacks are not the problem, people are the problem.

I'm fairly confident that none of my plastic grocery bags have ever ended up in the ocean.

The day will come when I have to switch to a reusable shopping tote and that is fine. I will still need to purchase small plastic trash bags so I do not see much of an improvement, just more expense for me and less expense for the grocers of the world. Maybe we need to do away with the trash bags as well as the shopping bags. That would be fine with me, I'm too cheap to generate much actual garbage.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
IMO the grocery sacks are not the problem, people are the problem.

I'm fairly confident that none of my plastic grocery bags have ever ended up in the ocean.

The day will come when I have to switch to a reusable shopping tote and that is fine. I will still need to purchase small plastic trash bags so I do not see much of an improvement, just more expense for me and less expense for the grocers of the world. Maybe we need to do away with the trash bags as well as the shopping bags. That would be fine with me, I'm too cheap to generate much actual garbage.
And since you can't change human nature, people will continue to misuse the bags and they will continue to damage the environment. But the bags themselves are a problem because they are petroleum-based and they don't disintegrate, but they do break down and release endocrine disruptors into the environment, which can cause mutations in animals, including people.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
And since you can't change human nature, people will continue to misuse the bags and they will continue to damage the environment. But the bags themselves are a problem because they are petroleum-based and they don't disintegrate, but they do break down and release endocrine disruptors into the environment, which can cause mutations in animals, including people.
Like I said "Maybe we need to do away with the trash bags as well as the shopping bags. That would be fine with me, I'm too cheap to generate much actual garbage. "

Now if we could only convince your DH.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #75
Executive Chef

Quote:
I don't use them.

I like the plastic bags from the grocery store.

I use the plastic bags from the grocery for many purposes before they end up as my garbage bags.

I keep my eye peeled for a reusable grocery tote that I like the looks of, at a price I'm willing to pay. I don't like the idea of becoming a walking billboard for a large retail store so I will probably end up with a canvas "beach" bag or net bag when plastic bags finally disappear.

I'm still not sure how using a grocery tote and purchasing trash bags will help me or the environment!
Not as funny as you think. Apart from lasting for 1000 years in landfill or, worse, as litter in the streets, plastic carrier bags are a danger to animals, birds and fish, they can cause serious accidents when they blow around and scare horses and other animals and, apart from the longevity and the danger connected with them, they look a mess when they are cluttering up the streets and countryside.

-A friend's son had a bad accident last year when a plastic bag blew on to his windscreen, obscuring his vision while he was travelling at speed on the motorway.
-I went to get Horse in from the field one night and couldn't understand why he wouldn't come when I called him as usual. He just stood there looking helpless. When I got to him he had one foot stuck in the handles of a Tesco's plastic carrier bag and adjacent foot in the bag. Fortunately, he's a sensible old boy and stood still until he was rescued but a less steady horse might have panicked and hurt itself.
-My milkman lost one of his cows when she managed to eat a plastic carrier bag

I don't use trash bags. I use the (compulsory) biodegradable bags which the council provide for the food waste bin and anything that's messy and needs to go in the unrecylable bin I wrap in newspaper. I collect the cold water when running the shower to get the warm water through and use it to wash the recycling bins when they are emptied (and for watering my house plants). So no need for wasteful bin liners.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Like I said "Maybe we need to do away with the trash bags as well as the shopping bags. That would be fine with me, I'm too cheap to generate much actual garbage. "

Now if we could only convince your DH.
I'm working on him
Old 08-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #77
Executive Chef

I have two cars, and in the trunk of each car I keep a short styrofoam cooler from Omaha Steaks. If I have frozen foods and I need to make another stop on the way home, the frozen stuff goes into the cooler.
Inside each cooler I store 5 cloth grocery bags that I have purchased form the various stores that I frequent, one insulated bag in each for refrigerated/frozen foods, and one compartmentalized burlap bag designed by Cost Plus World Market to carry 4 wine bottles. I take my own bags into every store in which I shop, except Target. Target still has the thick plastic bags that are perfect receptacles when I am cleaning my cats' litter boxes!

Now if I could only get the baggers to put the cold stuff in the insulated bags and the canned stuff and baked goods in the cloth bags I would be all set. It has gotten to the point where I will place the cold and frozen stuff into the insulated bag as I shop, hoping the baggers will get the idea. I have suggested to the management of my regular groshree store that they stop giving urine tests and start giving IQ tests, to no avail.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #78
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...g.k6H6G4X75vWg

Many US cities have enacted plastic grocery bag bans ...

*note to self, when we go back to Hawaii, remember our reusables ...
Old 08-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #79
Master Chef

Interesting map Kgirl !! It looks like most all of California is covered except my county. Strange.

The pins are absent in all of the southern states. Hmmm, I wonder why?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #80
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Hawaii Is First State to Ban Plastic Bags

" Shops will still provide plastic bags for bulk items such as meat, grains or fresh produce. "

... this doesn't make much sense to me