"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #81
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Hawaii Is First State to Ban Plastic Bags

" Shops will still provide plastic bags for bulk items such as meat, grains or fresh produce. "

... this doesn't make much sense to me
I'm not a bagologist but I think they mean that if you walk up to the meat counter, fish counter, produce section etc... and buy something like a pound of shrimp, grapes or peanuts they will still give you a plastic bag to put them in, still no bags at the checkout.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm not a bagologist but I think they mean that if you walk up to the meat counter, fish counter, produce section etc... and buy something like a pound of shrimp, grapes or peanuts they will still give you a plastic bag to put them in, still no bags at the checkout.
I think that's what they mean.

I have been using re-usable bags since the early '80s. At least no one thinks I'm weird anymore and store owners are no longer insulted.

I still end up with more plastic bags than I want. Once in a blue moon I forget to bring bags or I buy more than will fit in the bags I brought.

Around here, the stores charge for plastic bags. There is an environmental fee on the bags. Some stores give a $.03 or $.05 discount for each bag you bring, though that was more common before they started charging $.05 for each bag.

I agree with Aunt Bea that using a re-usable bag and then buying plastic garbage bags is not really helping. But, some people were just throwing away plastic bags and buying plastic garbage bags. I use the bags I do end up with for garbage. I also carefully cut the top off the plastic package that toilet paper comes in to use for garbage. I usually buy tp in 24-30 roll packages.

I recycle any plastic bags I do end up with and don't use for garbage. That could happen when they are too small or have holes. I'm not convinced they actually get recycled, but I put them in the recycling bin. I live near, but not in, Montreal. Montreal dumps about 95% of the stuff collected as recycling into the landfill. They can't find enough recyclers for the rest. I don't know if that is the case in my town. I'm sure it's not uncommon.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #83
Executive Chef

We use green bags and we sometimes have to ask for some plastic ones as we use them as well. Lots of uses in the home for these plastic grocery bags.

Waste basket liners is one use and when you clean out your fridge they make excellent vehicles to get the discarded food to the trash.
We have a few of the cold/hot zipper bags we use for frozen foods. Invaluable when you go to Costco. In fact Costco has them on sale this month. The extra large size for about $6 if my memory serves me.

We recycle too.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #84
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use re-usables until I run out of trash can liners. I wear out some bags hauling them back and forth to work with my lunches. I've gotten my 5 cent refund on the same bag for the last three weeks. In other words, the store has given me .75 cents on the same bag they gave me in the first place, I shop daily for my fresh fruit and veg for my lunches.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #85
Sous Chef

Some times, some times not. If we do gather a few bags, they go into the recycle bin. Oddly I feel very little guilt using a plastic bag once or twice a week after watching the mountains and mountains and even more mountains of plastic lined disposable diapers (up to size 6) being trundled out the door at any and all Costco stores, pharmacies, grocery stores and other stores that stock baby and kid supplies. As far as I can see the used ones all go into land fills or are simply tossed onto the ground in parking lots.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, disposable diapers are a real problem. Until someone comes up with something equally convenient that is biodegradable or something nearly as convenient that's reusable, it's going to keep on being a problem.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #87
Master Chef

And while we're at complaining about plastics....how about why on earth they are still selling cases upon cases of individual water filled bottles?? Stupid, just pain stupid.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #88
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Because it's the best way to store potable water for many people.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #89
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Because it's the best way to store potable water for many people.
It's the "newest" way to store portable water, but certainly not the best. It's easy enough to use a refillable container and rid the unnecessary plastic waste. Nearly everyone here remembers living without one time only water bottles.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

It's the best way to sell water out of a vending machine. Other than that, I don't see the point.