"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Head Chef

Green grocery bags - do you?

I have purchased 6 of those fabric bags for groceries because I'm tired of the constant build up of plastic bags, not to mention what this is doing to our landfills. Now, I'm wondering, how many of you have these bags too? They are the best idea to come along in a long time and they hold a lot of groceries. No more plastic for me. How about you?

Attached Images

Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I have the store brand but I also have cats. I don't know why but the cats seem to love, love, love laying on the bags before I can get them back out to the car and the bags are black so the cat hair shows. And you can't wash them, they just fall apart.

I need something stronger that's generic. I actually heard a cashier say, "oh, yes, I love bagging your groceries in your X store bag instead of ours." It was a social setting, not the store, but I still remember it so I don't like bringing my Bloom bags to Walmart or Harris Teeter. I don't mind at Lowes because they don't have a store brand at the new location yet.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I love my green bags too! Mine are a larger kind and I take them everywhere, no matter what store! The whole purpose is to use them, wrong name or not. I still want my raw chicken or leaky meat in a plastic bag before being put in my cloth bag.

Anyone have an alternative to this? I guess I could always use a plastic trash bag and then just use it next after getting home. Double duty, so to speak.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I was thinking about getting them but I would rather have a community recyceling program.

When I lived in a different part of town we had a specific can for items to be recycled. If we had more of this it would help out more than anything. imo
Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
I dont use them, BUT Walmart has a box at the entrance of the store to put your plastic bags in for recycling, thats what I do.

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Executive Chef

we have the green bags
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I have several from one of the stores I shop at. They are so much easier to pack and carry than the plastic bags. And they don't have to clutter up the landfill and take a hundred years to disintegrate.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I have the store brand but I also have cats. I don't know why but the cats seem to love, love, love laying on the bags before I can get them back out to the car and the bags are black so the cat hair shows. And you can't wash them, they just fall apart.

I need something stronger that's generic. I actually heard a cashier say, "oh, yes, I love bagging your groceries in your X store bag instead of ours." It was a social setting, not the store, but I still remember it so I don't like bringing my Bloom bags to Walmart or Harris Teeter. I don't mind at Lowes because they don't have a store brand at the new location yet.

I don't think the store cares what name is on your bag as long as you are spending your money in their store. I have bags from several stores and I just grab the first one in the back seat.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I can recycle my plastic bags at Wal-Mart as well. Plus I use the plastic ones as trash can liners and it prevents me from buying even more plastic to put in the landfill. I wonder though, if everyone used cloth bags, if the prices of food would go down a little because the grocery store wouldn't have to pay for bags?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Master Chef

I have around 10 of the bags and use them religiously... a couple of the places I shope give you .05 for each bag you bring in! If I forget my bags, I am sure to recycle those plastic ones or I opt for paper. I use the paper bags to collect junk mail together to put in the recycle bin.