"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #101
Head Chef

I went to a 24 hour home depot once, got all my stuff quickly, but then the clock struck midnight, and they went down to only one cashier!!! so, sure, there were only 25 people in the whole store, but they were now all on the one line to check out, and of course, i was at the end of the line. I just put my cart ( one of those big industrial carts ) off to the side, went home. went to sleep. got up at 6am, back to the store to find my cart in the exact place i left it ( with a few added items on top from other impatient customers) and now, i was the first one on line :)

Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #102
Head Chef

My pet peeve is moving items from the standard placement. My store recently remolded and had a grand opening. Now you can't find a thing. Some condiments are no longer in where they used to be. You have to think about what are you using it for and try to figure out where it might be. Example, Soy Sauce is no longer where it has always been. So you have to think, soy sauce, what am I using it for? Oh, Sweet and sour chicken, maybe the Oriental aisle. Then you see more items you think you need down a aisle you had no need to go down in the first place. Nice sales strategy. i usually end up buy more then what I came in for and forgetting the things I could not find.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's probably something they are required to say. If they don't, they may get a reprimand. Same as "Do you want fries with that?"
Yes, it is..and that's why it bothers me. I know these people. They could care less if "I found what I was looking for" or not.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #104
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Oh yeah, the people who carry around those lap dogs in the supermarket.
I see this more and more. What's worse is when they put the dog in the shopping cart where I put my groceries. Now I love dogs as much as the next person, but the law says only service dogs are allowed in stores. I don't want to get animal excrement, mange, fleas, or worms on my groceries because the person who used the cart before me didn't feel the rules applied to them. The store personnel do nothing about this and it really makes me angry.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #105
Master Chef

I noticed here in SoCal some of the supermarkets in very high income areas have disinfectant wipes available outside next to the shopping cart area.
Nothing like that in mi barrio.....
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #106
Master Chef

yeah, we have the disinfectant wipes even at WalMart and do I use them......best idea ever and then I wash my hands thoroughly after I get home...........

if you want to see dogs in all the public places come to Switzerland..........they are everywhere.....trains, restaurants, etc...........all that I saw were well-behaved, though
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #107
Head Chef

How about people who have worked at grocery stores? I for one worked at one for 6 years and can say that we get our share of rude people too. I also hated the screaming kids, the people going through the checkout on their phone. But I also hated it when people just left their groceries wherever, especially dairy. I agree that sometimes there are some cashiers that are slower than others, but the majority of us went as fast as we could to make sure everyone got served as quickly as possible. If you have a problem with lines, talk to the manager instead of leaving your cart there next time. They are the ones who do the scheduling, and it is the cashiers who have to put all the stuff away if they ever get a free moment. Some places just run their businesses badly. It could have been that someone called in sick that night that there was only one cashier after midnight, which is probably why your cart was still there in the morning. Also, grocery stores try to anticipate volume - and they staff accordingly. It happens sometimes that more people show up than normal.

In my experience, shoppers are like cattle (no offense, I am a shopper too lol). They come to the store in big groups, and leave as a big group. Waves, really.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but some of the stuff you guys are complaining about is just not considerate of the people on the other end who are trying to do their best to serve. I don't want to offend anyone with this post, or start an argument, and I'm sorry if it does. I know alot of you have valid points as well.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #108
Master Chef

No problem, you are forgiven.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #109
Master Chef

I've had my share of rude customers, patients, or service people in general.....don't worry about it, Saphelle. Why I was never fired is beyond me because I had my own way of dealing with rude and or stressed out people...........and it wasn't to be meek or mild that's for sure..............
Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #110
Master Chef

Goes with most any type of business where you have to deal with large numbers of customers.