"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Good point Jeeks....

When they sack my groceries.. they just chunk stuff in there without rhyme or reason. (I usually help bag most stuff since I use the cavas bags and they are a pain), but when they throw canned stuff on top of chips and bread, or put meat in with veggies... .grrrrrr!
A trick to that is to put the groceries on the conveyor how you want them packed. LOL

Cans first, eggs last.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
A trick to that is to put the groceries on the conveyor how you want them packed. LOL

Cans first, eggs last.
I never even thought about that... that is a good idea!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
Executive Chef

blue tooth BORG from a Star Trek re-cast session or a **** lot of psychotics talking to themselves!!

Now, why not make all the aisles accessible to wheelchairs, moms with strollers etc?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cookin' View Post
Just this week I was shopping and a woman with a little girl (by appearances I'd say she was about 4) in her cart who screamed her little uncombed blonde head off for at least 45 minutes --- she was still screaming when the mother finally finished her shopping and checked out. She wanted a toy and she wanted it NOW. I passed this clueless mother a number of times up one aisle and down another. She'd just smile and keep on walking while the little one continued her rant. That's my number one peeve - out of control children. (And not just in the grocery store!)
I know there are some extreme situations, but give the families with grumpy kids a break. It's tough to get to the store between kids nap and mealtimes and everything else that goes on. They are bound to be hungry/tired/bored on some of the shopping trips. Today I was the mom with the kid screaming in the cart through the store. He needed a nap and lunch but it was the only time I could get to the store before we leave for a trip and there wasn't much I could do about it. That mom was probably ignoring her child because her efforts weren't working or were making it worse. You do what you gotta do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
*Families that spread out across the aisles so no one can get past. Why do you need that many people to go shopping?
Sometimes it's fun to go shopping with your family. (I agree they should not block the aisles and run wild throughout the store though).

That being said, the other day I was shopping at a thrift store and the same employee asked me to move 3 times in three different places so he could stock the shelf I was trying to buy something off of. When I worked in a store the rule was "let the shopper shop, stock it later". The shelf was by no means empty, it could have waited! And the aisles were about 2 feet wide so I had to walk clear to the end and back around with my 2 kids to get out of his way so he could stock it. I was extremely annoyed.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Sous Chef

not much bothers me but the 2 that really get me have been said

#1 people blocking my way; taking up the aisle etc..... MOVE!!!!!
#2 Not being able to bag my own. I have my shopping planned out. I knwo the store better then half the employees. I know how my fridge, pantry and freezer are set up. I put my stuff in my car in a certian order. They are on the belt in a certian order. I unload them in a certian order and I put them away in a certian order.

my order is basiclly taking care of my protiens, that are more sensitive to temp changes and etc....
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
Sometimes it's fun to go shopping with your family. (I agree they should not block the aisles and run wild throughout the store though).
I don't mind a large family that's shopping at a mall or something else, but the grocery store is not the place for a family outting. Besides, it generally costs a family more when kids go along to the grocery store.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
That being said, the other day I was shopping at a thrift store and the same employee asked me to move 3 times in three different places so he could stock the shelf I was trying to buy something off of.
Ahhhh heck no!!!!! I would have told him "I'll move when I'm done!" Once is one thing, but to do it 3 different times... no no no!!! We gonna be sparring in the asile!

Yea, I understand about irritable kids... and having multiple kids and trying to juggle that and day to day needs. It happens and I by no means fault that.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Smelly fish counter
I will leave the store immediately if I can smell the seafood counter as soon as I walk in, I figure if they sell bad fish they sure don't care about anything else, either.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

i rarely go into a grocery store anymore. i order groceries on line and they are delievered to my kitchen.

so pleasant, no hassle with kids, carts, phones or any of the things that tick most of you off.

i can take my time, go back and change order if i want, now if i can just teach the shopper that bigger is not better in onions or other vegs. lol

i spend a lot of time on an order for a month, but do it in the comfort of my home.

babe
Old 08-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #20
Head Chef

Yup, rude shoppers would be my #1 also.
#2 Has to be when they run out of sale items. When I make my grocery list, I always look through the sale papers to see what the specials are. If they have an item featured on sale that week, why don't they order accordingly?
#3 is mis-representation. I've ranted on this before (and I know that I really should let it go), but just how in the world can they sell you county style ribs that are cut from a pork shoulder? I don't know about you, but the last time I smoked a shoulder, I sure didn't find any ribs in it!
Recently I bought a bag of frozen flounder fillets. Front of the package said "American Fish Company" complete with a picture of our flag. Got the darn bag home, laid the darn thing on the counter face down and there in small letters on the BACK of bag, at the BOTTOM was product of china...... Give me a break.