Grocery store peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...If you're not using a handicap parking place why would it bother you that someone is even if they don't look like they need it? ...

Because I've seen that white haired lady with a cane struggle to get out of her car and have to walk the longer distance from a regular parking spot to get into the store as the perfectly healthy 30 year old woman gets into her car that's parked in a handicapped spot. I guess I'm just a compassionate person and am tired of the "It's all about ME" generation! :ermm:

I do not think this was posted yet:

People that do not bring the carts back after they are done putting grocery's into the car.....

Because I've seen that white haired lady with a cane struggle to get out of her car and have to walk the longer distance from a regular parking spot to get into the store as the perfectly healthy 30 year old woman gets into her car that's parked in a handicapped spot. I guess I'm just a compassionate person and am tired of the "It's all about ME" generation! :ermm:

Okay let me try to calm you down. My husband had a very severe heart attack and for the last 3 months before he died, he had to park in handicap because he couldn't walk more than a couple hundred feet. No one could have known this when he got out of the car and walked into a store. He didn't drag his feet, walk very slowly or show any outward signs of being handicapped. You can't know what a person has to deal with just because they are able to walk. Not all handicapped people are unable to walk. Feel better now?

I go to the grocery store and I buy my groceries. Sure, there may be someone standing in the way, talking to friends, talking on a cell phone, a baby may be upset. It sounds like these things seriously affect your lives. Sorry, but really? I just don't want my chicken in with my lettuce nor my tomatoes in with my potatoes.

I love the grocery store - I guess I'm just too dumb and happy (thanks VickiQ :LOL:) to let all these things get to me.

And a trip to the grocery store can be a family experience. I had the best times at the grocery store with my son. At a very young age he politely told a lady she needed to check to make sure her eggs weren't broken in the carton as he noticed she did not check to his horror :LOL: and then he showed her how. :rolleyes: And he very politely told the lady who was selling the frozen Sara Lee cheesecake that while it was good it really wasn't cheesecake. If she wanted he would take her to where they had real cheesecake in the back :blush: He actually took her by the hand and said, "come on, I'll show you". She actually let him and I stood there and watched her "stuff". :innocent:

If it is only a few items and does not cost to much and as long as it is nutritious food I have been known to pay it for them. This was in response to the people who get peeved when someone had to put things back when they do not have enough of money.

Blocking the isle, looking at you like your in THEIR way and continue to block.
People that run into you and don't have the morals to appologize!!

Chill out folks, life is too short and getting angry at these things you feel so strongly about will only make your life shorter. I take my time, shop to my heart's contend and don't sweat the small stuff. Shopping for food can be a fun and an uplifting experience. Stay happy.

Expressing what bothers you is a healthy way of staying healthy and living a longer life. If you bottle up what bugs you, it causes stress and leads to further issues.

suziquzie ~ no one here has singled out you and your kids, but a lot of what you've said I personally don't understand. I'm trying not to upset you but I don't understand defending people with screaming kids. I removed my daughter from the store if she even thought of behaving in such a way and I don't understand the comment "could not finish another time." Why? Is everything in your cart so crucial that you have to have it NOW and not another time?

The "lack of sympathy" as you call it is because our children never did such things and we can't understand. Short of formula and diapers there was never anything crucial in my cart that I had to have. The rest could always wait.

I've shopped in the same store for 11 years...
David worked there for 7 of those years...
I know the people, they know me, they know I've been there
a million times and still I hear " Did you find everything you need?" Everytime I'm there... at least 4 times. I don't know why but it bugs me I know where every thing is better than some of the workers. lol

...and still I hear " Did you find everything you need?" Everytime I'm there... at least 4 times. I don't know why but it bugs me I know where every thing is better than some of the workers. lol

It's probably something they are required to say. If they don't, they may get a reprimand. Same as "Do you want fries with that?"

It's probably something they are required to say. If they don't, they may get a reprimand. Same as "Do you want fries with that?"
Until the remodel my Walmart used to ask this, they didn't mean it, but they said it.

Wow, now that I think about it, Harris Teeter, Bloom, Food Lion, and the rest all say it. I generally say yes or "no, but it doesn't matter."

Expressing what bothers you is a healthy way of staying healthy and living a longer life. If you bottle up what bugs you, it causes stress and leads to further issues.

suziquzie ~ no one here has singled out you and your kids, but a lot of what you've said I personally don't understand. I'm trying not to upset you but I don't understand defending people with screaming kids. I removed my daughter from the store if she even thought of behaving in such a way and I don't understand the comment "could not finish another time." Why? Is everything in your cart so crucial that you have to have it NOW and not another time?

The "lack of sympathy" as you call it is because our children never did such things and we can't understand. Short of formula and diapers there was never anything crucial in my cart that I had to have. The rest could always wait.

You must have a lot of energy if you can drop everything every time your kid throws a tantrum. And lots of time to make lots of trips to the store to finish shopping for those items left behind. Or else you have really good kids.

My kids are actually extremely good, but that doesn't mean they don't get tired and hungry. My kids do not whine every time I go to the store. But the do sometimes. And those who see see it probably think I'm such an inconsiderate person for letting my kids whine in the store and assume it's a regular thing. But if it bugs them, they can babysit my kids while I shop and we'll all be happy.

One time in Walmart, on a really busy day, I returned to my cart, which I had left
in an out of the way spot while I dashed an aisle.

To my amazement, my cart's contents were being unloaded into the freezer it was
next to! Three women had decided that since mine was unattended and had only a
few items, it was fair game.

I'm 6' 2" and 230 pounds, and these women outweighed me buy at least 100 pounds...
I went and found another cart!

You must have a lot of energy if you can drop everything every time your kid throws a tantrum. And lots of time to make lots of trips to the store to finish shopping for those items left behind. Or else you have really good kids.
The latter. In 17 years my child has thrown a precisely one fit/trantrum. It was in the middle of Sea World, I sat down on a bench, didn't give her her way, let her scream it out, and when she realized a tantrum didn't work to get her her way, she never threw one again. Beyond having a good kid, and nieces and nephews that know the drill, I'm also good at time management.

I also don't think people are talking about whining kids, it's the full fledge screaming their lungs out can be heard from produce to the garden center on a Saturday in Walmart that I'm talking about.

I am asked that same question everywhere I shop and there have been a few times when I had to tell the checker that I couldn't find an item. She would always ask the bagger to find it for me. And most of the time he does. I have to laugh every time one of the 16 or 17 yr. old baggers asks me "do you need help out with this"? Do I look frail? :rolleyes:

Each person here is an individual. What works for one doesn't always work for another. I don't get the whole mindset here.

I have never been a fan of these types of questions. Even the cell phone question bothers me. They do nothing but divide boards. People get caught up in this negative energy and can't stop until someone's feelings get hurt.

That's all it is, negative energy. :(

People who abandon their carts in the parking lot should be banned for life. Put the cart in the cart corral or take it back inside, for pete's sake--it is only a few steps, and you undoubtedly need the exercise.

How many times have I pulled into a slot only to find a cart blocking the way? And my poor brother ended up spending $400 on body work on his week old car because someone left a cart and it rolled into his door.

The comments/questions (Did you find everything you wanted/needed etc) are all part of the over-all Customer Service (push for sales and profit) program of the retailer. In today's highly competitive markets....especially in the retail grocery business where bottom line net profits are in the single digits... these repetitive questions can literally translate into millions in sales for large a company. I'd be happy to take the profits on French fries from one McDonalds location just on the people who said "Yes" to the question..."Would you like fries with that"?

I don't like people who wait for their order to be completely rang up before digging in their purse to find a check book etc. Didn't you know you were going to have to write a check/slide a card etc when you got there? Grrrrr Oh! Then everybody has to look for a pen!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Back
Top Bottom