"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cookin' View Post
AOL had an interesting article posted this morning about the 20 most annoying things at the grocery store. There were some pretty interesting "peeves" listed.

Just this week I was shopping and a woman with a little girl (by appearances I'd say she was about 4) in her cart who screamed her little uncombed blonde head off for at least 45 minutes --- she was still screaming when the mother finally finished her shopping and checked out. She wanted a toy and she wanted it NOW. I passed this clueless mother a number of times up one aisle and down another. She'd just smile and keep on walking while the little one continued her rant. That's my number one peeve - out of control children. (And not just in the grocery store!)

Number two is the fact that they have row upon row of candy, cookies and chewing gum at the checkout. Even if your child (or in my case grandchildren) has been good as gold this is a lot of temptation for them while you to check out, which often takes longer than it took to select the items to begin with!

What bugs you the most?
Some people have to shop weather it's "ok" with thier children at that point in that certain day weather they want to or not.
Yeah, a screaming kid is annoying, and quite frankly embarrassing, thanks a whole lot........ but some parents, myself included, are not willing to buy a toy or candy just because thier child wants it and wants it now.... just to save your ears.
I apologize in advance if my 2 year old ever is "too loud" for you in the store, but I do not allow "i want that". At least they are not running in the aisles, pulling things off shelves, and disrespecting other's space.
Seems to me you would be the same person thinking badly of my parenting because I DID give in to "I want that".

Old 08-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I ONLY got through about ten of these comments and my blood pressure started rising! I can relate to so many of these comments but what can one do? I have already confronted the manager only to be told I should do something about it. In other words, someone on cell phone I should go to another part of the store and wait until they move on! Also about children, he asked me if I never had a child that was out of sorts! When I did, I sure left the store and came back without him or had someone watch him while I got the things I needed.

Why are the ones that try to do the right thing made to 'understand' someone else's priorities? I am going to read the rest of these comments if I can stand it. This is so real to my own life that just reading them bothers me. I am trying really to be more patient with people but they are the majority not just few.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Not everyone has the ability to come back when it's more convienient (sp?) for you.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

It’s good to see that many of you share the same aggravations as I do…Now I know it really is “them”…and not just me. Out of control children can really grate on my nerves too! However; My number one pet peeve in a grocery store or anywhere for that matter is the physical, mental, and emotional abuse of children…I am a strong advocate of “Spare the rod, spoil the child” and I never “spared the rod” on my children…I tanned their little boo-hineys in a heart beat when called for.… but some of the young moms, and dads I see today are almost out of control with physical abuse... When you grab a child’s arm, jerk them around, and slam them down in the buggy while screaming….NO! You can’t have any Grapes I don’t have the money!!......Gee mom, howya gonna pay for that case of Miller Light, and the carton of Marlboro Smokes??? The same scenario is played out at the check out…”NO! You can’t have that candy bar…it just junk!....”Put it back right this minute…..Put it back I said!!!... Gee mom, you have enough bags, and boxes of “junk food” on the belt to choke a full grown Billy Goat. Who’s gonna eat that stuff???
Some of my fondest memories are grocery shopping with my children…especially at the check out….Ok, Sweetie pie, hop down and get anything you want…After pondering what must have looked like a whole wall of candy and goodies to her, she would make her selection of one, sometimes two items, and hold them with both hands tightly to her chest. She was a happy little girl. I often wondered why she didn’t go for the “good stuff’…you know, Snickers, Milky Way, Hershey Bars with Almonds, etc…. It was always the kid stuff…the inexpensive stuff…Anyway, she managed to grow up, is very healthy, has a beautiful smile with sparkling white teeth, and I managed not to go bankrupt in the process. All in all a very positive experience…If you have never allowed a child be a “kid in a candy store” …ya don’t know what you’re missin…Today, almost every time she comes home she brings me some candy…....….the “good stuff”

Bless the beast, and especially the children, for they have no voice.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
I ONLY got through about ten of these comments and my blood pressure started rising! I can relate to so many of these comments but what can one do? I have already confronted the manager only to be told I should do something about it. In other words, someone on cell phone I should go to another part of the store and wait until they move on! Also about children, he asked me if I never had a child that was out of sorts! When I did, I sure left the store and came back without him or had someone watch him while I got the things I needed.

Why are the ones that try to do the right thing made to 'understand' someone else's priorities? I am going to read the rest of these comments if I can stand it. This is so real to my own life that just reading them bothers me. I am trying really to be more patient with people but they are the majority not just few.
I did the same thing. In 17 years of mothering I have never once been in the grocery store and had my child cry or act out. She never cried for toys because no one ever gave them to her so she never expected them. As for going when she was cranky, as it was far more pleasant for me to shop with a happy child, I just wouldn't do it. There was nothing I needed bad enough to shop with a cranky child. Never! And I was a single mom with no one to leave her with so I made it work.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

how wonderful for you.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
...Some of my fondest memories are grocery shopping with my children…especially at the check out….Ok, Sweetie pie, hop down and get anything you want…After pondering what must have looked like a whole wall of candy and goodies to her, she would make her selection of one, sometimes two items, and hold them with both hands tightly to her chest. She was a happy little girl. I often wondered why she didn’t go for the “good stuff’…you know, Snickers, Milky Way, Hershey Bars with Almonds, etc…. It was always the kid stuff…the inexpensive stuff…Anyway, she managed to grow up, is very healthy, has a beautiful smile with sparkling white teeth, and I managed not to go bankrupt in the process. All in all a very positive experience…If you have never allowed a child be a “kid in a candy store” …ya don’t know what you’re missin…Today, almost every time she comes home she brings me some candy…....….the “good stuff”

Bless the beast, and especially the children, for they have no voice.

Bravo, Uncle Bob. A sensible approach with outstanding results.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
how wonderful for you.
I think you are taking this issue a little too personally. If the subject makes you so upset, maybe you shouldn't read the thread.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

I am taking it personally. I'm not understanding the lack of understanding and sympathy for a person in a grocery store having a bad day with a child and attempting to move along.
Have you ever stopped to think this was not how thier trip started out?
Maybe that poor woman had been blindsided by this howling fit and could not finish another time, and quite possibly she could use your smile and not your sneer because your children never would have done that?
Maybe her children never do either, and she is horrified more than you can imagine that all these people are listening to it.
I apologize if I sound upset, but I really would rather give the poor parent an understanding smile for doing the best they could than an angry look for not "shutting that kid up".
Old 08-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #30
DC Grandma

What about the people riding a handicap cart???We must be invisible...so many times people walk in front of one and give a dirty look..(I am very good driving one and can stop on a dime...thank goodness) they need to look where they are going. People seem to zone out in a store...Blocking the aisle is my peeve.

Children crying ...look at your watch..is it nap time? Is it lunch time? there usually is a reason. Not just because they want something.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote