Grocery store peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm 5'4". So are a lot of other women, if not shorter. I think this is within normal range. Yet, I sometimes cannot reach for the item on the top shelf and have been known to stand on the bottom rack to get what I need. I also have a problem with the freezer section. My arms won't reach to the back of it. I ask for help if I need it. Chalk it up to a minor annoyance.

The comments/questions (Did you find everything you wanted/needed etc) are all part of the over-all Customer Service (push for sales and profit) program of the retailer. In today's highly competitive markets....especially in the retail grocery business where bottom line net profits are in the single digits... these repetitive questions can literally translate into millions in sales for large a company. I'd be happy to take the profits on French fries from one McDonalds location just on the people who said "Yes" to the question..."Would you like fries with that"?

I don't like people who wait for their order to be completely rang up before digging in their purse to find a check book etc. Didn't you know you were going to have to write a check/slide a card etc when you got there? Grrrrr Oh! Then everybody has to look for a pen!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Having owned several retail shops myself, I can understand the "push" for more sales. This is just smart business because the bottom line here is profit. It's what keeps the bills and salaries paid.

You got me on your last one. This is indeed my only real pet peeve. Do these people not realize that they have to pay for these groceries? They hold up the entire line digging for their checkbook AFTER the entire order is rung up. Surpirise lady, you gotta pay now. ;)

The latter. In 17 years my child has thrown a precisely one fit/trantrum. It was in the middle of Sea World, I sat down on a bench, didn't give her her way, let her scream it out, and when she realized a tantrum didn't work to get her her way, she never threw one again. Beyond having a good kid, and nieces and nephews that know the drill, I'm also good at time management.

I also don't think people are talking about whining kids, it's the full fledge screaming their lungs out can be heard from produce to the garden center on a Saturday in Walmart that I'm talking about.

That's awesome! What a great girl! So what was the Sea World tantrum about? It would be interesting to know the one thing that could set her off on a tantrum.

I could probably use some tips on the tantrum thing. My son has had some health problems which tends to make him extra grumpy. Fortunately he has ever had a screaming fit in the store (just whining), but at home--watch out! I have yet to find a form of discipline that works. He seems to like time out and everything else. Of course, he's not even two yet. I guess that's a topic for another thread, but really I'm open to suggestions on that one.

Thanks for pointing out that you meant wild screaming tantrums and not just whiny kids. There certainly is a difference. I suppose all I really meant by my post was that the mother of the screamer is probably pretty stressed out and just needs a break (and maybe a few lessons on child discipline).

That's awesome! What a great girl! So what was the Sea World tantrum about? It would be interesting to know the one thing that could set her off on a tantrum.
Her tantrum was more about the fact that something was unavailable through no fault of my own. I remember where I was standing / sitting so it was either that Shamu's Happy Harbor was closed for repair or the ice cream place was closed for the season. As the situation was beyond my control, I let her have her fit and when all was said and done and the fit didn't change the situation, she learned that fits don't work.

My mom always said "Never, ever give in to a tantrum" and I never did and I found out why she lived by that with myself and my brother. Neither of us or our kids throw the screaming, throw themselves down on the ground fits to get their way when they are with us or her before she passed away. They all knew/we all knew that it wasn't going to work. It's the kids whose parents were never given this advice that gave into a fit that have an uphill battle. Once you give in to a fit, for whatever reason, it's hard to get them not to have fits and expect their way, in my experience. "It worked once, it will work again" is what their minds tell them. With my daughter and nieces they know it won't work because we didn't give in the first time.

Don't get me wrong, it's not easy to stand there, especially in a public place like Disneyland or Sea World, but it works in the long run.

And again, really, it's not about whining, it's about screeching, screaming tantrums.

I think part of the screaming kid issue is how it is handled in today's ME ME ME
society....

It used to be proper etiquette for the parent to remove the child from public when
the tantrum hit. Out of church, out of store, out of restaurant...
It was a polite thing to do. It was embarrassing to have a child who behaved so rudely
in public.

Not anymore. Today's etiquette is pretty much "uh, ME. ME ME ME."
People rarely go out of their way if it isn't directly benefiting THEM.

sad.

Maybe that mother in the grocery store was not giving

in to a temper tantrum. Maybe she was just waiting it out. If she takes the tantrum child home isn't she just giving in? Maybe that one in the store was the last one her child ever had also.

I was a big time tantrum thrower when I was a kid. I doubt my parents ever gave in, it's not in my father's nature. But I sure feel bad for my mother with me at the grocery store! I suppose I deserve a kid who throws tantrums!

I just remembered what really bothers me at the store, and it's really no one's fault. It's when they are out of the one thing I went to the store for in the first place. It can be very disappointing.

Maybe that mother in the grocery store was not giving in to a temper tantrum. Maybe she was just waiting it out. If she takes the tantrum child home isn't she just giving in? Maybe that one in the store was the last one her child ever had also.
Not necessarily. You don't have to take a child home to ride out the tantrum, you just have to remove them to a location where they can scream, not get their way, not annoy others, and allow it to pass. It will pass. It's like the cat in the tree, eventually they come down, I mean, when was the last time you saw a cat skeleton in a tree?

come over here and shop----you'll welcome a screaming kid and someone on a cellphone........there is NO aisle room at the local grocery... I have actually lifted by hand the cart over pallets blocking the aisles...they do NOT bag your groceries.......they don't greet you and they don't smile..... they could care less if you found everything that you needed and they certainly don't wish you a good day....you can let someone in front of you with one or two items if your cart is full and they won't even smile or thank you........men will let a door slam in your face and not give a care..........you are NOT their concern.......anyone want to come and shop here??????????? Oh, forgot to mention that I see cuts of meat that I have no idea what they are..........I've been cooking for over 30 years and sometimes have to point to parts of my anatomy to be sure that's what I'm buying....... do you know how embarrassing it is to point to your Marilyn Monroes and ask if that's what is in the package.....it's nothing like what you see in the states.......shopping in the states is such a great feeling...........I could kiss the floor when I come home........no peeves in the states now

Another peeve: Perishable foods left sitting all over the store. Don't people realize that IT COSTS THEM MONEY??? engage brain, please.

When I worked at a grocery store someone stuffed a frozen fish in a candy bin by the registers ON CHRISTMAS EVE! You can imagine the smell when we opened the store after Christmas!

Well I just got in from the grocery store...It was a pretty un-eventful trip! I did get really lucky when I pulled into the parking lot however...I saw this lady headed to her car with her purchases...Suddenly she stopped at her car.... she was only three parking places from the front door..Yipee! It's hot here today, and I didn't want to walk that extra 50 feet in the heat, so I just sat and waited for her to unload her groceries into the back seat...and to back out of the parking space of course....There were a lot of very rude people behind me blowing their horns, making gestures etc.:ermm: I don't know what their problem was....:LOL: Oh well...it's good to be home!

Nobody is intending to tread on your obviously tender toes, but really, if the screaming goes on for more than 5 minutes hit the door. Sure we've all had out of sorts little ones, but out of respect for others it is just common sense to take it outside.

I know how you feel, Uncle Bob.......I always kiss the ground when I hit TX as I'm so happy to be home..........let them blow their horns :)

I hope you caught the satirical tone to my story!! It didn't really happen as I stated it....However; It does peeve me, to the highest level of peevtivity when someone does that, and I am the one waiting behind them........blowing the horn:LOL: .........Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

I agree with Southern Cooking, Breezycooking and Callisto.

When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, kids' bad behavior was not tolerated in my family, nor in the families of the kids in my neighborhood (except for two brothers who were crybabies and their mother allowed it).

Therefore, it's hard for me to see kids behaving badly these days and/or to make excuses for them or for the parents. I know it doesn't have to be that way, because I lived it.

In my experience, however, expressing that fact does not endear me to today's parents, most of whom I think are trying to do the best they can, but their expectations and level of acceptance of behavior are different than they were when I was a kid.

I did want to publicly offer my support of the posters with whom I agree.

Lee

Forgot one: What unnerves me is when I hear a parent ask a child, now will you eat this or do you want that? In the produce section, I doubt if the child will want anything there unless it is candy apples. I do hear so many moms ask the child what they want? I always told my family what they were going to eat it is only now that they are older they tell me what they want to eat. But I do know they eat everything that is on their plate! Don't know how that happened! I sure resent throwing food out that isn't spoiled. Now when they bring friends around most of them never clean their plates. When I ask if something was wrong they said they just weren't that hungry. Then why put it on your plate? Oh, sorry got side tracked again.

Back
Top Bottom