Grocery store peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to a 24 hour home depot once, got all my stuff quickly, but then the clock struck midnight, and they went down to only one cashier!!! so, sure, there were only 25 people in the whole store, but they were now all on the one line to check out, and of course, i was at the end of the line. I just put my cart ( one of those big industrial carts ) off to the side, went home. went to sleep. got up at 6am, back to the store to find my cart in the exact place i left it ( with a few added items on top from other impatient customers) and now, i was the first one on line :)

My pet peeve is moving items from the standard placement. My store recently remolded and had a grand opening. Now you can't find a thing. Some condiments are no longer in where they used to be. You have to think about what are you using it for and try to figure out where it might be. Example, Soy Sauce is no longer where it has always been. So you have to think, soy sauce, what am I using it for? Oh, Sweet and sour chicken, maybe the Oriental aisle. Then you see more items you think you need down a aisle you had no need to go down in the first place. Nice sales strategy. i usually end up buy more then what I came in for and forgetting the things I could not find.:censored:

It's probably something they are required to say. If they don't, they may get a reprimand. Same as "Do you want fries with that?"

Yes, it is..and that's why it bothers me. I know these people. They could care less if "I found what I was looking for" or not.:)

Oh yeah, the people who carry around those lap dogs in the supermarket.

I see this more and more. What's worse is when they put the dog in the shopping cart where I put my groceries. Now I love dogs as much as the next person, but the law says only service dogs are allowed in stores. I don't want to get animal excrement, mange, fleas, or worms on my groceries because the person who used the cart before me didn't feel the rules applied to them. The store personnel do nothing about this and it really makes me angry. :mad:

I noticed here in SoCal some of the supermarkets in very high income areas have disinfectant wipes available outside next to the shopping cart area.
Nothing like that in mi barrio.....

yeah, we have the disinfectant wipes even at WalMart and do I use them......best idea ever and then I wash my hands thoroughly after I get home...........

if you want to see dogs in all the public places come to Switzerland..........they are everywhere.....trains, restaurants, etc...........all that I saw were well-behaved, though

How about people who have worked at grocery stores? I for one worked at one for 6 years and can say that we get our share of rude people too. I also hated the screaming kids, the people going through the checkout on their phone. But I also hated it when people just left their groceries wherever, especially dairy. I agree that sometimes there are some cashiers that are slower than others, but the majority of us went as fast as we could to make sure everyone got served as quickly as possible. If you have a problem with lines, talk to the manager instead of leaving your cart there next time. They are the ones who do the scheduling, and it is the cashiers who have to put all the stuff away if they ever get a free moment. Some places just run their businesses badly. It could have been that someone called in sick that night that there was only one cashier after midnight, which is probably why your cart was still there in the morning. Also, grocery stores try to anticipate volume - and they staff accordingly. It happens sometimes that more people show up than normal.

In my experience, shoppers are like cattle (no offense, I am a shopper too lol). They come to the store in big groups, and leave as a big group. Waves, really.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but some of the stuff you guys are complaining about is just not considerate of the people on the other end who are trying to do their best to serve. I don't want to offend anyone with this post, or start an argument, and I'm sorry if it does. I know alot of you have valid points as well.

I've had my share of rude customers, patients, or service people in general.....don't worry about it, Saphelle. Why I was never fired is beyond me because I had my own way of dealing with rude and or stressed out people...........and it wasn't to be meek or mild that's for sure..............

I noticed here in SoCal some of the supermarkets in very high income areas have disinfectant wipes available outside next to the shopping cart area.
Nothing like that in mi barrio.....

we have the wipes here too in Pa. I use them and wash my hands when I get home.

I have only one real pet peave. AND, it's already been mentioned.

I work nights. Can't help it; that's how the restaurant industry works. Because of the price of gas, I will make one weekly grocery run. However, since I drive right by a super wally world on the way home, I will often stop to pick up something I forgot on the weekly trip. Used to be, this was a gallon of milk, about one a day. However, this policy of shutting down ALL self-serve registers at 10 pm, closing down all but 2 - 3 of the regular registers, and only two "express" registers, WHEN THE STORE IS PACKED WITH CUSTOMERS UNTIL AFTER MIDNIGHT, make NO freaking sense to me. Many times I've waited, patiently, for over 20 minutes to buy one gallon milk, while it only takes me 4 minutes to park, walk into the store, back to dairy, grab the gallon, and walk up to the registers.

Up in MI, the Meier's would leave their self-serve registers open all night.

Luckily for me now, the kids don't drink as much milk as they used to, AND, I've got a couple other stores that I can buy milk from if I need to, with the same or lower price/gallon on milk, and a lot less waiting time at the register.

</rant>

I know I have already told you about lady who opened jar and not only smelled it but tasted it! When I said you shouldn't do that! She shrugged her shoulders and said no english!! When I went to manager about it he said he didn't have enough people to patrol the stock and the customers too. Same thing happened to Whole Foods all the time. First time it shocked me, now I just accept nothing person can do to change people who don't understand.

Shopping at night would be perfect for those who can't tolerate small annoyances. Guess you won't know, if you don't see it.

I sure don't know if I am doing myself a favor by reading this thread! Who started talking about something so aggravating? Do you think expressing your dislikes helps? Maybe if I read these comments often enough, it won't upset me because I know there are you people out there who feel the same way I do!

Amen I AM trying to be a better person. Really I am!

Goodness, In the Kitchen, I have never witnessed what you've experienced.......once in awhile, I'll see someone tasting a grape but that's about it.......and yes, I have seen people put items back where they don't belong but not perishables.......maybe I shop at the wrong times.....mornings and afternoons.......never at night if I can help it......DH gets home too late..........and yes, I will sometimes take a bottle of water or diet Sprite and drink it in the store but I always pay for it..........and I once took back a sack of beef that was missed by the cashier, stood in line again, and paid for it.......sorry that you've had these experiences..... how frustrating....hope that it improves..:)

Back
Top Bottom