Grocery Stores Open Christmas Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, i'm not a happy camper. :(

i was promised last year that i would be able to either work the midnight shift or get christmas day off for the next few years, while my son is young. "don't worry, we'll work something out" was the expression.

but now, between vacations and new people in my dept., i have to work a christmas dayshift. the other senior engineer decided that he wants the day off and has seniority over me. the only other guys in are inexperienced, so my boss decided that we couldn't leave the fate of the network to them. :glare:

i beefed and belly-ached about it, so he is unofficially allowing me to be on call in the morning so i could be home, and then "mickey mouse" (a union term meaning splitting a shift) the day with one of the new guys.

so, i'll be in by noon and out by 4-ish, depending on if the systems cooperate.

I only have to work one "Big" day, and its not a holiday but I work every New Years Eve as the doorman at my local American Legion. It doesn't bother me to work since I don't take part in a new years celebration, I'm happy every day I wake up. ;) I do think most businesses should be closed except 1 gas station and 1 drug store.

i'm working a 17 hour shift on new years eve as well. :neutral: in at 11p, out at 4p new years day. although that's not as big a deal anymore.

last year, we were all asleep by 11.

Oh boy, I'm glad at least that you've worked things out so that you can be home in the morning. Hopefully most of the excitement will be done early so you won't feel like you're missing anything. I'd come spell you off but I think the network might be a leeettle bit cranky if you let me near all the "stuff". They'd end up playing the Mentalist 24/7. Heh heh heh.

lol, alix. i figured that it was a chick show.

believe me, i've been tempted to jump on one of the on-air graphics machines and type out a personal message or two. :cool:

Oh my. THAT would be fun! (My mind is just going a mile a minute thinking of the fun you could have with that!) And yep indeedy its a chick show! I figure since I like it that is the kiss of death and it will be cancelled in the new year. LOL.

By the time Christmas Day rolls around, I've always been too tired to budge. I never wanted to be away from my family..not even to run an errand.

Although many businesses will open on the 25th traffic will be very light. Like I did last year I plan on visiting my parents who lives 40 miles away by bicycle. Why not get a good ride in at the same time? My cycling buddies will be doing an almost day long group ride elsewhere. Good for them.

DH has to work Christmas day, but he works in a group home as a care aid and that is a 24/7/365 job that is essential. He starts at 7 and is home by 3:30. Because we don't have little kids, and now aren't even traveling out of town to my families, it is not a problem. I might even go in with him as I have some presents for the residents and would love to give them out myself!

smoke king said:
You know, I can remember when most business closed on Sundays....Now their open 24/7, 365 days a year!

Living in a small Mexican town is like stepping back in time. Most businesses are closed by 2 on Saturday and do not reopen until Monday morning. Families mostly do their shopping at the weekly tianguis, which is a big outdoor market that sets up in the middle of town on Sundays. The different vendors sell produce, meat, poultry, seafood, clothes, medicines, electronics, grocery items, hardware, tools, delicious tacos, plastic housewares, crafts, nursery stock - just about anything you could possibly want or need. It is a family affair, with all the children and grandparents browsing, shopping and getting a bite to eat. We went last week and bought a screwdriver, a wastebasket, a fresh pineapple, a watermelon and a feather duster.

But things are changing - about a year ago, a large Mega supermarket opened here, and it is open from 8 am to 11 pm every day. I welcome the new amenities, but will be sorry to see things change.

Oh my. THAT would be fun! (My mind is just going a mile a minute thinking of the fun you could have with that!) And yep indeedy its a chick show! I figure since I like it that is the kiss of death and it will be cancelled in the new year. LOL.
James likes The Mentalist as much as I do! For him though, I think it is because he is kind of like Patrick Jane in some ways--James is very good at reading people, and he picks up on the subtlest clues.

We agree that it will probably be cancelled since we love it!

:)Barbara

lol, alix. i figured that it was a chick show.

believe me, i've been tempted to jump on one of the on-air graphics machines and type out a personal message or two. :cool:

I would watch just to see that!:LOL:

Then I could tell everyone, "I know the guy that did that!!":ROFLMAO:

OH, as for the topic, the only thing that bothers me is that most of the places I have worked for in the past make exceptions for every religion except Christianity. If you are Jewish you are home before dark when needed and have your holidays off. If you are Muslim, same thing. But as a practicing Christian don't you dare ask for Sundays, Easter, or Christmas off!! In fact, at the last place I worked you could get Kwanzaa off but I still had to work Christmas day...
I thought we weren't supposed to promote one religion over another in this country, and respect all of them equally...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom