Grocery Stores Open Christmas Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I kid you not. All of them around here.

I almost want to go to buy a loaf of bread or gallon of milk just to see who got stuck working on Christmas.

For non-Christians, I guess it's no big deal (and maybe means holiday pay), but it just smells wrong to me.

I agree...I think it is ridiculous. Even little stores are open back where I used to live. In CT, Blockbuster, Friendly's, CVS, Walgreen's,...all of these stores are open. I realize that not everyone celebrates Christmas but a majority do. Why is there such a need for stores to be open? Get you things before!!!:santa:

I see from their circulars that the two biggest chain grocers around here are closing early Christmas eve and opening the 26th. Maybe it's a bible belt thing.

Last edited:
Mudbug, the place hubby works never closes for anything. With his schedule, he works Chrismas Eve & is off Christmas Day this year, last year, he worked both days. I mean seriosly, it's not like they are making something to save the world or anything, it's just kayaks & canoes!!!

I work at a major grocery chain and they're only closed one day a year... Christmas. Easter's not even consindered to be a holiday. It's all about the mighty dollar.

It all began years ago when people simply had to go to the movies on New Year's Day. Then they had to shop on New Year's Day. Then it was imperative to make a purchase of some kind on Thanksgiving morning. Then, for the late wakers, it could wait till Thanksgiving afternoon.

We have people who simply have to shop for christmas gifts until 1 in the morning. Some have to get in there at 6am.

It doesn't surprise me that shop owners want to remain open on the holiday. The people keep going in!!!!:mad:

If people would simply stay home and enjoy the holiday, refusing to frequent any business that feels the need to keep employees working, the owners would lose money and rethink the entire enterprise. As the customer, we apparently permit this to happen. I would sincerely ask that you don't go in for that loaf of bread. You'd make more of a point by staying away.

VeraBlue said:
It doesn't surprise me that shop owners want to remain open on the holiday. The people keep going in!!!!:mad:

If people would simply stay home and enjoy the holiday, refusing to frequent any business that feels the need to keep employees working, the owners would lose money and rethink the entire enterprise. As the customer, we apparently permit this to happen. I would sincerely ask that you don't go in for that loaf of bread. You'd make more of a point by staying away.
img_373290_0_1d2ba4d52de2bee255814b810f8ab283.gif

I think we should all stay home with our family on the holdays - but the holidays don't always mean to everyone what it means to me - sadly:( - some people don't want to be with their family - some people don't have family. I feel sorry for those people.

I can remember someone in my family was sick on Christmas Eve about 50 yrs ago and we drove all over Alexandria VA and Washington DC to find a pharmacy that was open. We were gone for hours.

I remember it because of all the wonderful Christmas lights that I got to see and I got to be alone with my dad. ;)

middie said:
I work at a major grocery chain and they're only closed one day a year... Christmas. Easter's not even consindered to be a holiday. It's all about the mighty dollar.
Middie, I did too for 16 yrs., so sad- greedy - probably cost more for all the lights they use !! Retired --woo hoo, but miss the income ! :santa:

Michelemarie said:
I think we should all stay home with our family on the holdays - but the holidays don't always mean to everyone what it means to me - sadly:( - some people don't want to be with their family - some people don't have family. I feel sorry for those people.
I agree with you Middie, we are so fortunate to have the familys we have. My Parents are gone, one brother out of town. But I have one married son w/ 2 great grandsons, and a son at home -- love em' all and so thankful !

Gosh, it takes away one of the great horrors, and subsequent joys, of the season.

The horror comes when suddenly you realize that you do not have a key ingredient for a dish, panic because no store is open, and you have to figurre out some solution to the problem. The joy comes when you pull the dish off without the item. Or figure out how to substitute for it while you know the in-laws are on the road.

Now, I suppose, one can always run out to the local A&P (do those stores even exist anymore?) and pick up the forgotten potatoes, but it seems to me the stores being open kinda takes away the challange of the day.

Am tongue in cheek of course. And do feel sorry for those who celebrate Christmas having to work.

And am kinda sorry for those who do not celebrate the day having to work.

To me the idea of Christmas for anyone should be peace on Earth and goodwill to all. Even for those who do not attach a religious meaning to the day.

In WWI soldiers on both sides left their trenches on Christmas and met in friendship with the folks they had, and soon would be again, shooting at.

If a day can do such a thing, why do we want to lessen it?

Am not a naif, but to me Christmas is a special day.

Just a thought. Merry Christmas to all.

:) I don't know about stores closing for Christmas being unique to the "Bible Belt". I'm in Michigan and in my city there is virtually nothing open on Christmas Day- and I for one like it that way.

Jenyfari said:
I guess not everyone celebrates Christmas and when you think about it we could be working on days that other religions celebrate so I don't see a problem with it.
After managing and supervising for many years, I can't recall anyone ever seriously complaining about being forced to abstain from work on Dec. 25.

To me it doesnt matter one way or another if stores want to be open or not for whichever holidays. Sure, back in the day, not long ago really, most stores would close up shop, but the reality is that people like to shop, whether it be Christmas or any other holiday.

There are many that like to see a movie at the theatre on or around Christmas, and I dont think many would like the theatre to close ;)

In Massachusetts, there are blue laws. A group of laws dictated by the church many years ago that, among other things, mandate stores be closed on Sundays and holidays.

Little by little, these laws are being eliminated. Now all stores can be open on holidays and Sundays except liquor stores. I guess they are too evil. That is, except for the Sundays between Thanksgiving and Christmas when they can be open on Sundays.

...oh, also, they are not too evil to stay open on Sundays if they are in communities within ten miles of the NH border. That's because the NH liquor stores are open on Sundays and we don't want the stores to lose too much business.

All this illiustrates that laws are often made to accommodate one group or another, whether it's the church or the economy that is dictating, and just how absurd they can be.

Whether or not stores are open on a holiday does not impact how I celebrate or enjoy any holiday. People will shop or not based on what they want or need. More power to them. I stay home.

Vera is right, if no one shops, they will close. The opposite is also true. If you open they will come.

I prefer to stay in for Christmas also, but if a toy or gift requires batteries....
well I`m afraid it`s coat and boots on and off to the local shop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom