"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Master Chef

You might try a table spoon of horseradish. That got my son a few years ago. He didn't know what it was and took a spoonful to try. He hasn't eaten any since! You could also go the whole bug route. I'm sure there's got to be an ethnic market around that carries them.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Sous Chef

My father used to have a vile concoction every morning, because he claimed it is healthy. It is suitable for a camping trip, because you dont need to cook it.

You put a raw egg in a cup, with a few splashes of milk. The trick to consuming it is to swallow the lot without breaking the egg yolk. Not breaking the egg yolk will likely make the experience slightly less disgusting, but I am not going to try the concoction so I cant confirm this. There are better tasting ways to eat healty in my opinion. As well as that, my father might have been misinformed about how healthy the concoction is, because after he had a heart attack, he was told by doctors to limit his egg consumption to 2 per week.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
She may have meant porridge.
I bet you are exactly right!
I oughta know better than to tax my old brain in the mornings.....Thanks!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
sardines, cooked, cold Brussels sprouts, and maybe sour kraut or something.
I would eat any of those things without hesitation. Having grown up on it, I could eat sauerkraut by the bucketful.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quail, a tiny game bird in Spain is codorniz and Patridge is perdÝz which is a red breasted game bird, smaller than a pheasant however, larger than a quail and I Like all three of these when freshly hunted and served oven baked.

It is porridge I detest, a cereal grain ... Horrid ...

Margi.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Skittle--since you're in MN--can you find Lutefisk at this time of year--maybe in the frozen food section?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Hoot,

Manteca de Cerdo, a white looking shortening, is pure pork grease used in Spain and Italy to grease the roast for the oven for crispiness ... there is nothing that works better ... Cochinillo Asado is baby suckling piglet ( a little pink porker piglet ) that is prepared and world renowned in Segovia for its crisp skin and white juicy tender interior ...

However, to eat this or Crisco in a sandwich, no thank you ... each to his own.

Thanks for the odd funny anecdote ...
Margi.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Skittle--since you're in MN--can you find Lutefisk at this time of year--maybe in the frozen food section?
Yes! Lutefisk is definitely gross.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Sous Chef

In reply to the sour kraut and the lutefisk, using relatively normal foods make it somewhat more interesting, because it is luck of the draw. You might get something you don't mind at all, while the other person detests it. You actually get to pick one (it will be covered so you don't know what you're picking) and then pick who you want to go up against. Since its a family and friends situation, if you happen to know someone doesn't like what you picked you can use that to your advantage :) I like the boiled okra idea a little too much- if I'm still in the game for the 5th round I don't want to be stuck with that one!!!!! Lol!

We also ruled out lard because of the high fat/calorie content. It would just be too unhealthy to eat enough of it to make it worth having it in the game. Loving the ideas tho!

What is tripe?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
In reply to the sour kraut and the lutefisk, using relatively normal foods make it somewhat more interesting, because it is luck of the draw.
Not sure if you mean that sauerkraut and lutefisk are relatively normal foods, or not. When I think MN, lutefisk does come to mind (there are still lutefisk dinners at the local Lutheran churches around Christmas time). I never ate okra until I started growing it in the garden, but I tried lutefisk once--that was enough for me. I do love sauerkraut, however. My grandmother ate lutefisk fairly often.