Gross food challenge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
Ok, so here's the deal. Every year my bf's huge group of friends and family go on this camping weekend trip. This year, bf planned out this elaborate "survivor" type game. One of the challenges has to do with 5 different types of gross food. Some of the ideas we've come up with are sardines, cooked, cold Brussels sprouts, and maybe sour kraut or something. We need more ideas... Please help!

liver (although I like it, others don't)
kidney (not on my table, thank you)
raw oysters (but they might be hard to transport--I love raw oysters, but a friend's husband can't stand to watch us eat them)

CWS4322 said:
liver (although I like it, others don't)
kidney (not on my table, thank you)
raw oysters (but they might be hard to transport--I love raw oysters, but a friend's husband can't stand to watch us eat them)

Lol I'm thinking liver smoothie... Eeeewwww!!! I better not come up with anything too nasty because I plan to be one of the players lol. You have to make it to the top 5 to make it to the food challenge tho.

And raw oysters would probably be hard for camping. That's one I thought of too tho :)

Last edited:
Lol I'm thinking liver smoothie... Eeeewwww!!! I better not come up with anything too nasty because I plan to be one of the players lol. You have to make it to the top 5 to make it to the food challenge tho.

And raw oysters would probably be hard for camping. That's one I thought of too tho :)
Boiled okra might give you the "snot" factor, somewhat like oysters.

Pig's feet, chittlin's, tripe, beef tongue, pork brains scrambled with eggs, boudin noir,
menudo, crisco sandwiches....I reckon that's enough for now...give somebody else a chance.

Canned chicken, anybody??
canned%20chicken%203.jpg

Last edited:
Gross For Me

Skittles,

Fab topic, however, what is gross for one person, is a delicacy for another ...

I detest in any form:

pumpkin and yellow squash
soy beans and tofu ( allergic to soy )
overcooked stew meat of any type
green peas mashed or puréed
canned chicken or canned ham & overload of sodium
okra
Partridge ( cereal ) in any form
Orange and yellow bland bland tasteless Cow cheeses from northern Europe and the USA
orange foods except oranges
yellow foods except lemon
pig´s feet, manitas ...
sangré ( pig´s blood )
anything in a can
most forms of lard as an item to eat ( they are to be used to grease a roast )
Carrot cake in any form ( this is not a dessert )
Grits
Greasy anything
Cuban style fried pork
Chinese cuisine: chop suey, chow mein and any other wee tiny diced and over cooked garbage they could poison with and their Msg
most fresh water Fish ( there are a couple of exceptions )

Textures like Snotty, runny, overcooked and pasty ... :pig::cool:

Have fun Skittles,
Margi. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Now..let me clarify....the only thing on my list that I do not enjoy is the crisco sandwich. Most folks I know, find all of the items on that list objectionable for one reason or another. The crisco sandwich is one of the few things I balk at trying. I worked with a guy many years ago (circa 1984/85) who brought his lunch to work. He ate at least one crisco sandwich everyday. I wonder if he is still alive.....

Margi.....some of the things on your list I can understand.
I reckon you most likely ain't never had properly cooked grits. :LOL:
Partridge ( cereal ) in any form
I am unfamiliar with a cereal by this name...there is a wild fowl that is called partridge (Quail) in these parts, mighty good eating, by the way.
What is partridge?

You might try a table spoon of horseradish. That got my son a few years ago. He didn't know what it was and took a spoonful to try. He hasn't eaten any since! You could also go the whole bug route. I'm sure there's got to be an ethnic market around that carries them.

My father used to have a vile concoction every morning, because he claimed it is healthy. It is suitable for a camping trip, because you dont need to cook it.

You put a raw egg in a cup, with a few splashes of milk. The trick to consuming it is to swallow the lot without breaking the egg yolk. Not breaking the egg yolk will likely make the experience slightly less disgusting, but I am not going to try the concoction so I cant confirm this. There are better tasting ways to eat healty in my opinion. As well as that, my father might have been misinformed about how healthy the concoction is, because after he had a heart attack, he was told by doctors to limit his egg consumption to 2 per week. :)

Quail, a tiny game bird in Spain is codorniz and Patridge is perdíz which is a red breasted game bird, smaller than a pheasant however, larger than a quail and I Like all three of these when freshly hunted and served oven baked.

It is porridge I detest, a cereal grain ... Horrid ...

Margi.

Last edited:
Hoot,

Manteca de Cerdo, a white looking shortening, is pure pork grease used in Spain and Italy to grease the roast for the oven for crispiness ... there is nothing that works better ... Cochinillo Asado is baby suckling piglet ( a little pink porker piglet ) that is prepared and world renowned in Segovia for its crisp skin and white juicy tender interior ...

However, to eat this or Crisco in a sandwich, no thank you ... each to his own.

Thanks for the odd funny anecdote ...
Margi.

In reply to the sour kraut and the lutefisk, using relatively normal foods make it somewhat more interesting, because it is luck of the draw. You might get something you don't mind at all, while the other person detests it. You actually get to pick one (it will be covered so you don't know what you're picking) and then pick who you want to go up against. Since its a family and friends situation, if you happen to know someone doesn't like what you picked you can use that to your advantage :) I like the boiled okra idea a little too much- if I'm still in the game for the 5th round I don't want to be stuck with that one!!!!! Lol!

We also ruled out lard because of the high fat/calorie content. It would just be too unhealthy to eat enough of it to make it worth having it in the game. Loving the ideas tho!

What is tripe?

Last edited:
In reply to the sour kraut and the lutefisk, using relatively normal foods make it somewhat more interesting, because it is luck of the draw.
Not sure if you mean that sauerkraut and lutefisk are relatively normal foods, or not. When I think MN, lutefisk does come to mind (there are still lutefisk dinners at the local Lutheran churches around Christmas time). I never ate okra until I started growing it in the garden, but I tried lutefisk once--that was enough for me. I do love sauerkraut, however. My grandmother ate lutefisk fairly often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom