"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
Head Chef

On a light-hearted note:

A police chief here in Spain was having trouble with moles digging tunnels in his lawn and leaving mounds of earth everywhere. His wife kept telling him to do something about it and in the end he decided he better had to keep the domestic peace.

So he goes into the station and calls his best two officers and tells them to go round to his house and deal with the moles. Top instructions were that he really wanted the moles to suffer like he had from his wife.

He goes home at lunchtime to find the officers hot and sweaty but looking pleased with themselves. He asks them did they find the moles.

"Yes sir, indeed we did sir."

"And did you make them suffer?"

"Yes sir, indeed we did sir."

"So what did you do with them, then?"

"We buried them alive, sir."

Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Put a stick of Juicy Fruit gum by the holes. I have a farmer friend who swears by this method.
lol, alix. strangely enough that farmer friend of yours absolutley loves juicy fruit. did he happen to tell you to do it just before dark (and he had a flashlight?)...

ronjohn told his neighbors to do the same for groundhogs, but the rodents in michigan love a good heffeweizen.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Everymom

LOL Buckytom! No, I'm serious here. The deal is that Juicy Fruit is sweet enough to attract the little critters, but when they chew and swallow the stuff it well...gums up the works. (Sorry about that) They love the stuff, but its deadly to them. And its a heck of a lot cheaper than buying commercial rodenticides. They use it on their ranch because the ground squirrel holes are absolutely deadly to the cows. Step in one of those and *snap* goes the leg and you just lost several thousand bucks worth of beef, or more if it was in calf.

OK, I realize its not a really humane sort of death, but it does work.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Head Chef

I have 3 dogs that work as a team to fix my squirrel problem. One chases it up the tree then grabs a branch that hangs down and shakes the whole tree. The other two dogs circle the tree and whichever dog is closer when it falls out gets the prize. A little morbid, but, it's amazing watching those 3 working so well together. So I guess my suggestion is to get your neighbors dog along with 2 more.LOL
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
DC's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN

I need a TNT remedy please.
Sizz,
You had the answer all the time!!

Just make sure the fuze on the TNT is long enough so you have time to clear the area before it blows.

You might call the Roadrunner. He can get you a good deal on Acme TNT.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Sizz,
You had the answer all the time!!

Just make sure the fuze on the TNT is long enough so you have time to clear the area before it blows.

You might call the Roadrunner. He can get you a good deal on Acme TNT.
.......geesh I have enough holes the way it is I don't need a crater to boot .

Well I'm going to try the juicy fruit idea first.....at 30 cents a pack it sounds the most reasonable . I'm ready for a resolution cause i'm scared my pup is going to get his leg down in one of those holes and hurt himself.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #17
Head Chef

Aunt Dot and Pacanis--relocating an animal seems kinder than killing it, but in most cases (according to wildlife researchers) relocating an animal is a death sentence.

In an unfamiliar area, they don't know the safe places to hide, and they don't know where the food is. It is also often illegal to relocate wild animals.

Here in Missouri, I can kill a raccoon if it is bothering my chickens, but hauling it off the to the woods is a game violation.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
Aunt Dot and Pacanis--relocating an animal seems kinder than killing it, but in most cases (according to wildlife researchers) relocating an animal is a death sentence.

In an unfamiliar area, they don't know the safe places to hide, and they don't know where the food is. It is also often illegal to relocate wild animals.

Here in Missouri, I can kill a raccoon if it is bothering my chickens, but hauling it off the to the woods is a game violation.
Interesting, sparrowgrass. Here in my neighborhood in northern Virginia we had a beaver problem. The county says it's illegal to kill nuisance animals (beavers, racoons, etc.) and the only thing you can do is take them elsewhere. We also had feral cats. The county lent the neighbors traps to catch them, but I don't know what happened to them after that. We don't have any around here anymore.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #19
Head Chef

Seasoned Flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 diced carrot
1 cup boiling water/stock
1 cup sliced mushrooms
4 large squirrels
Serve with pan gravy & rice
6 servings
(Recipe title: Potted squirrels)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 AM   #20
DC Grandma

Good idea stirblue...be sure to skin the little critters first.

When we were at Camp Lejeune N.C. Paul hunted for food..really! we ate many a squirrel, venison and fish. ( all out of necessity )

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote