"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Master Chef

Ground Squirrels....errr

Well my little friend the ground squirrel has reappeared....errr! Oh and I should mention the neighbors big galute for a dog decided he wanted to eat it so he dug a huge hole in my back yard trying to get to it....still ticked about that.

Has anyone dealt with these lil buggers before? How do I get rid of it? Its seriously digging too many holes in my yard.

I need a TNT remedy please.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I can't help but giggle at this visual. I am sorry you are dealing with this! Squirrels freak me out! So high-strung and opportunistic. I have been caught a few times by worried passers by while cursing because I am sure the little psychos will rise-up at any given moment. What does a ground squirrel do to be such a nuisance? We have tree squirrels here. The hyperactive chitter chattering is enough to drive me batty.

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Squirrels don't bother me. I like 'em. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for ya Sizz. I'm sure someone will though.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon in KS
I can't help but giggle at this visual. I am sorry you are dealing with this! Squirrels freak me out! So high-strung and opportunistic. I have been caught a few times by worried passers by while cursing because I am sure the little psychos will rise-up at any given moment. What does a ground squirrel do to be such a nuisance? We have tree squirrels here. The hyperactive chitter chattering is enough to drive me batty.
Then you'd of gotten a big kick of lil ole me out there trying to shoo away this dog that has nothing but space between it ears. Oh it drives me crazy when it gets loose. You try to shoo it away and it tilts its head and gives you this stupid look.... I could go on and on about this dog. I'm an animal lover but this one with it constant barking and desire to relieve himself in my yard and now digging holes....causes me to have bad thoughts about it....I'm ashamed to say.....will be so glad to get the fence up.
Yes the owner has been addressed and the police called but its like talking to thin air.

Ok..... back to the topic.........ground squirrels..........errrr!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Everymom

Put a stick of Juicy Fruit gum by the holes. I have a farmer friend who swears by this method.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Not quite clear - which one is digging the holes - squirrel or dog ?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

My parents had chipmunks at their old house. The little buggers would undermine their driveway and sidewalks. It was nothing to see half a dozen of them anytime I would visit. Scurrying up downspouts, hanging out on the patio.... everywhere. They tried every poison, trick and concoction known to man and Heloise. Nothing worked.
I don't recall them having this problem when I was a kid and our neighbors had a cat they would let roam.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

Could use a Have-A-Heart trap, they have them in many different sizes. We have one we have used for recoons in the attic. But they have them squirrel size.

After you trap them (as bait can use peanuts, or peanut butter or all kinds of stuff) take them a good number of miles away and let them go. The suckers can find their way back if you drop them a block or two away, and I have been told even a mile or more.

For other ideas go to a farmers' coop. Those folks generally know a whole lot about a bunch of things dealing with critters.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
After you trap them (as bait can use peanuts, or peanut butter or all kinds of stuff) take them a good number of miles away and let them go.
Ackk
Is that where all these raccoons have been coming from? Someone has been making them my problem.

Seriously, sometimes it's just better to follow "The Three S Rule", shoot, shovel and shutup. I read an article on rabies not too long ago concerning either Virginia or West VA... (I always get the two mixed up) and how a localized rabies problem became a statewide one. They were blaming relocated wildlife. Sometimes it's not in everyone's best interest to relocate a problem.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Head Chef

Those little ground squirrels don't bother me - I see them in the trees but I have no idea how to get rid of them.

Good luck.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote