"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Growing indoor food help

Hello,

I would like to grow some plants indoor for cooking.

The products from the local market are lousy. They are chemical-sprayed, scarred/rashed, contain pale patches, mushy, and expensive!

Not to mention the numberous hands that have touched it before I put it in the shopping bag!

I plan to grow something in my room. Yes, it has to be my room since its not my house. I rent, so this is the only place I can keep my stuff.

So, I plan to grow something indoors. Like tomatoes. Here is where I need some help: I am a newbie. :( Hopefully, some of you friendly fellows will help me out.

1. If I introduce a plant(s) into my room, would that invite critters? I don't want to things crawling up my bed!

2. Umm... Just water, light and fertiliser is all I need to nourish it?

3. Can I grow with fluorescent light? At night, I would leave the lights on for the plant(s).

The thing is, I work night shifts. So in the day time, I sleep with the blinds down.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Cook

This would be a fun challenge for you. I do this through the cold MI winters in my house. I like peppers, spices, garlic, ginger and tomatoes! I would invest in a good grow light though. I have one with a goose neck light that I can clamp onto anything and aim it where I want! I have a bird of paradise and pineapples from my son's graduation party three years ago still growing. I do have to mist them frequently as the furnace and fireplace take the moisture out of the air. I have tried water trays beneath but never saw much difference! I have never had unwanted crawlies inside the house. In fact I'm going to grow my tomatoes in the glasshouse next year as I cannot stand those tomato worms! Grow light, fertilizer, water and love will make them grow! Have fun and experiment. Will keep track of this thread and see how you are doing!

Old 10-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Head Chef

meow, i never thought about growing garlic inside...how's that work? i have several tomato plants and jalepeno pepper plants inside right now. everything is doing great - i have picked lots of tomatoes already! i LOVE garlic though and would like to try that, too. suggestions?

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Callie......I love fresh garlic and always have several bulbs around. When they are older and the cloves start growing through the outer skin I will break the clove off and stick it in dirt. It continues to grow. I plant the green growing side up! I have never grown bulbs that look like the store-bought, they are small but really pack a punch with the flavor. They look like onions growing! I also have used the green stalks in cooking, kind of the same flavor but milder. I use one of those long plastic planters for porches and such, prolly 8 inches deep and it seems to do fine. I just love growing things! When I buy ginger root I look for one with lots of buds and cut them in sections and plant them the same way. They are really an exotic looking plant! I started doing this a while back because I didn't want to waste or for them to rot. Google "growing garlic" and see what comes up! Have fun.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Head Chef

Thanks so much for the info, meow! I've got one of those planters...I don't think it's quite that deep. I'm gonna give it a try!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:45 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Um... what tomato worms!? I really don't like pests.

How tall does a tomato plant grow to?

Also, something just came to mind. I heard having a plant in the room is bad because at night (or dark), the plant uses oxygen, and during the day it converts carbon dioxide to oxygen. Is it going to be a big problem!? I don't want to die with a blue face as my tomatoes live with a red face.

EDIT: How tall can a green and red pepper plant grow up to?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Anticochos.....Tomato worms are 3 to 4 inches long when mature and about 3/4 inch around. They are the larva of the sphinx moth. They eat the leaves of the plants. I have always had them when the plants are in the garden. I don't spray pesticides as my 6 cats are always out in the garden with me. I've had heirloom tomatoes in a very large pot grow 9 feet tall. Had to tie them up! The larger the pot, the larger the plant. You want to try and fool the plant into believing that it is growing in mother earth and has enough room for a good root system. I had to hand pollinate them as there were no bees and such around. I've never heard about plants being lethal as far as oxygen intake. I had 92 indoor plants last winter, the kids were home for the holidays and said it looked like a jungle. I just can't refuse those plants at the store that are dying, I buy them at half price and bring them home to nurse them back to health! Just google search tomato worm and see what comes up. Before you destroy the worm make sure it is a tomato worm and not the luna moth larva. Where do you live? Here in Michigan if one plants tomatoes the worms are a given! yuk!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I live about the same latitude as Michigan. It's autumn now for me, the price of live-food is starting to increase.

Another reason why I might think about growing my own food indoors as winter is coming and the price of live-food will be more expensive.

When you say your tomatoes always comes with these tomato hornworms, you mean in the garden, right?

Does this tomato hornworm survive indoors? Where does it even come from!? Moths laying eggs on the leaves? If so, what are the chances of me getting one indoors?

Any other critters that might crawl around my plants and have a chance of making its way to the bed of my clothes?

9 feet tall!!!? Is this one of those exaggerating that farmers do all the time!? :p

If not, how can I keep it around 3 or 4 feet tall and still have great tomatoes? My lamp does reach that high.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Anticuchos....The worms are an outside garden thing! I guess it's the moth laying eggs....I really don't know. I cut back the tomatoes to 5 feet tall and pollinated them with a small paintbrush. When the blossoms appeared I touched the center of each one with the paintbrush and kept spreading the pollen around. I read that somewhere. It did work. I also knew someone that owned a greenhouse and he would use a leaf blower to spread the pollen, he suggested that I use a blow dryer as my room is smaller. It seemed kinda rough to blow the plants with a dryer so I used the paint brush method. If you have time, do a google search for container gardening, the sites have a lot of info. I'm still basically learning but do enjoy the challenge. We are supposed to be in the Fall mode too but today was high 80's and humid! I want Fall, crunching leaves when I walk and the smell of winter approaching! I like your name, Anti=against and cuchos=?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:20 AM   #10
Senior Cook

You can try growing mushrooms from one of those kits. They don't need light so you could grow them in a closet if you wanted to. You'll just have to get over having a big hunk of rotting wood with fungus growing all over it next to your clothes!

« kadesma | Luvs..... »