Grown up books for a 10 yr old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't looked these all over. It's Oprah Winfrey's reading list for children, different ages. She usually has pretty good rec's for adults.

Kids' Reading List - Oprah.com

I know when I was a kid, I was a fast reader. Caitlen may go through what you find faster than you know, so it's good to be prepared. My o-so Very Conservative parents let me choose whatever I wanted, no holds barred. Libraries may have been more rigid/ discerning about what they stocked, there were some things I probably was not prepared to read as a youngster, and would not have met parental approval, even then. O well, I am still alive now can talk about it without going into detail. It's the little details that seem to stick around in the back of my head, and refresh today, as I think about children's reading material. We also allowed Jr. to choose his own library books or whatever he brought home. A good practice I think overall. What do they find interesting, I can not say and if I did, it would be too much like another school reading assignment rather than building for their own enrichment.

I think Star Wars have books too, maybe different than the movies.

oh, snippers, i know these books were written primarily for boys, but i found myself engrossed reading rick riordan's percy jackson series! i think there are seven in the series, but riordan is the author of some two dozen books altogether. and, having fallen head over heels for a book, don't we just love those prolific authors? riordan's writing is very youth-current and edgy, and chock full of mythology, Yum!!

oh, snippers, i know these books were written primarily for boys, but i found myself engrossed reading rick riordan's percy jackson series! i think there are seven in the series, but riordan is the author of some two dozen books altogether. and, having fallen head over heels for a book, don't we just love those prolific authors? riordan's writing is very youth-current and edgy, and chock full of mythology, Yum!!

I'm sure she will :) I'm on my way to the library now. Caitlin started reading before she started school so I must really start wrting down what she's read. I'm starting to lose track :LOL:
I have the same problem, I've often started a book and only noticed halfway that I've read it :rolleyes:

Another vote for the Judy Blume books. How about Little Women and Little Men? If you go to goodreads.com there is a plethora of ideas for young and old alike. Good for Caitlyn and her great reading habits! Reading is one of the most joyful things I have ever experienced, I always try to encourage reading.

When I was in the forth grade I read "My Friend Flicka" and the sequel "Thunderhead." Those two books started me on a lifetime of reading. When I got to H.S. I drove the librarian crazy because I managed to read every fictional book the school had in the library. she had to call other schools in the city to find more books for me. Then when I was out of school, I was constantly in the public library. Because I read to my children and they saw me reading all the time, they too are avid readers. I have reread those first two books several times again. I have even given them as a gift to a son of one of my friends.

If a child is a good reader, they will have no problem with the rest of their school subjects. Good job Snip. I am glad to hear that your daughter loves to read. :angel:

My son loved The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques at that age.

Edit: Wow, didn't realize there were so many in the series now. I think I remember the titles up to book six as ones he read for sure. ;)

Last edited:
Both my boys learned to read fairly early. I have memories of my first son and I stretched out on the couch when he was just a few months old. Whatever book I was reading at the time, I'd just read it out loud to him in addition to the usual baby books. He's my ADHD child so reading is difficult (he can't sit still that long no matter how engaging the story) so he does audio books. It was really sad to see my other son's 3rd grade class reading Little Golden books while he's reading "A Wrinkle in Time." He's even gotten me reading some books I would not have chosen myself but did enjoy. We can have good talks about the books after we've both read them. Great way to stay connected.

Both my boys learned to read fairly early. I have memories of my first son and I stretched out on the couch when he was just a few months old. Whatever book I was reading at the time, I'd just read it out loud to him in addition to the usual baby books. He's my ADHD child so reading is difficult (he can't sit still that long no matter how engaging the story) so he does audio books. It was really sad to see my other son's 3rd grade class reading Little Golden books while he's reading "A Wrinkle in Time." He's even gotten me reading some books I would not have chosen myself but did enjoy. We can have good talks about the books after we've both read them. Great way to stay connected.

My kids both love books. I've read to them since birth and books are very important in our home. Caitlin now reads to her brother most nights. She loves doing it for him. Daniel can't read yet, he's 5 but also has ADHD. He memorises the books when Caty reads. Very clever but has trouble concentrating.
Caitlin started reading when she was 4. She's above average, always has been. Hope she puts it to good use one day :LOL:
I'm very proud of both my children. Clever, gorgeous and damn near perfect.
I'm too scared to have more, what are the odds of getting another perfect child ;)

Last edited:
I'm very proud of both my children. Clever, gorgeous and damn near perfect.
I'm too scared to have more, what are the odds of getting another perfect child ;)

I'd say pretty even odds when the parents are clever, gorgeous and damn near perfect themselves!;)

Back
Top Bottom