Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wooden incense burner, but you said it`s nothing to do with smoke or fire starting.
is it for making Paint from minerals?
and then maybe to use it as a type of Roller brush/wheel for body art?

OR, how a gunpowder dispenser, for laying a line of black powder in a trail along paper to make Quickmatch fuse, probably Chinese idea/origin.

YT - it doesn't really 'dispense' anything and it is a very simple tool that has one function. It is Asian in origin, but not Chinese.

or is it for Line marking?

you pull a string through the charcoal, pull the string tight between 2 points and close to a surface, then you "Twang" the string and the charcoal comes off leaving a line.

edit: nevermind I think that`s what Expat meant before me.

expatgirl's got it. I did not make this tool - had it a long time and I do use it. It's a Japanese marking tool used like a chalk line. The black in the middle is an ink soaked piece of raw wool and the line is a fine thread of silk. The handle on the left is actually a pin attached to the silk thread. The thread goes through the ink as it is pulled out and - YT's right - TWANG and you have a straight, very fine line. Called a Sumitubo - Your turn expatgirl!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I am totally speechless----I was pulling rabbits out of the hat when I posted that guess---I just remembered my hubby doing this when we were first married and impressed with the line that it made. But it looked NOTHING like yours, Featherblu. It made a blue line but it was already chalked before it came out of the measuring tape. Give me a day or two before I can find a picture that you all can guess in 5 secs. :) Thanks for the high fives!

You guys and gals can play with this for the time being.......

img_488297_0_59b16a6eeb04cdf658fdbcda3c325139.jpg

Back
Top Bottom