Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Bremen Town Musicians
A Fairy Tale from the Brothers Grimm. Wilhelm & Jacob Grimm

This Art sits in a Town called Hanau, Germany I Beleive.
w_bio.jpg
e remember Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm for something they hadn't planned on becoming: storytellers for children. The Brothers Grimm saw themselves as scholars and patriots bent on preserving their Germanic culture as Napoleon strode across Europe.

Jacob Grimm is born in Hanau, a market town in one of the small polities that made up what is now Germany.

jacob_wilhelm.jpg
</IMG>
Wilhelm (seated)
and Jacob Grimm

Image courtesy of Hulton
Getty/Liaison Agency
spacer.gif
Wilhelm Grimm is born, also in Hanau.

The Grimms' father dies, leaving the family in financial distress. An aunt pays for Jacob and Wilhelm to attend a prestigious school in Kassel.

Jacob graduates and moves to Marburg to study law.

Wilhelm graduates and joins Jacob in Marburg.

Jacob drops out of law school, moves back to Kassel, and becomes a civil servant to support the family. To help a writer friend, who hopes to publish a folklore collection, Jacob and Wilhelm begin gathering tales in their spare time.

France invades Kassel.

Wilhelm undergoes treatment for heart troubles.

Impatient with their sluggish friend, the Brothers Grimm, as they style themselves, publish Children's and Household Tales.

France is rousted from central Europe by nations opposing Napolean. Jacob becomes a diplomat, Wilhelm a secretary to the royal librarian in Kassel.

The Grimms publish the second edition of their Tales. Wilhelm emerges as keeper of the stories, while Jacob turns to other scholarly pursuits.

The Grimms' Small Edition (50 tales with illustrations by a third brother, Ludwig) achieves mild commercial success. Wilhelm marries Dortchen Wild. They eventually have three sons.

After Jacob is passed over for a position at the library in Kassel, the Grimms move to Göttingen, where both brothers become librarian-professors.

After refusing to swear allegiance to the king of Hanover, whom they consider despotic, the Grimms lose their jobs and return to Kassel.

The Grimms move to Berlin and resume teaching.

Jacob publishes The History of the German Language, then retires.

Wilhelm retires. Both brothers devote their remaining years to compiling a German dictionary.

The Grimms publish the final edition of their fairy-tale collection.

Wilhelm dies. Jacob eulogizes him as the "fairy-tale brother."

Jacob dies. By the time of their deaths the Brothers Grimm have won respect as leading scholars.

Attachments

• The Bremen Town Musicians By Wilhelm Grimm.jpg
    The Bremen Town Musicians By Wilhelm Grimm.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 519
IshbelQuote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
OK Ishbel, try to stump us!

Nope, I'm sure you're all far too smart to let me do that! :)

No we're not Ishbel, Trust Us !!! :ohmy: :-p :LOL:

Last edited:
all of these have been far too easy. that's kilimanjaro.

give me a few minutes for a good pic. unfortunately, i have to work.

Was going to say Cedar Rapids but it's Eldon, Iowa.

Saw this when I was young at the Cedar Rapids Art Center, where they still have many original Grant Woods. I saw it a few weeks ago at the Art Institute of Chicago, where it lives now.

darn, i knew i shoulda put some peanut butter and seeds on it, just so the canadians wouldn't recognize it.

a pine cone it is.

Whoops! Sorry I forgot to post something before I went grocery shopping. Here's an easy one. Hmmmm...won't let me post it. Give me a minute

473,1111468071,9.jpg

Alix said:
Whoops! Sorry I forgot to post something before I went grocery shopping. Here's an easy one. Hmmmm...won't let me post it. Give me a minute

473,1111468071,9.jpg

My shoulder after wiping out on my bike at Panorama?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom