Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. The object is solid. Nothing can pass through it and it's not used to pump anything up.

No. Not a locating pin.

Time for a hint:
Both of the brass pieces are used to push something

I know this can't be it because I cannot find any pictures that support it, but does it have anything to do with guns (ie., percussion caps, etc.).

Percussion is stuck in my brain and it won't let go! I could only think of ear drums and percussion caps after the last clues, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone to push that into my ear!

:)Barbara

It most definitely has to do with guns.....
That should narrow your searches.

It's used to load a muzzle loader. The stick end pushes to load into the barrel and the other end applys/presses the percussion cap into place.

It's used to load a muzzle loader. The stick end pushes to load into the barrel and the other end applys/presses the percussion cap into place.

Sounds like you still didn't find it..... but I'll give it to you because you're pretty darn close ;)
Yes, it is used to help load a muzzleloader. Any muzzleloader, not just persussion caps. If you seated the cap with anything but your fingers, you'd probably set it off :LOL:

When you set the ball (bullet) on top of the patch and on top of the muzzle, you rest the short brass piece that's on the round part on top of the ball and give it a rap with your hand to get the ball started down the barrel. Then you use the longer end to seat it even further, which makes finishing it off with the ramrod easier. Of course they couldn't be bothered with all that if they were in a hurry :rolleyes:

Muzzleloading Ramrods & Short Starters - Supplied By The Possible Shop, Headquarters For Your Muzzleloading & Cowboy Action Supplies

Oh, you're up!

how old is this gun????????

How old are muzzleloaders? They go back a ways, as they were the first guns. I don't think ball starters are that old though. Seems like a modern invention to me to make life easier for the muzzleloader enthusiasts. That's just a guess though.

Back
Top Bottom