Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buck, I was thinking more along the lines of they are/were used to pounce silver or other metallic objects--that is to transfer decorative motifs onto cups, plates, etc., The bigger the object or motif the bigger the tool end. But after seeing the recent guesses I don't think that was what you had in mind.

Can these items be found online?
Are they used in sand casting?
Are they adjustable Q-tips for the Tinman?

expat. Right. Not what I had in mind.

pacanis,

Yes. I got this picture online.

Yes, but not directly. Something has to happen to make the sand casting mold. The object in the photo has something to do with that process.

Ha ha ha ha.

I went through 409,563 pattern making sites, too :LOL: Couldn't find any :(
I did find though that you can get to the same site no matter how many different ways you start the search :mad:

OK, are they tools that are inserted in a hole to clean it out after they are pulled out? Don't know why they would have to be ball shaped though... a disc would work.

Edited, I should have said inserted into a hole before the pattern is poured.

Last edited:
We admire your tenacity, grasshopper.

This tool has nothing to do with holes.

It has everything to do with relieving stress at 90 degree joints.

Your cup of knowledge runs shallow.

We hope this hint will fill it up.

It is used to create fillets in a wax pattern?

Ahhhh, yes! I don't know why I didn't run into these tools before, but the operative word "fillet" was missing from my searches.

Last edited:
Excellent work pacanis!!!!!

You win the prize.

It is a filleting iron used to create fillets at 90 degree joints on patterns used to make sand molds for the foundry.

Congratulations. You're up.

Hey pacanis, can I make a request? There are several of us who like to participate here but are finding the "gadget" theme pretty tough. Would you consider doing something else? Anything else? Geography, monuments, anything.

That was a rough one, Buck. I must have ran across every tool BUT those :(

Alix, I had already taken and uploaded this pic in anticipation, but it's an easy one (basically, at least I think so) and not a gadget. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with geography either, which is a subject I always hated :LOL:.
If I ever win another one I will try to lean towards a different theme :).

OK, here goes.......

What is this?

cookinggame2.jpg

No, it is not used to strike anything, nor does anything strike it.
I liked your guess, though.

Back
Top Bottom