Guess Who Is Fat and Won't Admit It? - Discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
What are your thoughts? Want to Discuss?

At first, I agreed that men are less concerned or in denial about being overweight than women. IMHO, when women gain five pounds, they are more self-conscious about it & will address it right away - or just feel badly about themselves. Seems that I hear/read more about women having eating disorders, than I do men.

On the other hand, while in a strip mall one day, I observed dozens of men going into Gold's Gym - all body builder-type looking men - huge muscles & washboard abs. (Sorry girls, couldn't help noticing :) ). Noticed a few women, but mostly men. I knew one gal (early 50's) that spent at least 3 hours a day at the gym every day. She was so obsessed with her looks & age, she whited-out her date of birth on her driver's license & put in a younger year.

So, what do you think?

Guess Who Is Fat and Won't Admit It?

The answer: Men. Fully 25 percent of men are in denial about their weight problem, reports Reuters of a new survey conducted by Cancer Research UK. The overall number of overweight and obese people in the United Kingdom is similar to the United States with some 65 percent of men tipping the scales too high for their good health. But even so, a quarter of them refuse to admit they need to lose weight.

While it's easy to smile at the thought of men refusing to admit they're fat, what's not amusing is that 65 percent of those polled had no clue that being overweight is a risk factor for cancer. "In men who don't smoke, obesity is one of the biggest known causes of preventable cancer," Lesley Walker of Cancer Research UK told Reuters. Obesity is also linked to a higher risk for type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, heart disease, strokes and certain cancers. Amazingly, a whopping 75 percent of those polled in this British survey had no idea of the benefits of exercise.

It's important to note that men are not the only ones who are overweight. "Women are overweight too, but our research shows that more of them know they have a problem and that's the first step in putting it right," Jane Wardle of Cancer Research UK told Reuters.

How do we get fat? In most cases it's pretty simple and preventable. We eat too much unhealthy food and we don't exercise.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I can't say I am surprised though. IMHO it seems that most people look for a quick fix to being overweight; forgetting how long it took them in the first place to get to where they are right now. There is really only one healthy way to lose weight and that is to eat well, but burn more calories than you take in. Simple, effective, and it doesn't mess with your kidneys or liver enzymes.

Having said all that, I have to say that I also believe women are sometimes oddly fixated on their body image to the detriment of their health. You can be somewhat overweight and still be in excellent health. Some women also have grossly skewed ideas of what "overweight" looks like.

Again folks, all this is JUST MY OPINION.

Also - just a personal observation about weight/dieting women vs men -- All the tv commercials (I've noticed) for weight loss programs i.e. Jenny Craig - are all women. Think we've all seen the commercials for Fat Actress. I've never seen one for Fat Actor.

I suppose women worry over their weight more. Many men seem to think if they were the same size waist (no matter how much further down it is) they are ok. I'm thinking about joining the Y and take exercise classes. A couple of my friends have really done well with that.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
PERVERT!!! :glare:

Don't make come over there :LOL:. Maybe I should explain. A strip mall (for lack of a better description), is a very small outdoor mall on the street with lots of various little stores side by side. Hope that makes sense.

Now, I wanna see all you guys throwing out those Hawaiian shirts (unless you live in Hawaii). j/k

kitchenelf said:
mish - did you really fall into his little web????:LOL:

Nah, I just play along with it :LOL:

BTW, that's "Ms. Goober Doodle Chicken Pervert" to you. :-p

MISH! You are going to be responsible for a new keyboard at this rate! I keep spewing tea when I read your posts!

Alix said:
MISH! You are going to be responsible for a new keyboard at this rate! I keep spewing tea when I read your posts!

Forget the keyboard! Girls I'm going over to Gold's Gym to hang out in the parking lot. Wanna join me? :LOL:

Ladies Please......
13.gif

I'm about 30kgs heavier than I should be, but I'm happy...... My body picked my weight.

Should be between 85 - 93 kgs according to the weight charts.
Got to 90 kgs once and nearly blew away in the breeze. :LOL:

I agree that men are more likely to look the other way when it comes to their own shortfalls. Then they discover it (for whatever reason, for hubby it is diabetes, but for many middle-aged-men it is a hot tootsie or looking great in a sports car), and, well, it is easier for men to lose weight than for women, once they set their minds on it. For a menopausal woman, less food + more exercise = lots more misery, but very little weight loss. For a man of the same age, who hasn't exercised for years, sometimes the results are dramatic and super, and they just don't understand why their wife isn't "keeping up". Oh, dearie me. Age old story. Whenever hubby and I get in that quandry, I turn the cooking totally over to him and eat absolutely nothing but what he cooks. HE gets discouraged at the fact that he's losing weight and I'm ... well, to use a weird term, turtling. I'll lose five pounds to his 15, and while he'll slow down on weight loss, i'll stay stable at those five pounds, or gain whenever I give in to a dinner out. So I've simply given up, and my weight lowered a bit, then stablized. I work out quite a bit, consistently over the 25 years we've been together (he goes in spurts -- will be religious about it for awhile, then won't get of the couch for a year. in the past 30 years I've always worked out a minimum of twice a week, and walk wherever I possibly can).

What I'm getting at is that it'll never be fair, so give up that idea. I'm lucky in that, for some reason hubby and I both like good food (eat too much, but it's good food. not garbage) and no matter what, seem to balance out at within 10 lbs of each other (I'm an inch taller than he, and am much larger in frame -- much wider shoulders, etc). SO it doesn't become too much of an issue. But, yes, men do manage to have a healthier self-portrait of themselves. In my experience, a woman who is right on target on the health height/weight charts will tell you she needs to lose 20 lbs, and point out all her own figure faults, whereas most men I know who are 50 lbs overweight, doing the stupid cue-ball cover up, or the modern equivalent, the balding man with a silly scrawny poney-tail, will see something in the mirror that looks just great to them. Go Figure.

Taking this from a joke I heard this week....maybe that's why women walk past a man on the way to the shower and pulls her bathrobe tighter around her. He walks past her naked on the way to the shower...shakes something and says woo woo!

Back
Top Bottom