Gustatory athlete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i was just listening to espn radio, a sports radio station, and they were advertising the 4th of july nathan's hot dog eating contest at coney island.

i was shocked when they mentioned that you could cheer on your favourite "gustatory athlete". :ermm:

are they kidding? is being able to chew and swallow an athletic cometition now?

omg! what have we become when gluttony is considered a sport?

it made me think of other "sports" in which i've debated with friends about what is considered a sport, what is a challenge of skill, and what is simply a competition.

do you think eating is a sport?

what about darts, bowling, golf, pool (billiards), archery, or nascar? maybe others like curling, bacci, or shuffleboard?

i'm interested in lots of opinions as this has been a running debate between my buds and i.

whaddya think?

Last edited:
OK, for the record, curling IS a sport. Try it. Whapping that broom around is hard work. As is fishing. Eating hot dogs or anything else is NOT a sport.

Last edited:
I have to agree. I don't consider forcing huge quantities of food down your throat quickly a sport. Actually, it's a turn off for me.

lol, steve. i remembered poker after posting.

why is it on a sports network? i have no idea. picking up a few pieces of laminated paper and calculating odds is a sport, i guezz. :wacko:

I want to know why WWE & WWF is on the SciFi channel...it's Science Fiction, not Stupid Fiction.

First let me say I hate poker on TV, let alone a "sports network".
But that said, I think anything done in competition is sporting, so I guess competing against others in an eating contest is a sport. And while I think of fishing as more of an activity or hobby, if you are competing against a bunch of others in a fishing contest it becomes a sport, or trying to get the world record Marlin, as in "sport" fishing.
Simply eating and swallowing... no, that's not a sport, nor is gluttony for gluttony's sake, but as soon as there is competition and rules to follow with a prize at the end, then it becomes a sport... to someone anyway.

Competitive gluttony is definitely not a sport.

Every time I see it done it disgusts me thinking of all the people who are hungry in the world and what a shameful commentary it is on our wasteful and perverted culture.

Last edited:
I don't think people who have put themselves in a position to partake in strange doings such as seeing how many blueberry pies they can eat at the state fair, or how many hot dogs they can stuff in their face, should be held accountable for the world's starving anymore than people who take vacations should donate that money instead to the homeless.

I see your point Pac, and I didn't mean to suggest that people who stuff themselves should be held accountable for people starving. My simple point is the insensitivity of making a "sport" of gluttony.

I agree. I don't mind hearing about the world record for hot dog eating, but it shouldn't make the news and be promoted the way it is.
But that's the world we live in. We are forced to wear safety belts when driving, yet someone can tight rope walk across the Grand Canyon without a safety harness :wacko:

I am interested in his next stunt from the Chrysler building to the Empire state building in New York City!

Maybe we can get him to do it while eating hot dogs! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I can't even imagine doing these things!

and what about the poor guys that string the cable, amazing!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom