"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Gillette Fusion are great! I've used Gillette, ever since i stared to shave. I found the Fusion to give a really close shave. Although as mentioned earlier, the cost a fortune! Sadly though there just dosen't seem to be any other blades available that can give such a smooth finish!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rococo View Post
Sadly though there just dosen't seem to be any other blades available that can give such a smooth finish!
Have you tried a safety razor? The blades are dirt cheap compared to the cartridge blades and I am finding that with time and patience I am getting a much closer shave then I ever did with my Fusion or any other similar razor. There is definitely more to it than just running the blade over your face so you do have to concentrate (blade angle is very important), but the closeness is unparalleled if done right. When I have done it right then I can run my fingers against the grain on my sideburns and not feel a thing. I never got that close with my Fusion. The Fusion did a really good job, but just could not get as close as my safety razor is getting.

Tomorrow my shaving brush and cream should arrive. It is perfect timing too as I think the cream part of the process will add even more time to my shave. I will get it tomorrow and Sat, when I have as much time as I need, I can try it out and see what kind of difference that makes.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Here is a very interesting read for anyone looking for more info on the wet shave.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I have tried a safty razor once, I just remember if felt like someone was epilating my face. Don't ask how i know how that feels.

I've always wanted to get shaved in a shop, although i'm a bit worried they'd lop my head off! I know it's stupid but i just couldn't let a stranger that close to my throat with a blade!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

I feel the same way rococo. I have always wanted to try that, but I do not trust anyone enough to get that close to my neck with an open blade.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Oh Gb maybe you can tell me, how crude can i be with jokes? Is swearing exceptable or not?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Head Chef

I haven't really found that 5 blades is better than two. Back in ancient history, my first shave was with a Gillette Atra, and the handle lasted more than 20 years!
We had a bad drought 2 years ago, so I switched to my Dad's Norelco electric to save water. It does OK, and is convenient, but takes a lot longer than a blade.

I think blades do a better job, but will probably stick with an electric. I want to buy a good one, but don't want to shell out $100+ bucks. I am a tightwad, LOL

As for straight razors or safety blades... I dont trust self enough to try them. Nicks and slices hurt! haha

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rococo View Post
Oh Gb maybe you can tell me, how crude can i be with jokes? Is swearing exceptable or not?
Nope no swearing. We keep things PG here. But feel free to PM people things that are not PG as long as you know they don't mind.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

okidoke, good to know thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #20
Mr. Greenjeans

I use red palm oil. Its so red that when I cut myself I cannot tell.