Guys - How do you shave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the cartridge blades, but the best shaves I've ever gotten were from an old school barber with a straight razor. I miss those days :(
A good barber is worth having.

I just finished my first shave with a badger hair brush, old fashioned shave cream, and a safty razor. I actually enjoyed shaving this morning. It took me much longer than usual (about 20 minutes) but it is Sat so I had the time to do it. Taking that much time was actually nice. I was able to relax and have some time to myself.

The shave cream was amazingly different from the stuff in the can which I now think should be called shaving foam. There is nothing creamy about the canned stuff. I used a cream from a company called Proraso (I think). It comes in a tube like toothpaste. It produces a lather that is truely creamy and thick.

I bought and inexpensive badger hair brush. This was the weak link in my shave, but it was not bad. I think this is a case where you get what you pay for (up to a point). Eventually I will invest in a better brush, but for now thus will work. I paid $15 for this one, but I have seen brushes for as much as $800. I think a $40 brush will be fine for me. My brush made a decent lather, but it was a little scratchy, but not much. As I get my technique down I will be able to get a better lather I am sure.

My razon glided over my skin with with next to no friction. Had I not heard the whiskers being cut I never would have believed it was happening. I lathered and shaved three times which fon my reading is normal. On many things I have read they all say the goal is beard reduction not elimination. After my third pass I washed up and applied after shave lotion. When I felt my beard it was the closest shave I had ever gotten. There were a few spots I could have done better, but they are no worse then a regular shave with my fusion.

A major plus is that my wife LOVED the smell. The cream really does smell great. The tube cost about $10, but a little goes a long way. The tube is about 1.5 times the size of a toothpaste tube and you use a dollop about the size of an almond so it will last a long time.

I think with practice I can get my shave down to 10 minutes. Until I do I will reserve this method for the weekends. The whole think really did feel luxorious from the slow relaxed pace to the physical feeling to the smell. I highly recommend trying this if it sounds interesting to you.

Glad you enjoyed the experience, GB. I've always viewed it as a chore and try to get through it ASAP.

That is how I have always viewed it too Andy. I would almost never shave on the weekends as I could not stand doing it. I have a heavy dark beard too which grows very fast so even after one day I have a lot to shave. I did not care though as I hated shaving that much so unless we were going somewhere that I needed to look good I would go without. Now I am looking forward to shaving tomorrow morning.

I shave my head and face. The head is the hard part as its curved and I cannot look at it in the mirror as I do not have eyes in the back of my head. I tried nair and burned my scalp! I use a curving safety razor and bar soap in the shower.

Interesting update...Normally, I need to shave every single day if I want to look clean shaven. Today is the first day in my adult life that I would be able to get away without shaving, but looking like I did. My shave from yesterday was so close that today my beard is about as close as if I had just shaved with my fusion. I am going to shave again today, just because it was so enjoyable yesterday, but during the week when I am in more of a rush it will be great to not have to shave every single morning.

As I was staring into the mirror while shaving the other day I wondered how has this been working out for you?

I am extremely pleased with my new shaving routine. Once I realized I would be shaving like this, at least for a while, I decided to splurge and get myself a better brush. It has made a big difference in the enjoyability of the process. There was nothing wrong with my first brush, but my new brush is luxurious and feels great.

I have gotten my technique down and have started shaving in the shower again as I used to. I did not think I would be able to do that shaving this way, but I was wrong. The time it takes me to shave is down significantly too. From start to finish it is probably no more than 5 or 6 minutes.

I change blades a lot more frequently than I used to when using cartridge razors, but at about 5 cents or so per blade I am not worried about it. I have made it a habit of using a new blade every Monday.

I use a Rolls Razor. The CIA should check this device out. They may decide it's a worthy successor to water boarding especially if used without lather. Brushes last longer if they're hung upside down to dry. I have a silver tip Muhle patiently waiting in my medicine cabinet but I'm reluctant to put it into service until my Chinese made, 20 year old, drugstore-chain brush wears out.

DH uses both an electric razor and a disposable razor. He only shaves his face with the Schick (they're green and black) disposable ones and throws them away when he feels the razor pulling the hair before it actually cuts. He always shaves in the shower, makes sure the water is hot and lets the water sit there to get the hairs and folicules soft. He only shaves his neck with the electric razor because if he uses the other one, he breaks out like crazy and it's very painful. He does not use shaving cream as sometimes that makes him break out so he just uses soap. Kills two birds with one stone!! :)

Why can't I edit my last post? The button for it is not there...
Well I just wanted to add that DH also shaves every three or four days. Anything shorter than that makes his face turn red...not break out, just turn red.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom