Ha! Genetic throw down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I grew up with everything covered with white (snowblindness--orange jello with bananas covered with whipped cream, scalloped carrots, scalloped potatoes, etc.). I just realized that my LEAST favorite recipes are those that have a beachamel sauce. And I definitely don't want my veggies covered with white sauce <g>. But, my comfort foods still are those covered with white sauce (Janssen's Temptation, for example).

Has anyone else realized that they've done a complete turn around from the foods they ate growing up?

Last edited:
As a child I had a VIOLENT dislike for butternut squash. I could not eat it without bringing it back up.

Now I love the stuff. My favorite kind of squash.

Veggies were awful when I was a kid. Iceberg lettuce, carrots, celery and onions were the only fresh ones around most of the year, and everything else came out of a can.

Once I moved out, started gardening and cooking on my own--can't get enough of most veggies.

i don't eat many of the dishes from my childhood. my dad always had a big garden so we ate lots and many kinds of veggies. don't eat all the greens , ie turnip or chard, etc. to lazy i guess. the ones in the market are certainly not what i remember. of course corn, squash, okra, tomatoes , sweet potatoes. as for protein we had a lot of fish and chicken before it was the rage. hardly ever had fresh fish, just the frozen blocks of cod, etc. i eat a lot of fish, these days. we almost always had fruit for dessert. not so much now. my dad was ahead of his time in healthy eating. still try to do that.

I hated fish. I would run from the room if I saw it on the table. So much so, that I still remember one time, when I was quite young, I was eating some battered fish and the piece of fish came out of the batter and there was a bit of gray with shiny skin. I was mortified. Screamed and ran from the room. Next time we ate fish, my parents told me we were having "Water Chicken" for supper. I have never had a problem since.:LOL:

Last edited:
I could, as a kid, projectile vomit if any of my different foods even touched each other. Parents were so proud...In college I tended bar at a Mexican restaurant, and on my breaks enjoyed a combo of chips, cheese, guac, and salsa on a plate all mixed together. It was described as looking like, well, you know. Now, I still mix things up, especially with salads and casseroles.

Last edited:
Hard to believe, but I didn't like cheesecake as a kid. What was wrong with me??? ;)

Yep, the list includes broccoli, black olives, pickled herring, fried chicken livers, pea soup, cooked carrots, green/yellow beans, fish, anchoives...and probably more that I can't think of right now.

I loved ketchup as a kid ate it on everything. It makes it on to almost nothing now.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I loved ketchup as a kid ate it on everything. It makes it on to almost nothing now.

Huh. Ketchup is one of the major food groups, along with chocolate and rhubarb! :)

Way back yonder, when I was a young'un, I detested rutabagas, turnips, liver, watermelon and likely, a host of other things that my poor ol' brain can't recall.
Luckily, I grew out of it....I still ain't a big fan of watermelon, but I reckon that is what happens when you pick them things for the truck farmer down the road for 7 summers.

I hated fish. I would run from the room if I saw it on the table. So much so, that I still remember one time, when I was quite young, I was eating some battered fish and the piece of fish came out of the batter and there was a bit of gray with shiny skin. I was mortified. Screamed and ran from the room. Next time we ate fish, my parents told me we were having "Water Chicken" for supper. I have never had a problem since.:LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Water Chicken!
I like your parents.

Back
Top Bottom