Half a sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not being the devil's advocate or anything :devilish: but if you dug a hole and you buried a bag of garbage in it, could you bury half a bag of garbage in half a hole? How would you dig half a hole? With half a shovel? And if you dig holes fast, would it be twice as fast to dig half a hole? Or would it be half fast? Would half a hole be half as deep, half as wide or half as big? And what if you dug a hole twice as big? Would it then be two holes? What if you dug a whole hole, and then you dug it deeper or wider or bigger? Would it be anything different than the hole you started with? (I mean, in terms of holeness.)

So by the same logic if you can take two pieces of bread and some filling and make one sandwich, or take two half pieces of bread and some filling and what you make is still one sandwich, then you should be able to take a whole loaf of bread and some filling and what you make is still a sandwich, right?

Maybe we need a new word for sandwich: perhaps sandwichii or sandwicheaux.

For example, if you have some water and you double it, you still have some water. You don't have two waters. Nobody has half a trousers. Have you ever seen a plier? Or a scissor? (While we're on this subject, if the plural of mouse is mice, what's the plural of mice? And if two mouses are mice, then why aren't two mooses meese?) To complicate things further, if you order a computer mouse and then decide to double your order, it's two computer mouses, not two computer mice. I'm glad there's no such thing as a computer goose. We'd have a literary crisis wondering what to call more than one of them.

After thinking it over I've decided that 40 is right. Not about making a sandwich though. I think he's spotted a basic flaw in the English language: we've misnamed the common sandwich!

So seeyalaterbye I'm gonna go make myself a sandwichii. ;) Or maybe half a sandwichii... :D

Last edited:
For me 1 meat sandwich contains 1/4 pound of meat on 6 ounces of bread and 1/2 sandwich contains 1/8 pound of meat on 3 ounces of bread.
Problem is, I too often eat 2 sandwiches for brunch.

Good Afternoon,

Interesting question.

If a person takes 1 slice of bread ( not 2 slices of bread ) and slices it into two parts, they have a half of a sandwich ! At least according to my maths.

Have nice Sunday.
M.C.

A whole open faced sandwich. Unless you cut it in half. Then you would have two half-open-faced sandwiches.

.4-

.20, I agree, an open faced sandwich would be a whole sandwich. But, I could have a half if I only used HALF the ingredients.

In Denmark a sandwich is usually half a slice of heavy rye plus butter or lard and a cold cut and garnishes.

I am extremely new here, but this convo has had me rolling since last night! It is honestly hilarious, but at the same time gets ya thinking! My thought, you can't have half of anything without first having a whole! In my case, I would never want just half of anything edible! lol!:pig:

Contrary to statements above you can have half of something without halving something first.

Wait, 30 minutes from now, you'll have waited a half hour.

Contrary to statements above you can have half of something without halving something first.

Wait, 30 minutes from now, you'll have waited a half hour.
True that, but you can't make, touch or eat time! The question I believe was can you "make" half...

I have to get my 2 cents (or half of that would be 1 cent) in here! :rolleyes:

I make two sandwiches every day which each contain two slices of bread, condiments and a good-sized stack of meat, veggies or PB&J. I slice each sandwich in half down the middle. Then I pack one full sandwich and 1/2 of the other sandwich into a bag for DH to take for his work break and wrap the other half on a plate for me to eat later.

So you could say he takes three half sandwiches, or one and a half sandwiches, but he doesn't take three sandwiches....at least not in my thinking. I have a half sandwich because that is all I can eat (with raw veggies or fruit).

Oh, and when I was apprenticing in the catering/cafe, I worked the sandwich station. One sandwich = two slices of bread with filling, and we always cut them in half and packaged them together. We sold half sandwiches, which meant we would take that sandwich and package the two pieces separately!

This is the kind of fun thread we need here. ;)

A whole open faced sandwich. Unless you cut it in half. Then you would have two half-open-faced sandwiches.

.4-

I agree, I would too.

However, if I were to cut the bread in half and then assemble a sandwich, I'd be more likely to say I'd made a half sandwich. Maybe just to emphasize how I was being so good by eating less.

Maybe it's just that once the bread is cut in half, you can't tell there isn't another half, ergo you've made what looks like a half a sandwich and that's what you call it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom