"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef
Contrary to statements above you can have half of something without halving something first.

Wait, 30 minutes from now, you'll have waited a half hour.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #32
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Contrary to statements above you can have half of something without halving something first.

Wait, 30 minutes from now, you'll have waited a half hour.
True that, but you can't make, touch or eat time! The question I believe was can you "make" half...

Matts girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #33
Certified Cake Maniac
I have to get my 2 cents (or half of that would be 1 cent) in here!

I make two sandwiches every day which each contain two slices of bread, condiments and a good-sized stack of meat, veggies or PB&J. I slice each sandwich in half down the middle. Then I pack one full sandwich and 1/2 of the other sandwich into a bag for DH to take for his work break and wrap the other half on a plate for me to eat later.

So you could say he takes three half sandwiches, or one and a half sandwiches, but he doesn't take three sandwiches....at least not in my thinking. I have a half sandwich because that is all I can eat (with raw veggies or fruit).

Oh, and when I was apprenticing in the catering/cafe, I worked the sandwich station. One sandwich = two slices of bread with filling, and we always cut them in half and packaged them together. We sold half sandwiches, which meant we would take that sandwich and package the two pieces separately!

This is the kind of fun thread we need here.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #34
Executive Chef
If you and a friend go to a restaurant, order a sandwich and split it, then each of you are having a half a sandwich.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
A whole open faced sandwich. Unless you cut it in half. Then you would have two half-open-faced sandwiches.

I agree, I would too.

However, if I were to cut the bread in half and then assemble a sandwich, I'd be more likely to say I'd made a half sandwich. Maybe just to emphasize how I was being so good by eating less.

Maybe it's just that once the bread is cut in half, you can't tell there isn't another half, ergo you've made what looks like a half a sandwich and that's what you call it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote