"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Half a sandwich

Posting an old family argument discussion for public review in hope that we can put the matter to a final conclusion.

The basis of the argument is this:

• It is IMPOSSIBLE to make half of a sandwich.
  • It is possible to make a sandwich and cut it in half resulting in two halves.
  • It is possible to make a sandwich from one slice of bread that is the same size as the previously mentioned halves but it is still a whole sandwich.
In either case a whole sandwich was brought into physical existence. One of the sandwiches is comparatively smaller in size.

A half of something results when it is divided in some manner.

What do you think?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

this is along the lines of one of zeno's paradoxe you know, like the one where if every step you took got you halfway to your goal, you'd never get there, in theory.

it's interesting, but impractical in real terms. you eventually get into negligible terms.

in the end, the person with the ruler that has smaller demarcations wins.

lol, i love the philosophy of physics. mc escher's drawings, bach's canons, and so on.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If I normally make a sandwich with 2 slices of bread, 3 ounces of meat, 1 ounce of cheese, 2 Tbs Mayo and 2 tsp mustard, and on my next effort I use half of everything...to my satisfaction, I have made a half sandwich.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
If I normally make a sandwich with 2 slices of bread, 3 ounces of meat, 1 ounce of cheese, 2 Tbs Mayo and 2 tsp mustard, and on my next effort I use half of everything...to my satisfaction, I have made a half sandwich.
No. That's what Mrs. 40 C keeps saying. You made a whole sandwich that's just smaller than normal.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
No. That's what Mrs. 40 C keeps saying. You made a whole sandwich that's just smaller than normal.

Then Mrs. 40 C is a real smart lady!

Do you agree that the "half" sandwich is HALF the calories and mass of the first sandwich?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #6

Yes of course. That is precisely why she keeps losing the argument.

It is half the mass of another object. But you can't say I made half a sandwich unless you made a bigger one and then cut it in half. You could say I made a small sandwich.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Executive Chef

If you take a WHOLE slice of bread, cut it in HALF, for argument's sake let's say diagonally from corner to corner, add sandwich ingredients to one half and cover them with the second half, you have made half a sandwich.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Yes of course. That is precisely why she keeps losing the argument.

It is half the mass of another object. But you can't say I made half a sandwich unless you made a bigger one and then cut it in half. You could say I made a small sandwich.

The other half of that sandwich is still in it's component parts in the packaging...
Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
If you take a WHOLE slice of bread, cut it in HALF, for argument's sake let's say diagonally from corner to corner, add sandwich ingredients to one half and cover them with the second half, you have made half a sandwich.
Yes I agree except that you made two halves. Not a half. My point exactly.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Executive Chef

No, if I made a sandwich with TWO slices of bread and sandwich ingredients and cut it in half diagonally corner to corner, THEN I would have made two halves. I took ONE SLICE of bread and made a sandwich with it, making it half a sandwich.

Tags
sandwich