"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I assume that a post which has "Nothing but the facts" and "Wikipedia" in the same sentence is ironic. :-D

Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was a kid we did not "beg for candy from strangers". We walked around the neighborhood and knew everyone's house we were stopping at. Some invited us in and gave us cider and warm candy apples from the oven. Of course this was years before the first razor blade or pin starting making the news.
Now I wish the holiday was confined to events, schools and parties. Having a bunch of kids walking the streets after dark, even with their parents, just doesn't seem right from a safety standpoint. Not to mention the trouble the older kids cause.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't encourage trick or treaters. I'm busy enough at work handing out to all the kids brought into the facility. The residents love it and the kids are safe and warm.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Our condo complex and the one next door have a lot of town homes in a smaller space than individual homes. We see a lot of little kids from the neighborhood and it's fun. My daughter brings my grandson up to trick or treat so we get to walk around to see the homes decorated.

Not to mention the carloads of kids that are brought in from the poorer neighborhoods in the next town so they can TorT safely.

We buy around 150 mini candy bars or so. When they are gone, we turn off the lights.

It's harmless, fun for grown-ups and children and I get the leftover candy.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

As a kid, I grew up on a farm. We didn't go trick or treating. My parents both taught school in addition to farming. It was our treat the next morning to see what the high schoolers did quiet in the dead of night to get back at their teachers. Like moving the out house to the front porch.

Mistake # 1. I bought candy Yesterday. Looks like I will need to get more Tommorroww. There are no kids who actually live on our block. They just magically appear at my door. I think it is exciting for them to dress up in costumes and do this. Free Candy. Squeals.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
Everymom

We give out candy to anyone who dresses up and comes to the door. I don't care how old they are! Dads with little ones get special treatment.

I'm a bit sad that the numbers of kids going around the neighbourhood have diminished in the last few years. Most of the kids go to the mall these days and wander about there.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Master Chef

We live in a nice neighborhood, kind of closed in development. We have been here since it started 15 years ago. I pretty much new, still know every kid and parent if not by name, then I recognize the face. But last 3-4 years we have these minivans pull in and bunch of kids come out and ran from door to door collecting candy. Very entrepreneurial, but I do not like it. It is not even that mind giving candy, we buy few bags and that is all we give out no matter how many kids show up. I just feel bad that our kids, I mean our neighborhood kids are not going to get any if these visitors are going to collect all.
But I cannot just say to them hey you are not from here, you are not getting candy.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
We live in a nice neighborhood, kind of closed in development. We have been here since it started 15 years ago. I pretty much new, still know every kid and parent if not by name, then I recognize the face. But last 3-4 years we have these minivans pull in and bunch of kids come out and ran from door to door collecting candy. Very entrepreneurial, but I do not like it. It is not even that mind giving candy, we buy few bags and that is all we give out no matter how many kids show up. I just feel bad that our kids, I mean our neighborhood kids are not going to get any if these visitors are going to collect all.
But I cannot just say to them hey you are not from here, you are not getting candy.
What my mother used to do, this was when we had moved and I no longer trick or treated, was have two sets of handouts. We did not have a lot of younger kids in that neighborhood, but the ones we did would get something nice and the transplants would get something simple, like one piece of wrapped hard candy. Nothing went to waste as she would buy something she liked for the simple handout, too, probably butterscotch if I recall.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Head Chef

I did actually grow up with it so I am aware of it for much longer than 20 years in the UK , it just got bigger and became more of a dressing up themed night .

Our main activity on Halloween was actually called Duckapple when I was young we always did duck apple , fishing for apples in a bowl of water with your mouth.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I did actually grow up with it so I am aware of it for much longer than 20 years in the UK , it just got bigger and became more of a dressing up themed night .

Our main activity on Halloween was actually called Duckapple when I was young we always did duck apple , fishing for apples in a bowl of water with your mouth.
We call that bobbing for apples.