Halloween for people who didn't grow up with it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did actually grow up with it so I am aware of it for much longer than 20 years in the UK , it just got bigger and became more of a dressing up themed night .

Our main activity on Halloween was actually called Duckapple when I was young we always did duck apple , fishing for apples in a bowl of water with your mouth.
Oh yes, we always had duck apple (or bobbing for apples as it was called in our neighbourhood) at hallowe'en parties. And one of the grown ups always told the murder story. The group sits around a table in the dark and the grown up tells the story of the man who goes on a journey across the moors on a dark and windy night (much emphasis on howling winds and eerie darkness) and when he doesn't return his wife goes to look for him. First she finds his hand (a rubber glove partially filled with wet sand and chilled in the 'fridge is passed round the group). Then she finds his eyes (2 peeled grapes - passed round the group). Then his finger ( a cooked sausage passed round the group. And it goes on like that with various body parts culminating IIRC with his brain but I can't remember what represented his brain! All in the dark of course. Much shrieking all round and hugely enjoyable. And there would be "Snapdragon" for the older teenagers - involved plucking raisins off a plate of burning brandy and trying not to burn your fingers (very old game going back centuries so possible known in north America?)

It was trick or treating that I was referring to as being a relatively recent arrival

When we were young we went to all the neighbors to trick or treat. Many time they would tell us we had to do a trick to get the treat. It was not at all uncommon for us to get home made things like popcorn balls and carmel apples. Often times the parents would come with us and they would have a drink at each stop. It was a party for everyone.

No longer is it ok to do that stuff.

In our little town here they have trick or treat during the hours of 5:30 to 7:30 pm only.

When we first moved here I thought it was very strange. But I do see the reasons for it. And actually I kind of like it because we know that after 7:30 there will be no more doorbell ringing.

There are some groups who do a trunk or treat where they set up in a church parking lot and the children can go there and receive their treats from the trunk of the car - now sounds kind of weird LOL But it's a safe option for them.

There are also several places around town where they can go for an organized "party" of sorts where they can play games etc rather than walking from house to house.

We enjoy seeing the little ones .. they are so excited and so cute.

We shall have a party! We have invited L, her Mamma, Carl, Gwen, DA's silly boyfriend, and a few of other DA's friends. I shall make the litterbox cake again. Carl and L want to learn of how to make it.

For the dinner, I shall make a simple meatloaf, green beans, corn on the cob, and a nice salad. Carl and L shall help. L is a very nice cook! She shall teach me of how to make nice seasoned green beans.

We the kids and cooks, will be in my basement lair of the cooking. Adults seem to want to help, and when two are on the walkers they shall become run over! Mamma L is now a good friend of DA so they all will be on the main floor while we plot and plan and cook!

And there are many beggars. Churches bring them here because it is very safe for little children.

This shall be so very much fun!

With love,
~Cat

We shall have a party! We have invited L, her Mamma, Carl, Gwen, DA's silly boyfriend, and a few of other DA's friends. I shall make the litterbox cake again. Carl and L want to learn of how to make it.

For the dinner, I shall make a simple meatloaf, green beans, corn on the cob, and a nice salad. Carl and L shall help. L is a very nice cook! She shall teach me of how to make nice seasoned green beans.

We the kids and cooks, will be in my basement lair of the cooking. Adults seem to want to help, and when two are on the walkers they shall become run over! Mamma L is now a good friend of DA so they all will be on the main floor while we plot and plan and cook!

And there are many beggars. Churches bring them here because it is very safe for little children.

This shall be so very much fun!

With love,
~Cat

Y'all know what's better than having a best friend? Having a best friend who can COOK! It sounds awesome, Cat. I can hardly wait!

If anything needs to be microwaved (as long as it isn't bread lol) I'm the microwave wizard, so I'll do it.

I've never met L's mom and some of these others, so that'll be awesome too. L is a hoot...I bet her Mom is too!

Cat, turn on your phone. I don't understand something in your notes and I've been trying to call you for 3 hours! Hellllllllllpp!

Carl

Oh I am sorry! I shall call. I promised Addie and Mamma the phone is off in Joy and I forgot of to turn it on.

With love,
~Cat

Oh I am sorry! I shall call. I promised Addie and Mamma the phone is off in Joy and I forgot of to turn it on.

With love,
~Cat
I leave my phone on in the car. I don't make calls and I don't answer the phone while I'm driving. On occasion I pull over and stop to answer a call. It's not that hard to ignore the phone ringing while you drive.

I leave my phone on in the car. I don't make calls and I don't answer the phone while I'm driving. On occasion I pull over and stop to answer a call. It's not that hard to ignore the phone ringing while you drive.

I am a new driver of a new car, and it is best for of me right now to not have of distractions of the phone in my Joy. I made of this promise to Addie and to Mamma.

Perhaps as I am older, we shall see of the phone.

But we are off of this topic! :ohmy:

I wonder, I think I shall dress in costume of tomorrow? This would be very much fun! I have a white sheet. I could cut holes for my eyes and say "wooooooooooo" at the beggars when they arrive to get their candy!

I think I shall do this!

With love,
~Cat

I am a new driver of a new car, and it is best for of me right now to not have of distractions of the phone in my Joy. I made of this promise to Addie and to Mamma.

Perhaps as I am older, we shall see of the phone.

But we are off of this topic! :ohmy:

I wonder, I think I shall dress in costume of tomorrow? This would be very much fun! I have a white sheet. I could cut holes for my eyes and say "wooooooooooo" at the beggars when they arrive to get their candy!

I think I shall do this!

With love,
~Cat

I have a Dracula cape and fangs I can wear. Do we know if L has a costume?

Carl

L has a witch costume her Mamma made for her. I think we are fine of this!

What is this wench dress?

With love,
~Cat

Last edited:
Sadly, with the rain we've been having, I had to bring the severed heads inside as they're not waterproof. The skulls are still outside, they're more waterproof.

I think I'll do zombie makeup tomorrow, though the rain is supposed to continue and may wash the fake blood off. Will have to see.

Cat, a wench dress might look something like this:
Beer Wench Costume lzq, Mixed color as shown S M, very cheap sexy lingerie, cheao sexy baby doll - HotSaleWear.Com

never in a million years...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
LOL! Slightly different, right?

I like yours better, PF.

Okay, Cat, looks like we're ready to roll tomorrow. See you then, and sweet dreams, Cat and y'all.

Happy Halloween!

Carl

Sweet dreams, Carl.

I think Carl is right of this! I like this one of PF much more!

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom