Halloween memories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
letscook, that is hilarious!!!! :LOL: :LOL:

i remember one of my sisters dressing me up as a vampire, and using a combo of black shoe polish and vaseline to dye and slick back my hair, and to draw in the widows peak.
you have no idea how many times my mom angrily scrubbed my head to get all of that goo out. :neutral:

i also remember learning how to melt down the nozzle on a shaving cream can to make it spray about 20 feet. in fact, i remember telling alix how to do it when i first joined here.
if you're mean you can do it with nair, but i don't recommend it; unless your hair has been protected by a thick layer of blackened vaseline. :(

did anyone else use old socks full of baby powder as a sort of club? the more threadbare the better as a delivery system for the powder... :innocent:

did anyone else use old socks full of baby powder as a sort of club? the more threadbare the better as a delivery system for the powder... :innocent:

That one is just too good also. Why is it only males think this stuff up?

no, though, I remember my worst memory was having to memorize The Owl and the Pussycat" by Ogden Nash for 4th grade (aged 9) before being allowed out to T or T as it was due the next day------I hated Mrs. Matocha for assigning that.......it was mean.......but guess what poem I can recite until this day..........

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat
They took some honey and plenty of money wrapped up in a five pound note
The owl looked up to the stars above and sang on a small guitar
Etc, etc, etc, the rest today's censors would bleep out though it was a children's poem

Anyway, I would have taken an angry shampooing of my hair as opposed to having to memorize that poem........as it was I still made out like a bandit.........but I could have made more.........grrrrrrrrrrrr

I remember one Halloween my mother was in the hospital giving birth to my brother so my grandma was staying with us. She despises the smell of apples and we had been given three apples each that year. She made us keep them out on the back porch until she left. lol Like we cared about the apples!

Years later my dad replaced the plastic apple in her fruit bowl with a real one. She didn't discover it for a week. I think it was all in her head.

What do you remember about halloween when you were a kid? Costumes, trick or treat, parties, haunted houses? Did your neighborhood have that house no one would dare to go up to the door?...
One house we lived in was the house no one wanted to come to! I don't really remember it. It was a converted garage and was set back from the street. There was ivy and stuff growing around it and I guess looked scary as it got dark.

Something I don't remember, but my mom told me about, was when I was about six. We had gone trick-or-treating and were home in bed. I got up in my sleep, put the bedspread over my head, and I went into the living room and said, "trick or treat!"

When I was almost nine (my birthday is six days after Halloween) we had just moved to Independence, Missouri. We had very little money. We went as ghosts that year because all we had for costumes were some old sheets. My dad cut eye and nose holes for us, then he took us out to get candy. I don't remember a single thing except for one woman. When we got there she started fussing all over us, saying that our eye holes weren't big enough. She got scissors and cut half the face away! I was so mad! Of course I didn't say anything to her about it, but I was mad. If we had been out by ourselves, she might have been right to do that, but we were with our dad!

When my sister and I were 13 and 11, we lived in San Diego again. We were on the way home from the store, so we didn't have our costumes on yet, but our mom told us we could stop at the houses on the way home. We went to this one woman's house. She looked at us, said, "You're too old," and shut the door in our faces!

Many years later, when my daughter Nancy was nine, I dressed up as a little girl and she (who was obviously nine--she didn't look older) dressed as a pregnant woman. We got to one house (I wasn't trick-or-treating, of course, just walking with her) and this woman looked at Nancy, with her hugely bulging belly, and asked, "And what are you dressed as?" Sheesh!

I was the worst mom when it came to Halloween! Nancy would get tired and would want to stop, but I would say, "Don't you want to go to just a few more houses on this block?" She would finally agree. Then she would complain again that she wanted to go home, so I would say, "But look at all the houses on the other side of the street, on the way home! Don't you want to go to them?!" I was horrible! And when she had her first set of braces, I got to have all the things she couldn't have with braces! Bad mom!!!

:)Barbara
P.S. I was just as bad about selling Girl Scout cookies. "Don't you want to make it to the next prize level?" LOL But she did sell more cookies than anyone in her troop!

Last edited:
Had an older lady, well how should we put it, liked the libations (son had her dried out once to no avail) and she put out a huge apple basket and I mean apple basket of candy on the front porch for the kids to pick and choose...........I liked her and told her that some kids were going to come along and empty the whole thing in one fatal swoop and not even care about the others......I don't know what genteel era she came from but she scoffed at the very idea........sure enough a beat-up station wagon that noone owned in our neighborhood drove by......burly teen stepped up to the front porch grabbed the basket and all and threw it in the trunk.........she never knew

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom