"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Master Chef

Halloween memories

What do you remember about halloween when you were a kid? Costumes, trick or treat, parties, haunted houses? Did your neighborhood have that house no one would dare to go up to the door?

I remember usually going as a hobo and those nasty plastic masks that were so hot! It was usually cold where I grew up and occasionally we'd be out trick or treating in the snow. In high school, our band hosted a haunted forest. There was a day camp located nest to the school and we were allowed to use it and set up scary scenes. We sold donuts, hot cider and chocolate in addition to admission tickets. It was always fun to work the scenes.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Cook

I remember when I was a little kid (I mean im only 23, so...wasn't that long ago, I still dress up) but there was over three or four feet of snow, it literally blizzarded all day. I got so much candy cause the normal parents wouldn't even let their kids out. And I was a ninja in a really thin suit of nylon pretty much. Wasn't pleasant, but I filled two full pillow covers :)

Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I remember one year I was 12 and my brother was 10 he dressed like an old lady complete with a borrowed old lady dress and shoes. Anyway he fell off a porch at one house and he was laying on his back feet up in the air dress over his head in his underwear. I laughed soo hard tears were streaming down my face.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Head Chef

Halloween was SO exciting when I was a kid!

I loved being out in the darkness with my mom and the other mothers and my friends, walking (skipping and running) from door to door, maybe a mile in total. It was chilly, and we sang Halloween songs, and smelled the leaves as we kicked through them, and the fires in people's fireplaces.

A magical night! And the candy was the least of the excitement!

Lee
Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Head Chef

I remember taking my (now) brother in law and his friend out to egg some of their friends ( I was 18 they were 13). They were in the back of my car, and when they went throw the eggs out of the car, the back windows were the child safety windows that only opened 1/2 way, and needless to say, the egg never left the car. They hit the inside of the window. Needless to say, we never did that again.

Then there was that time my mom dressed me up as mickey mouse when I was about 8. I had one of those crappy plastic masks that was secured by a rubber band that always got caught up in your hair, a clack shirt, red shorts with two HUGE buttons, and to top it off, my sisters ballet tights on. No one sat with me during lunch that day, but many people paraded back and forth to see me in my sisters ballet tights.

Finally, one of the better memories was we would carry a few costumes with us in our trick or treat bag. When we reached a house that gave good candy, we would sneak behind a bush and change costumes to go and re-trick or treat over and over again to load up on the " full sized " snickers bar, instead of the bite sized ones.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Master Chef

I met my first serious girlfriend in 1980 at a Halloween party. She was in a hot Arabian costume and I was in an even hotter ninja outfit. The all black outfit I had on was totally hot. I think she was turned on to my sexy costume more than anything else.....but that was ok. Whatever worked for me that night was good. We clicked. Yes, I was totally cool that evening. I remember it well. We were together for 3 years.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Master Chef

Another funny story is from 1985. My family dressed up as the scarecrow, tinman and lion from Wizard of Oz. I was the scarecrow, hubby was the tinman and I made a costume for our 1 year old son. We bought one of those siver vinyl sweat suits and made the rest of the tinman costume out of cardboard. Before going to the party, we had chili dogs for supper and hubby likes lots of onions on his. Went to the party and he started to really sweat in that vinyl suit. We walked outside to "release" the sweat by pulling open the elastic on the legs and arms. The onion smell just about made me pass out! He smelled like onions for 2 days despite numerous showers!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
Master Chef

I remember changing costumes 2 or 3 times in one night and visting the same houses over and over getting more candy. Specially the ones that were generous. Then all of us kids would gather at one persons house to separate and take tally of our bounty. Then trade... trade the candy you did not want to someone who had candy you wanted.

I also remember the 'scares' we would get around halloween about contaminated candy. And my mom and dad pouring over my candy to make sure it was safe. And the one year I was told that I could not go trick or treating... I had never been soooo bummed!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Master Chef

We would trick or treat on the way home from school because we were allowed to wear them to school back then, trick or treat again in the evening for hours. We would get pillow cases full of candy. Now my son will be 12 in november and he hasn't gone trick or treating in the last 3 or 4 years. He doesn't like it because he's not crazy about candy. I remember one year he got a small bags of Lay's potato chips in his plastic pumpkin and he was so excited. He absolutely loves potato chips, but really could care less for chocolate. I really miss making his costumes. That was always my favorite part.
Here is his first halloween costume. He was 18 days shy of his first birthday.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
Sous Chef

What stands out in my mind, was that it was a different world then. Me and my buddies would "saddle up" as soon as it started to get dark, and be gone for hours, ending up miles from home-and our parents didn't have to worry.

Back then, a "drive-by" was just what it sounded like-you actually "drove-by" someplace!! I can remember getting homemade candy and treats, popcorn balls and caramel apples-and we could eat them without having to take them to a hospital to be X-rayed! Evidently, the recipes that included razor blades and pins etc hadn't been thought up yet.

Our "costumes" were usually as simple as they could be-a "hobo" seemed to be one that we could all put together in a pinch, from dads old clothes in the attic, and a couple of coals from the BBQ grille. Conversely, the last costume I bought for my Grandson cost 130$!!! (in all fairness, it is a really cool shark costume, and he'll be getting his 3rd year out of it this year)

And of course, as we got older, we always had a stash of eggs and T.P. in our T or T bags-some "time honored" traditions never go out of style!!